GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Unless you already did it, could probably start with logging using the dongle APR sent you and giving them a diagnostic log šŸ¤£
i did, it only shows if you have a CEL basically. I had one because my DV was unplugged. Now its plugged in and im stuck at square 1

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Has any Golf R on here with either hpfp/lpfp and/or with mpi ran the dtr ethanol tune? I wanna see how they enjoyed it compared to the pump gas tune.
I know of an R owner running the DTR with HPFP/LPFP/MPI and E85. He ā€Šhighly recommends it. I would opt for it too but 93 octane is the best I have around me. E85 stations are too few here.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
No logging capabilities whatsoever with Apr if issues arise? Sounds meh

Most people at this level of modding their cars should have some sort of vag specific diagnostic tool whether it be VCDS or OBDeleven at least. Unless you pay someone to do the work on your car and donā€™t want to mess with it you should be prepared to pay someone to fix it. APR tunes arenā€™t as costly either as other companies that have flash tools. Probably 90% of people never have to log anything anyway.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Most people at this level of modding their cars should have some sort of vag specific diagnostic tool whether it be VCDS or OBDeleven at least. Unless you pay someone to do the work on your car and donā€™t want to mess with it you should be prepared to pay someone to fix it. APR tunes arenā€™t as costly either as other companies that have flash tools. Probably 90% of people never have to log anything anyway.
most companies at this level of tuning ability should have some sort of logging utility for diagnostics. unless they want to pay customers to do their work for them they should be prepared to make it available to them. APR is part of a much bigger company and can easily afford to offer it.
The 10% or less of customers with an upgraded turbo should definitely keep an eye on it.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The issue with both those listed options is their refresh rate is really not good for logging anyways cause unless you have a major or catastrophic issue while logging youā€™re not always going to catch the small variances that can be a sign of something progressing in the future.

Mk7R_matey

Car(s)
Mk7.5 Golf R DSG
The issue with both those listed options is their refresh rate is really not good for logging anyways cause unless you have a major or catastrophic issue while logging youā€™re not always going to catch the small variances that can be a sign of something progressing in the future.
THIS

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI

I 100% agree which is why I said ā€œatleastā€. Certainly some way better options out there like the Simos tools app for android which is pretty great.

Iā€™m sure if APR ever offers a flash tool for customers it will come with logging capabilities.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
This may be a loaded question and perhaps something to work with APR about.. but has anyone else with the DTR kit experienced the harsh shift into 3rd yet? Did some testing in Mexico yesterday, and even with low IAT temps (70F), the car still did it which was really weird. I always figured it was the result of timing being pulled with higher IAT's before, now I'm not so sure.

Car's been running great otherwise, loving the boost weather.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
This may be a loaded question and perhaps something to work with APR about.. but has anyone else with the DTR kit experienced the harsh shift into 3rd yet? Did some testing in Mexico yesterday, and even with low IAT temps (70F), the car still did it which was really weird. I always figured it was the result of timing being pulled with higher IAT's before, now I'm not so sure.

Car's been running great otherwise, loving the boost weather.

I have an occasional hard shift into 3rd and Iā€™m not even running the kit. Just the standard APR DSG tune.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Looks like someone has pushed this turbo to 458whp on 93 octane with MPI and a catless downpipe:

BFB7E745-FEA0-4DDB-B812-35FE7C817014.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkZEKe4udsq/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

(Also looks like he blew his original motor doing soā€¦)

Back up and running, interested to see what kind of times heā€™s putting down. Dyno numbers seem to be within the realm of a Vortex with MPI on pump (thread reference):

A3931E50-42AE-43CA-9B69-B6391374D41D.jpeg

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Love the claimed 15% loss through the drivetrain, LOL. Forgot we were back in the 70s. Back to measuring our dick from the bottom of our ballsack again.
It's not a claim. It's what the dyno said.

This is a european spec car in the middle east. Most everyone outside the USA does the rundown test after the pull to back calculate crank figures. The numbers quoted were from the dyno. Not an assumption on our end.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Im glad I didn't go with an XL, I prefer faster spool over more power. The DTR in this instance still spools slower than an XL. All in all, the DTR can get you the same peak power as a Vortex standard, but what you gain in the wallet you loose in turbo lag. I think the GT2260S would be the cheaper and faster-spooling option over the DTR.

Screenshot 2022-11-01 113603.jpg