GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Well yea, the mk2 is the best GTI ever made. They took everything that made the mk1 great, and made it just that bit better.
I remember going from a mk1 to a mk2 GTI. The mk2 felt huge in comparison. Now the mk7 has more room than my wife's 92 Passat back then. lol.

But yeah, the mk1 is tiny, which is what makes it so much fun.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Ok, I need one of you computer nerds to point me in the right direction here. Looking for a Mac compatible external hard drive solution. Will be used almost exclusively for kids photos and videos to get them off my ever more expensive cloud storage and I won't be regularly accessing the files. I would like something with dual drives in case one gets damaged/corrupted (my wife would lose it if we lost all the baby photos). 2TB minimum, more than 5TB probably isn't necessary since it's mostly photos and some videos. I've done lots of internet searching and mostly seems like single drive USB devices are all I keep finding.

I use a G-Drive for my Mac. Works Great with time machine. I use it to back up my OS and for photos. But I also use a SSD for just photos that I back up also Incase the HD fails.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
ohh and my photos (from my camera) are stored on 2- SD cards as well. When they get full I do copy to computer, external HD and external SSD then clear them.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Ok, I need one of you computer nerds to point me in the right direction here. Looking for a Mac compatible external hard drive solution. Will be used almost exclusively for kids photos and videos to get them off my ever more expensive cloud storage and I won't be regularly accessing the files. I would like something with dual drives in case one gets damaged/corrupted (my wife would lose it if we lost all the baby photos). 2TB minimum, more than 5TB probably isn't necessary since it's mostly photos and some videos. I've done lots of internet searching and mostly seems like single drive USB devices are all I keep finding.

This article goes over a number of technologies, options, and products. For redundancy, you can use RAID, or you can copy to two drives. My take is that since you don't need to access your photos often, a RAID-1 based NAS would be the most economical solution.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Turkey and cheese sammy.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I use a G-Drive for my Mac. Works Great with time machine. I use it to back up my OS and for photos. But I also use a SSD for just photos that I back up also Incase the HD fails.

This article goes over a number of technologies, options, and products. For redundancy, you can use RAID, or you can copy to two drives. My take is that since you don't need to access your photos often, a RAID-1 based NAS would be the most economical solution.
Thanks both, article was really helpful. I think my best route might be to use my desktop/iMac as my primary with a G drive set up for time machine as the backup. I have about 1TB free on the iMac and only need 150gb or so in the short term, so that's probably fine. I'll need to upgrade my decade old computer far before I'll run out of space.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So, my login worked this morning but then battery pack on my machine had a short (wire was somehow pinched and pulled out of the connector)

Lost 2 more hours of OT. I can't win.

Except in Fantasy Football, 4-0. I guess this is where all my luck is going. 😆

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Does anyone else pull their feet up while pushing a shopping cart while in the parking lot?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
So, my login worked this morning but then battery pack on my machine had a short (wire was somehow pinched and pulled out of the connector)

Lost 2 more hours of OT. I can't win.

Except in Fantasy Football, 4-0. I guess this is where all my luck is going. 😆

That’s not your fault you shouldn’t lose time over that.

Status
Not open for further replies.