GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Over-torqued my spark plugs! :-(

enobiko

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
I borrowed my brother's torque wrench to do my spark plugs correctly... and blew it! I set the torque, but it did not click, and I think I totally over-torqued one of the plugs. The other 3 I just tightened with my normal ratchet, probably tighter than spec.
So... what do I do? Do I back out the plug and re-tighten, or just leave it until the next plug change? I've had to drive the car since... No idea what is the issue with the stupid cheapo torque wrench (probably Harbor Freight or something...) I've tried it on my wheel studs, and again, it did not click! I had borrowed it previously, and it worked.
I'm worried that I might have damaged the threads, and backing it out may reveal the damage, vs. leaving it in (car is running fine).

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
I borrowed my brother's torque wrench to do my spark plugs correctly... and blew it! I set the torque, but it did not click, and I think I totally over-torqued one of the plugs. The other 3 I just tightened with my normal ratchet, probably tighter than spec.
So... what do I do? Do I back out the plug and re-tighten, or just leave it until the next plug change? I've had to drive the car since... No idea what is the issue with the stupid cheapo torque wrench (probably Harbor Freight or something...) I've tried it on my wheel studs, and again, it did not click! I had borrowed it previously, and it worked.
I'm worried that I might have damaged the threads, and backing it out may reveal the damage, vs. leaving it in (car is running fine).
Just back it out, you have to do it eventually anyways!

enobiko

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
Thanks for the response.
Backed it out, and tightened back up again. Doesn't seem to have suffered any permanent damage.
It was just... that moment when you think "Damn! I tried to do it right an use the torque wrench, and now it's tighter than if I had used a regular-length ratchet!"
Plus, the hassle of the "remove the coil packs when hot, then wait for the aluminum head to cool down before working on the plugs." I had time to do that today.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Thanks for the response.
Backed it out, and tightened back up again. Doesn't seem to have suffered any permanent damage.
It was just... that moment when you think "Damn! I tried to do it right an use the torque wrench, and now it's tighter than if I had used a regular-length ratchet!"
Plus, the hassle of the "remove the coil packs when hot, then wait for the aluminum head to cool down before working on the plugs." I had time to do that today.
Happy to hear it turned out alright in the end. Sometimes gutentight is good enough lol