GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Picking for a few hours? How bad do you think your valves are? Mine at 55k had a coat and some build up on the valve stems. Honestly picks, a shop vac, the zip tie method and some valve cleaner with an extractor and you'll have them pretty clean in no time. Granted media blasting with the wand and shop vac works too I guess. I just cleaned most the gunk cause I was installing MPI and it literally took me maybe 5 minutes a chamber besides turning the engine over to close the valves.

Did you pick up the 034 or whatever adapter for the wand and shop vac?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/au...d-port-cleaning-tool-034motorsport-034108z054

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Picking for a few hours? How bad do you think your valves are? Mine at 55k had a coat and some build up on the valve stems. Honestly picks, a shop vac, the zip tie method and some valve cleaner with an extractor and you'll have them pretty clean in no time. Granted media blasting with the wand and shop vac works too I guess. I just cleaned most the gunk cause I was installing MPI and it literally took me maybe 5 minutes a chamber besides turning the engine over to close the valves.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/au...d-port-cleaning-tool-034motorsport-034108z054

The one Jay linked is 1/3rd the price, and actually looks like it works better. That 034 one you need someone to hold awkwardly against the cylinder head, the reviews on the RKX one say it actually "snaps" in.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma

To get them clean? Yes. Show pics of the valves after you did it I'm curious.
The one Jay linked is 1/3rd the price, and actually looks like it works better. That 034 one you need someone to hold awkwardly against the cylinder head, the reviews on the RKX one say it actually "snaps" in.
It does snap in place, used it probably 50+ times now, it works amazing

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
To get them clean? Yes. Show pics of the valves after you did it I'm curious.

It does snap in place, used it probably 50+ times now, it works amazing
I'll have to see if I took any, mainly took before pictures to get opinions on if I needed to clean with the MPI install or not - Didn't want to blow chunks of stuff into the combustion chamber. Though the ziptie trick with valve cleaner gets them pretty clean. Then just extract out the mess. Picks work pretty well too. Though all my buildup was gunky and not rock solid so perhaps it would have been a different experience. 🤷‍♂️

Apartment life means no compressor, so Blasting was out of the question. FCP has a video on the ziptie trick with valve cleaner and I just followed that.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So let's see.

FCP has this kit for $335.06.

Oooorr....

I can grab this Harbor Freight Media Blaster for $76.49. Which is actually the same one FCP uses in their DIY video 🤣

1663982790974.png

25lb of fine grit walnut shell from HF for $29.99 (vs. $58.34 for 10lb of 18-40 grit from FCP)

The RKX adatper for $19.74 from Amazon Warehouse Deals in "like new condition".

And will still probably grab the wand from FCP for $18.69 since I like the way it looks.

Total cost ends up being under $150 to get everything I need, saving almost a cool $200 from the FCP kit.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
So let's see.

FCP has this kit for $335.06.

Oooorr....

I can grab this Harbor Freight Media Blaster for $76.49. Which is actually the same one FCP uses in their DIY video 🤣

View attachment 261390

25lb of fine grit walnut shell from HF for $29.99 (vs. $58.34 for 10lb of 18-40 grit from FCP)

The RKX adatper for $19.74 from Amazon Warehouse Deals in "like new condition".

And will still probably grab the wand from FCP for $18.69 since I like the way it looks.

Total cost ends up being under $150 to get everything I need, saving almost a cool $200 from the FCP kit.
Only bonus to FCP is you can indefinitely recycle your media and everything has the lifetime warranty.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Manifold is a bit of a bitch to get off. Buy a stubby 30 torx, also get 1/4" extensions to get the bottom t30's off the manifold.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Manifold is a bit of a bitch to get off. Buy a stubby 30 torx, also get 1/4" extensions to get the bottom t30's off the manifold.

Thanks for the tips. Way I see it is "Can't be worse than the turbo."

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Ahh shit.

I ordered that media blasting wand from FCP last night. I should have ordered a new manifold gasket at the same time, could have got free shipping :(

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Thanks for the tips. Way I see it is "Can't be worse than the turbo."
It’s up there. I had some sensor that were tough to get off. Removing the throttle pipe is a bitch. I started yesterday but was missing that extension. Going back to it now.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Jon give them a call. They have been able to add items to my order as long as it hasn't shipped.

They're closed over the weekend, I can try giving them a call on Monday.