Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Have you tried moving the sparkplugs and coils around to see if issue stays at cyl#3 ? Just curious. It's also possible that engine harmonics at high rpm are causing the grounds on the coils to freak out, weird that it is just #3 though. I had this problem on my Supra and had several places look at it. Ended up adding grounds and that finally chased the problem away.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Have you tried moving the sparkplugs and coils around to see if issue stays at cyl#3 ? Just curious. It's also possible that engine harmonics at high rpm are causing the grounds on the coils to freak out, weird that it is just #3 though. I had this problem on my Supra and had several places look at it. Ended up adding grounds and that finally chased the problem away.
I did. Plugs are completely new, coils have been swapped. Matt was thinking grounds are the next place for me to look. Looks like an EQT grounding kit is in my future.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I did. Plugs are completely new, coils have been swapped. Matt was thinking grounds are the next place for me to look. Looks like an EQT grounding kit is in my future.
Awesome, I think it's the grounds too. I should probably get a kit as well, preventative measures that save me frustration will always win in my book.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
If you look at your rpms. It does something weird just before the spike... this is from back in May:
Screenshot_20221004_095310_Chrome.jpg

This is when I guess it doesn't spike...

Screenshot_20221004_095215_Chrome.jpg

Whatever it's doing the second time it has enough to time to recover before it throws a code.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Given the cost of the kit, plus some international shipping, coupled with my skepticism of that kit actually doing anything asides from making plug changes easier, it might be better to spend a couple bucks and make a makeshift one yourself. Their 'standard' one, which they don't actually make anymore, should be able to be made pretty cheaply with materials from a local hardware store.

1664891777037.png

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Given the cost of the kit, plus some international shipping, coupled with my skepticism of that kit actually doing anything asides from making plug changes easier, it might be better to spend a couple bucks and make a makeshift one yourself. Their 'standard' one, which they don't actually make anymore, should be able to be made pretty cheaply with materials from a local hardware store.

View attachment 262192
Jon, I can't do this shit. I'm a bolt-on boy. I don't make things, I just attach them.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
This goes back to my theory about the engine speed sensor.....
Looking at data. That's my guess. I just don't see how grounding would cause issues only at a specific time. If grounds were bad wouldn't it be intermittent?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Looking at data. That's my guess. I just don't see how grounding would cause issues only at a specific time. If grounds were bad wouldn't it be intermittent?
Do we know where this thing is located on a mk7? Is it going to be one of these wonderful things where I have to pull the motor to access it?

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I haven't done this personally, and it's a little hard to tell in these pictures, but at least the instructions are short.

Edit: it's #12 here
Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 8.14.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 8.05.53 AM.png