GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake cooling ducts: Any interest?

Would you be interested in APR Brake Cooling Ducts?

• Yes

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I guess my message was intended to be 2 independent thoughts, I just didn't separate them in any way! The German kit seems pretty interesting since it comes with backing plates. The TCR ducts are just interesting to me as I did not know they existed.
Would be pretty cool if you could get the TCR ducts to be functional. Scoops like in the German kit on a lowered car spells trouble. I initially used GT3 deflectors instead of RS3 and they get pretty torn up.

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
Ive fitted the TCR ducts and they are functional. They arent intended to be brake ducts rather to be air curtains for the front wheels. They also reduce the high pressure at the front thats casued by the foglights. I would imagine they could be ducted to provide more airflow towrds the brakes though.

20220930_194458.jpg

20221001_141751.jpg

20221001_145558.jpg

20221001_145633.jpg

20221001_141828.jpg

morricus

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
What is the part # for the TCR ducts? Also, I would spend money on quality two piece rotors before a cooling kit. The stock single piece rotors are fine for street use, but absolutely suck on track. They cannot dissapate heat for shit. I track my car every weekend, with stock calipers, very aggressive pads, SRF fluid and Neuspeed two piece rotors. Zero fade, zero issues. And this is on R comps. The two piece rotors made an absolute world of difference.

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
What is the part # for the TCR ducts. [/QOUTE]
20221001_142004.jpg

Also, I would spend money on quality two piece rotors before a cooling kit. The stock single piece rotors are fine for street use, but absolutely suck on track. They cannot dissapate heat for shit. I track my car every weekend, with stock calipers, very aggressive pads, SRF fluid and Neuspeed two piece rotors. Zero fade, zero issues. And this is on R comps. The two piece rotors made an absolute world of difference.

Im running Girodiscs with Macan calipers and PFC track pads and master cylinder brace. SRF600 fluid. Have been good so far.

Again, the TCR ducts are not brake ducts.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm using Macan calipers, Zimmerman rotors, and power stop track day pads. They definitely aren't a street pad, they shoot sparks in braking zone and turn my entire car turns black from the dust. Noisy too.

I've been getting fade, but I also did some ABS adaptions that may have altered brake balance.

I've moved all the settings back to stock to see if that makes a difference.

But 2 piece rotors are next for me for braking. Neuspeed has 2 piece rotors in 345mm and they're reasonably priced.

morricus

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I'm using Macan calipers, Zimmerman rotors, and power stop track day pads. They definitely aren't a street pad, they shoot sparks in braking zone and turn my entire car turns black from the dust. Noisy too.

I've been getting fade, but I also did some ABS adaptions that may have altered brake balance.

I've moved all the settings back to stock to see if that makes a difference.

But 2 piece rotors are next for me for braking. Neuspeed has 2 piece rotors in 345mm and they're reasonably priced.
I'll bet money its all the rotors. I'd make sure you can get a set that has replacement rings readily available, like Nuespeed. ECS has a two-piece, but they're most likely chinese-made crap with questionable metallurgy, and I've never seem them advertise replacement rings.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'll bet money its all the rotors. I'd make sure you can get a set that has replacement rings readily available, like Nuespeed. ECS has a two-piece, but they're most likely chinese-made crap with questionable metallurgy, and I've never seem them advertise replacement rings.
The only thing that makes me want to try ducts with the Zimmerman rotors is that they have lifetime replacement from FCP. If I can keep temps down with ducts, it works nicely with my consumables budget.