GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

Wilkius

Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
UPDATE - a software flash of the BCM to a newer version and a couple of other tweaks (that my remote coder was able to do) solved this.
It's not an image of a golf that shows the lights (there's a clock in the centre above the radio) but the functionality is all there. Win! Not sure how to get it to be a golf interior but not too bothered either.

Euromike

Passed Driver's Ed
first of all, a big thank you to everyone here for publishing enough info to give me the confidence to tackle this myself!!

Got everything installed and coded for my fender amp. Works excellent, very happy with it! I am however having an issue with my backup camera. It works about half the time. When it doesn’t, a hard reset of the unit usually fixes it. The unit is coded for a backup camera in the 5f module byte 19.

The unit does like to cry about “park pilot” being unavailable. Did I miss some backup camera related coding?

Thanks!

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Yes it can. Actually, most 3Q0035880B’s on car-part are actually 3Q0035876’s. LKQ sent me the wrong unit 3 times and I finally found someone to actually check the pn before purchasing. It was an 876 but they brought the price down to match the older radio.
Now I’m so close to finally being able to shut the car off and still listen to the radio! The other things are cool too - navigation, better resolution, AA/Carplay, way less lag - but i never would’ve went with this retrofit if the dang radio just stayed on until I opened my door. Plus my MIB1 freezes and requires a reboot once a month.
Anyone able to confirm if 3Q0035880B is the correct MIB2 Nav (i.e. Discover Media) for a NAR Mk7.5? Looking to upgrade from MIB2 Composition Media (currently have 3Q0035844B.)

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Yes it can. Actually, most 3Q0035880B’s on car-part are actually 3Q0035876’s. LKQ sent me the wrong unit 3 times and I finally found someone to actually check the pn before purchasing. It was an 876 but they brought the price down to match the older radio.
Now I’m so close to finally being able to shut the car off and still listen to the radio! The other things are cool too - navigation, better resolution, AA/Carplay, way less lag - but i never would’ve went with this retrofit if the dang radio just stayed on until I opened my door. Plus my MIB1 freezes and requires a reboot once a month.
Welp, can confirm: ordered 880B from a breaker, got 876B ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ here's hoping there's no issues.

bmwm5pwr

Ready to race!
first of all, a big thank you to everyone here for publishing enough info to give me the confidence to tackle this myself!!

Got everything installed and coded for my fender amp. Works excellent, very happy with it! I am however having an issue with my backup camera. It works about half the time. When it doesn’t, a hard reset of the unit usually fixes it. The unit is coded for a backup camera in the 5f module byte 19.

The unit does like to cry about “park pilot” being unavailable. Did I miss some backup camera related coding?

Thanks!
i actually have the same exact issue with my retrofit, RVC comes on 10% of the time, and hard reset makes it work till the vehicle shut down again , did you get to the bottom of this issue?

Gael

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
Hey all, I'm looking into tackling this project as well. I have a 2015 Autobahn with the Fender audio, I found a guy parting out a 2017 GTI, can get the matching brain/head unit. Does it help at all to have them be a matching pair, or does that not really matter in the grand scheme of things with component protection etc?

Thanks in advance.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Hey all, I'm looking into tackling this project as well. I have a 2015 Autobahn with the Fender audio, I found a guy parting out a 2017 GTI, can get the matching brain/head unit. Does it help at all to have them be a matching pair, or does that not really matter in the grand scheme of things with component protection etc?

Thanks in advance.
Someone with better knowledge can probably elaborate, but the screen/brain unit just need to be compatible, doesn't have to be from the same car necessarily.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The head unit is the brain. Unless by head unit you mean the screen... In that case, makes no difference where the screen comes from. Same screens are used across the VW line, just fitted into different dash trim. Maybe the seller is willing to offer some kind of package deal. But otherwise get the screen from wherever you want.

You just need an MIB II screen (6.5" matte, 8" matte, or 8" glass) to go with an MIB II glove box unit (brain, if you will).

