GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Ooh I can't answer this or Ed and the entire LBGEQT community would come after me again. 🚗💨🏳️‍🌈🤔

Even though I'm with Sneekytune cause of my personal experience I still suggest EQT to people, I don't play favorites. Cause it really is person preference, on the street there isn't one Dominant company.

lol k

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I got you bro, time for a breakdown to help my MK7 forum friends!

*Pricing reflects my Mods Only*
SneekyTune ECU Pro tune Cost $499.
No up charge for IS38, aftermarket Turbos or MPI.
Specify in email all your Mods and it will be tuned accordingly.
additional E85 Map extra $300
Total 93pump/E85 cost $699

SneekyTune Pros: Cost $$

SneekyTune Cons
NO DSG Tune.
Future Tune upgrades Cost $99
must setup Cobb Log info manually.

EQT Pro Tune Cost $500
with IS38 Turbo for GTI only $50
aftermarket upgraded turbo $100
Multi port injection $100
additional E85 map cost $400
Total "specific to my Build" 93pump/E85, +upgraded turbo and MPI. $1100

EQT Pros
Offers DSG tune/ DSG unlock $400, DSG tune $100
future Tune Upgrades $75
Offers live tune $200

Cons. Cost $$

Lets add a DSG tune for those with DSGs.
**Prices Reflect my Mods only.**
SneekyTune ECU 93/E85 $699
TVS Stage 2+ DSG tune $799, TVS personal flasher $249.99 Total $1048.99
Sneekytune ECU/ TVS TCU Total $1747.99

EQT ECU 93/E85 $1100
DSG unlock $400, DSG tune $100 total $500
EQT ECU/TCU total $1600

Conclusion: Going with ECU only SneekyTune can save you $400.
Complete ECU/TCU EQT can saves you $147.99

Tune wise, its personal preference. you can find SneekyTuned SportyMK7 still destroying everyone in the streets hes having trouble finding any GTI/Golf Rs to race him. Sneekytune SleepyGTI went to chasing Drag numbers, JessieGTI and so on.

you can find EQT support everywhere, Bryce on YouTube whos Vortex XL turbo Blew on his Built Golf R motor cough cough, oh sorry let me sip some tea 🍵. Bryce now has an Audi EQT tuned. also CPO on YouTube awesome dude, Jewels on YT also went EQT, the majority of the MK7 forum, also Apex wheels teamed up them.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I'm sure that'll help someone but I wasn't asking about pricing, that's all info you can find on their websites.
I was asking about actual driving experience- drivability, power delivery, knock retard, any possible "quirks", etc or are they really just "all the same"

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I'm sure that'll help someone but I wasn't asking about pricing, that's all info you can find on their websites.
I was asking about actual driving experience- drivability, power delivery, knock retard, any possible "quirks", etc or are they really just "all the same"

Throw some cash at it at find out? I'll pitch in a dollar, CAD.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
What are you looking for purchase Validation? Lol.

In my comment, I even added the people I know running SneekyTune and EQT. No one is complaining with either tune. Figured maybe price would help your decision.

But I think you got an EQT bias, I made an EQT joke and you search out a comment I made months ago? 😂😂 I didn't know I had people watching my every move like that. Just go EQT, call it a day.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
What are you looking for purchase Validation? Lol.

In my comment, I even added the people I know running SneekyTune and EQT. No one is complaining with either tune. Figured maybe price would help your decision.

But I think you got an EQT bias, I made an EQT joke and you search out a comment I made months ago? 😂😂 I didn't know I had people watching my every move like that. Just go EQT, call it a day.
Take a deep breath

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI SE 6MT
I'm too lazy to do any research so I'm asking here.

What's the deal with the absolutely terrible rev hang mainly for the 1-2 shift? A/C off. Do I have to deal with it until I get a clutch kit for this to go away?

Passenger's side oh shit handle doesn't fully return back up after letting go. Annoying. 2019 CPO with ~4K miles. Warranty?

Sunroof cover thing, when fully closed, will eventually open itself maybe 1/2 inch during normal commute driving which is also annoying. Warranty?

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG

What's the deal with the absolutely terrible rev hang mainly for the 1-2 shift? A/C off. Do I have to deal with it until I get a clutch kit for this to go away?

Passenger's side oh shit handle doesn't fully return back up after letting go. Annoying. 2019 CPO with ~4K miles. Warranty?

Sunroof cover thing, when fully closed, will eventually open itself maybe 1/2 inch during normal commute driving which is also annoying. Warranty?
Sunroof cover - you can try getting some Velcro strips and sticking strips of the loops side along the top of the sunshade opening. This is all VW will do to try and fix it.

Or just slide it shut that couple of inches every time you notice it. There’s really no fix for it.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch

Not much you can do about the gearing, a smfw will help but won't fix it completely.

Mounts help as well since there's less slop. Also remove the yellow diaphragm from the bleeder block. Again these won't "fix" rev hang but should make it less noticeable since everything's more responsive

And remember it could always be worse- you could be driving an automatic 😬

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Not much you can do about the gearing, a smfw will help but won't fix it completely.

Mounts help as well since there's less slop. Also remove the yellow diaphragm from the bleeder block. Again these won't "fix" rev hang but should make it less noticeable since everything's more responsive

And remember it could always be worse- you could be driving an automatic 😬
I did SMFW, mounts, removed diaphragm, still have the rev hang in the 1-2. I just wait until I'm in 2nd to give it the beans, 1st isn't all that useful anyway.

TooMuchFun

Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
At 45K miles with APR Stage 1, my stock clutch is starting to slip. I'm looking to replace it soon with something that is better suited to the tuned output. This is my DD.

What is the most NO HASSLE, NO ISSUES, NO SURPRISES drop-in upgrade? TTRS? RSR? Something else? Should I replace the flywheel too?

My previous car was a G35 coupe (very stiff clutch), so I'm totally fine with stiffer pedal pressure.

FWIW, I'm 63, been driving sticks forever, not an idiot, know how and when to downshift, but am an enthusiastic driver, and do flog it a bit on the weekends.

Thanks!

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
At 45K miles with APR Stage 1, my stock clutch is starting to slip. I'm looking to replace it soon with something that is better suited to the tuned output. This is my DD.

What is the most NO HASSLE, NO ISSUES, NO SURPRISES drop-in upgrade? TTRS? RSR? Something else? Should I replace the flywheel too?

My previous car was a G35 coupe (very stiff clutch), so I'm totally fine with stiffer pedal pressure.

FWIW, I'm 63, been driving sticks forever, not an idiot, know how and when to downshift, but am an enthusiastic driver, and do flog it a bit on the weekends.

Thanks!
Assuming you want to maintain the DMF and are staying at stage 1, the options you listed are good and basically the same thing. There's also a Sachs kit that's similar holding power. I went with the Sachs kit because it was the only option of the three available through FCP euro, so free replacement if it slips in the future Link

You can try to reuse your factory flywheel for any of these three options, but you run the risk of slipping again if you've glazed the flywheel surface at all. I would replace it while you're in there.

You don't have to do the RMS if it's not leaking, but not a bad idea to have the parts on hand if you open it up and find out it is.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI

Thanks!
Post above me is great advice.

If however you're looking to get spicy and live that single mass life, ACT is the way to go. Pedal effort is the same as stock, but it takes a beating unlike stock.