GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yeah, the open intake flows better, no doubt. I didn't know that when I did this back in the summer, and I also wonder if the open box draws in hot under-hood air vs. colder air and if that matters. Either way, info above updated accordingly.
It most definitely draws in warmer air however testing shows that once you heat it in the turbo and cool it in the IC that small amount of temp makes no difference in the IATs....it does however change the turbo WG duty a bit as the turbo has to work a bit harder to compress the warmer air....but you are getting more/easier flow which may offset that.

Last edited:

acoustic_

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I think APR also specifically called out that their open intake was recommended, not the closed intake. Their closed intake doesn't actually flow much better than stock, at least according to that guy that flow tested a bunch of intakes APR Intake Flow Test

Thanks for sharing that website! Some awesome independent testing, first I've ever heard of it.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
It most definitely draws in warmer air however testing shows that once you heat it in the turbo and cool it in the IC that small amount of temp makes no difference in the IATs....it does however change the turbo WG duty a bit as the turbo has to work a bit harder to compress the warmer air.
Would this be balanced out by the turbo needing to work a bit harder to pull in enough air? So you're pulling in less dense air, which you need more of to compress to get the same pressure - but you pull it in more easily. Just conjecture here, no idea if this actually works in reality.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Would this be balanced out by the turbo needing to work a bit harder to pull in enough air? So you're pulling in less dense air, which you need more of to compress to get the same pressure - but you pull it in more easily. Just conjecture here, no idea if this actually works in reality.
100% how I look at this and I should have noted that. I would take a high-flow open intake over the stocker anyday if you are upgrading power.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
are we really talking about intakes now again?

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Well I mean "hot air" intakes should be fine if your intercooler is good enough. Speaking of, which one do you think is better? Front mount? Top mount? Stock mount? Cabin mount (for the AC)?

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Let’s get ready to rumble!

I mean let’s be honest, we’ve run out of topics since we finally determined this turbo won’t actually solve world hunger and stop the war in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Though it might just slow down climate change by some yet undetermined fraction of a percent (according to APR and the EPA).

scrllock

Autocross Champion
wat

cold air is denser, equal volume = more oxygen. nothing easier about hotter air.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Let’s get ready to rumble!

I mean let’s be honest, we’ve run out of topics since we finally determined this turbo won’t actually solve world hunger and stop the war in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Though it might just slow down climate change by some yet undetermined fraction of a percent (according to APR and the EPA).
Not with how i drive. Probably hoon it more now than if it was stock haha (dont quote this in my fa thread pls)

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Not with how i drive. Probably hoon it more now than if it was stock haha (dont quote this in my fa thread pls)
Facts. I do try to balance out the 60-130s with the occasional 40 roll.

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
I want to see how it manages heat during a track day vs an is38. Does anyone go to the track anymore or is everyone being posers?
Sorry been absent from this thread for a bit.. took my car to Watkins Glen. It performed great. The power band was really smooth and predictable throughout the corners especially.

The only issue I had was a bit of blue smoke puff clouds every once in a while (thanks stock pcv) but other then that it moved out great. I cannonballed from buffalo to track to make it in time for the deadline they had that day. So drove hard 2 hours, then got right on the track and drove even harder. After it was all said and done, drove back home. Very pleased. It was a 93 degree day too. IATs were in the +110s F most of the day lol. Never beat on the car that hard before, it took it like it was just another day in the office.

View attachment 254198
View attachment 254199
View attachment 254200
From patrykd07 many pages ago.