The MIB I screen will not work, different resolutions. Despite the different sizes, all the above mentioned MIB II screens are the same resolution.

Gael

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
Ahh, yeah. I meant head unit as screen and brain as the glove box guy. Looks like I have more learning to do.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion

Thanks in advance.
Should work well together. Do note that the fender amplifier under your seat should be compatable. There is a thread on this. Hopefully I linked to the thread in the intial post. From memory, one manufacture would not work with MIB1 Fender amp, but others would with a change in coding.

Found it: "IMPORTANT UPDATE: Per this thread a MIB1 amplifier can be made to work with a MIB2 head unit. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=806606&postcount=593 . MIB2.5 units and MIB2 3G0 035 047 units are not working with MIB1 amps. See here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...conversion-part-1.343701/page-88#post-7679873"

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
Should work well together. Do note that the fender amplifier under your seat should be compatable. There is a thread on this. Hopefully I linked to the thread in the intial post. From memory, one manufacture would not work with MIB1 Fender amp, but others would with a change in coding.

Found it: "IMPORTANT UPDATE: Per this thread a MIB1 amplifier can be made to work with a MIB2 head unit. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=806606&postcount=593 . MIB2.5 units and MIB2 3G0 035 047 units are not working with MIB1 amps. See here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...conversion-part-1.343701/page-88#post-7679873"
I have a Golf TDI SE with Fender audio, and yes, the Fender amp works with the MIB2 setup. The head unit that I got came out of a 2017 GTI without Fender or Nav. Works perfectly.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I have a Golf TDI SE with Fender audio, and yes, the Fender amp works with the MIB2 setup. The head unit that I got came out of a 2017 GTI without Fender or Nav. Works perfectly.
Just installed my retrofit this weekend, however I have a MIB2 3G0 035 047 unit now installed but the audio is terrible compared to my stock unit, sounds like there's almost no bass and it also sounds like everything is focused on the pillar tweeters. My 2015 Autobahn (Canada) came with no Fender audio with the MIB1, just bare bones system. Any findings on how I could maximize the compatibility?

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
It's been a long journey but I'm almost done my MIB2 retrofit on my Canadian NAR 2015 GTI Autobahn. Either opportune timing, or just plain luck (ebay seller sold it to someone in WA, USA who sold his GTI before being able to install it and got us in touch, thanks @rrador I believe), I had a chance to get a Hacked 3G0 035 047 head unit to stick to NAR parts for radio compatibility and Discover pro for future AID install (maps on dash and center console).
Question regarding this, I actually met @rrador in person and picked up my 3G0 035 047 unit for my 2015 MIB1 Autobahn with no Fender audio (shout out to @rrador btw really great guy). Installed it this weekend with a handfull of faults, and the audio sounds way worse than my stock headunit. I sent him the questions and we're working on it Tuesday (ECS modes and tire pressure sensors don't work either). Do you possibly have any advise on maximizing the compatability to regain the audio quality? Either something I'm missing or maybe just a coding tweak. OBD11 codes also throwing component protection, did you run into this problem with his unit? Thanks in advance.

Edit; made a post in the build thread with info.

Last edited:

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
@aegis The unit needs Golf parameters loaded to fix your sound. ESC modes and TPMS will be coding and/or adaptations.
Not sure if I need to feel dumb or not but I don't think I ever read this anywhere; I actually drove the car for the first time after install just now and the ESC/pressure temp errors disappeared when the car started moving. However it might be placebo but it feels like the pedal response is a bit sloppier. The car doesn't want to lurch when its standing still and you release the break. Overall feels slightly different, not necessarily bad I guess. Going to run another scan, sound problem still persists. It just sounds like it's looking for a subwoofer that doesn't exist.

Also, I can't find where to access driving modes now, it used to give me the option for Sport, Comfort and Custom profiles, but the only option I have now is ESC/ASR modes, mostly for traction control.
Regardless, hanks for the input (y)