GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
1664373653309.jpg

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Just to be clear, even I have limits. I wouldn't trust Zhong Zhong injectors.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
My car when it sees me load up AliExpress...

1664374288309.png

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
M2 is the only recent BMW I'd own.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Date is set, carbon cleaning happening this Sunday Funday. Leaving the injectors alone.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Oh nom booboo what is you DOIN

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Well, carbon cleaning is done.

Getting the manifold off was pretty simple. Followed Charles' video. Didn't have to touch the fuel line. Hardest part was maybe getting that triple square loose at the bottom of the manifold support bracket? Didn't fully remove it, but loosened it a bit to have some wiggle room with the bracket. Idk, there was nothing really challenging.

Valves themselves were... not that bad, actually. Not sure if the chemical cleaning done a while ago actually did something, or if it had been cleaned before, but the valves were better than I was expecting.

What wasn't, was the chamber and the manifold runner plates. Oh god were those disgusting.

I found out why people don't take more pictures though. Getting good pictures is hard, and then half the time you have gloves on and are working with some nasty shit.

But here is an example before cleaning.

20221002_115241.jpg

Can see some cruddy build up, but the actual valve isn't too bad. Here's an after.

20221002_140634.jpg

You can still see they are looking much better though.

Here's the shit scrapped off the runner plates.

20221002_140939.jpg

They were fucking disgusting.

Cleaned everything, cleaned everything again, then cleaned everything a 3rd time, and then buttoned everything back up. All seems well. Low speed, like under 25mph 1st and 2nd with very light throttle might be smoother? Not sure. Went for a short drive, did a sweet AWD launch, and all is behaving as expected. Overall, I'd call it a success.

Only "tip" I'd say, since FCP's and Charles' videos cover everything and it's all pretty straightforward, is try to have some kind of small, like very small, tube adapter thing for your vacuum. So you can stick it in the chamber and suck shit out. We used a piece of 3/8" tubing, and just kind of tried to seal it with our hands at the vacuum attachment. But having something you can use to stick in the chamber that's attached to your vacuum is super helpful.

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Well, carbon cleaning is done.

Getting the manifold off was pretty simple. Followed Charle's video. Didn't have to touch the fuel line. Hardest part was maybe getting that triple square loose at the bottom of the manifold support bracket? Didn't fully remove it, but loosened it a bit to have some wiggle room with the bracket. Idk, there was nothing really challenging.

Valves themselves were... not that bad, actually. Not sure if the chemical cleaning done a while ago actually did something, or if it had been cleaned before, but th valves were better than I was expecting.

What wasn't, was the chamber, and the manifold runner plates. Oh God were those disgusting.

I found out why people don't take more pictures though. Getting good pictures is hard, and then half the time you have gloves on and working with some nasty shit.

But here is an example before cleaning.

View attachment 262079

Can see some cruddy build up, but the actual valve isn't too bad. Here's an after.

View attachment 262080

You can see they are looking much better still.

Here's the shit scrapped off the runner plates.

View attachment 262081

They were fucking disgusting.

Cleaned everything, cleaned everything again, then cleaned everything a 3rd time, and then buttoned everything back up. All seems well. Low speed, like under 25mph 1st and 2nd with very light throttle might be smoother? Not sure. Went for a short drive, did a sweet AWD launch, and all is behaving as expected. Overall, I'd call it a success.

Only "tip" I'd say, since FCP's and Charle's videos cover everything and it's all pretty straightforward, is try to have some kind of small, like very small, tube adapter thing for your vacuum. So you can stick it in the chamber and suck shit out. We used a piece of 3/8" tubing, and just kind of tried to seal it with our hands at the vacuum attachment. But having something you can use to stick in the chamber that's attached to your vacuum is super helpful.
Used the narrow crevice style tool on my shopvac, worked really well.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R