GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
I want to see how it manages heat during a track day vs an is38. Does anyone go to the track anymore or is everyone being posers? 🤷
Strictly poser over here.

There was also that one APR’d out guy who was going to track it but got fed up with APR tech support, uninstalled it, and I’m 99% sure he switched to an EQT setup. He also said he wasn’t thrilled at the prospect of excess downshifting compared to his previous IS38.

Haven’t heard from him since (on Reddit at least), no idea how that worked out for him.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
wat

cold air is denser, equal volume = more oxygen. nothing easier about hotter air.
Unless the intake is "freer flowing"? Like sucking air through a straw vs breathing normally.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Strictly poser over here.

There was also that one APR’d out guy who was going to track it but got fed up with APR tech support, uninstalled it, and I’m 99% sure he switched to an EQT setup. He also said he wasn’t thrilled at the prospect of excess downshifting compared to his previous IS38.

Haven’t heard from him since (on Reddit at least), no idea how that worked out for him.
He seems to be much happier with his current setup. He was always looking for something more and it really was a sidestep for him.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
well i bought the apr wiper delete so lets see how things go for the next few weeks!

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
There was also that one APR’d out guy who was going to track it but got fed up with APR tech support

We could never get logs from him. We did get logs from another customer, which is how we found out the protection routines were causing the car to be way down on power by doubling up prematurely on some box codes. So, unfortunately, he never got to experience the kit with full power.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
We could never get logs from him. We did get logs from another customer, which is how we found out the protection routines were causing the car to be way down on power by doubling up prematurely on some box codes. So, unfortunately, he never got to experience the kit with full power.
To be fair to him he probably purchased it expecting a finished product instead he found out he's doing beta testing

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I think that's an unreasonable expectation. Anyone who's doing such a major change to their vehicle and pushing higher power like this has to expect the possibility of needing to troubleshoot something or provide logs, especially when you're one of the first to install it. Of course you're beta testing. Would be nice if APR made that part easier -- would be better for both the consumer and APR honestly. It's really disappointing (and surprising) that producing simple logs is too heavy of a lift for someone willing to spend thousands on a big turbo upgrade.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I think that's an unreasonable expectation. Anyone who's doing such a major change to their vehicle and pushing higher power like this has to expect the possibility of needing to troubleshoot something or provide logs, especially when you're one of the first to install it. Of course you're beta testing. Would be nice if APR made that part easier -- would be better for both the consumer and APR honestly. It's really disappointing that producing simple logs is too heavy of a lift for someone willing to spend thousands on a big turbo upgrade.
I would tend to agree with you if APR's brand (at least in the VW world, I don't know what they do for other brands) didn't revolve around dealer flashing and the OTS-set-it-and-forget-it mentality. You go to APR to buy a thing, install it, and it just works. I still recommend APR to people that ask me that just want like a one-time stage 1 (non-piggyback solution) tune for a bit more pep. Some people have had to treat this release like a custom tune, wait for dongles in the mail, etc. Just doesn't fit with their brand to me. They're always talking about how many years of R&D they do compared to competitors, but this release doesn't feel that way.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
To be fair to him he probably purchased it expecting a finished product instead he found out he's doing beta testing
Totally understandable. We gave him a refund.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
FWIW, we make mistake sometimes. We shouldn't, but sometimes it happens, especially given the revers engineering nature of tuning (It's not a simple open book!)

I guess the only thing I can stand on here though is that it's not uncommon with software, anywhere. VW itself runs into software issues. That's why they issue updates. And sometimes it's much worse. Go checkout the sentiment on the ID.4 forums over software. Wild bunch.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Arin, any updates on the emissions readiness for Rs with upgraded fuel pumps?

AsheToo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 GTI Autobahn
I would tend to agree with you if APR's brand (at least in the VW world, I don't know what they do for other brands) didn't revolve around dealer flashing and the OTS-set-it-and-forget-it mentality. You go to APR to buy a thing, install it, and it just works. I still recommend APR to people that ask me that just want like a one-time stage 1 (non-piggyback solution) tune for a bit more pep. Some people have had to treat this release like a custom tune, wait for dongles in the mail, etc. Just doesn't fit with their brand to me. They're always talking about how many years of R&D they do compared to competitors, but this release doesn't feel that way.
APR sets the expectations that this is easy-peasy, and @Arin@APR is left to pick up the pieces, which he does pretty good at.

When I went with APR Stage 1 ECU and TCU, I was hoping for plug 'n' play because that's one of their selling points...only to find out that the TCU tune wasn't yet ready for my box code. So I went down to Opelika so they could pull code from my TCU to see if their software would work, which it did, and they installed it. Ultimately Stage 1 ECU didn't turn out that great because I experienced the flat spot below 3,000 and then a sudden surge that makes for a crappy driving experience (this thread) - even after adding APR's TCU tune, catback, intercooler, intake, and reflashing to 93 AKI from 91 AKI. My installer, GMP Performance in Charlotte, rode in and drove my car, experienced what I was talking about, said they could understand why I don't like it, but said it's not unusual for APR Stage 1 on IS20 to be surge-y like that, and just keep the revs over 3,000 to avoid the problem.

Meanwhile, some people responding to the thread pointed out wastegate adaptation issues and factory BOV timing issues that EQT diagnosed and corrected for 2 years ago. So I submitted a ticket via email to APR a couple of days ago and haven't heard back yet.

So, yeah, I'm sure I can learn how to pull logs and etc, and go back and forth with APR and their dealers, but I was looking for what APR advertises, which is an easy turn-key upgrade done under the competency of their approved dealer network - I didn't want to be involved in my vendor's R&D, I don't have time. So far, it just hasn't worked out very well, and I've spent 2 or 3 times the money of the turbo upgrade with parts and labor on everything but the turbo and still don't have a decent experience even just on Stage 1.

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
my phone keeps crashing (android) when logging for APR. my wifes iphone can take the log but can't email the file.

tantalizingly close over here!! working on in, apr!

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
my phone keeps crashing (android) when logging for APR. my wifes iphone can take the log but can't email the file.

tantalizingly close over here!! working on in, apr!
have you tried getting a data plan for the phone?

or connecting to wifi?

or connecting the phone to a PC and grabbing the file?