GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PS4S Fronts roached after 7k

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Just noticed today when jacking my car to check on a boost leak that my front PS4S's are corded on the insides after only 7k miles.
Fresh set of PS4S went on a little over a year ago. Was running -2° camber at the time with Eurosport Camber mounts, Superpro LCA's + PSS10s 1/2" lower vs stock
Alignment was done right after install of tires. Ran that set up for 5k of the 7k miles
At 5k miles mark of the 7k on tires I added 034 roll center ball joints (and warrantied Superpro LCAs ) to get to -3°. Alignment done right after as well.
I understand with my driving style (lots of mountain runs/canyon carving, spirited back roads) that I'll have reduced life but this seems ridiculous based on past cars I have had with same driving style and semi aggressive camber set up.
My R does have a Vortex Std running E40 and E85 so quite a bit of power over stock but I dont do a lot of launches etc.
For those running in the -3° neighborhood on camber any suggestions on toe settings to get some more usable life? I think I didn't help my cause by not rotating sooner, but again 7k miles seems like a narrow window to shred these tires.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Just noticed today when jacking my car to check on a boost leak that my front PS4S's are corded on the insides after only 7k miles.
Fresh set of PS4S went on a little over a year ago. Was running -2° camber at the time with Eurosport Camber mounts, Superpro LCA's + PSS10s 1/2" lower vs stock
Alignment was done right after install of tires. Ran that set up for 5k of the 7k miles
At 5k miles mark of the 7k on tires I added 034 roll center ball joints (and warrantied Superpro LCAs ) to get to -3°. Alignment done right after as well.
I understand with my driving style (lots of mountain runs/canyon carving, spirited back roads) that I'll have reduced life but this seems ridiculous based on past cars I have had with same driving style and semi aggressive camber set up.
My R does have a Vortex Std running E40 and E85 so quite a bit of power over stock but I dont do a lot of launches etc.
For those running in the -3° neighborhood on camber any suggestions on toe settings to get some more usable life? I think I didn't help my cause by not rotating sooner, but again 7k miles seems like a narrow window to shred these tires.
Zero toe is the only way to reduce toe wear. What was your toe set to?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I’m at zero toe, about -2.9° camber, and have about 20k on the same tires. They do get rotated a few times a month when I swap out race tires.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I have been running -3 degrees for about 7k miles. I forget how many miles I was running -2.7 degrees before. I'm on PSAS4s, but I'm currently about 6/32" of tread and it's mostly even, maybe 1/32" more wear on the inside, if that.

As David said, toe is the biggest culprit for tire wear. I do 0 toe all around.

Reactions: MSH

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Thanks all. I specified 0 toe to both these shops at the time with just a touch of toe in in rear. I didn't make a big deal of it that they didn't nail it on both counts. In hindsight I should have been more adamant for them to adjust to where I specified.
The first shop when I was at -2° is a very reputable high performance shop here in Denver for VW/Audi, but on round 2 that's the cheapo Firestone alignment. My thought process was just get it aligned anywhere ASAP after the ball joints and then I was going to get it into a better shop for fine tuning. Well...I lagged and here I am.

1663938226732.png

1663938317042.png

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
You have factory toe settings, this should not on it's own cause the kind of tire wear you are experiencing.

Hmm odd. I wonder if the Superpro LCAs with the bad pillow ball bushing was allowing things to shift a bit? My shop and I had a heck of a time tracking the clunking noise I was having for many months (almost a yr) until I found a thread here on the forums where others had exact issue. Superpro ended up warranting the LCAs which were replaced when I had the 034 ball Joints installed.

1663951220947.png

Last edited:

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
FWIW, I had the firestone lifetime alignment on my previous car and it never had good tire wear. Nowhere near as bad as what you're reporting, but getting inner shoulder wear. I'd be getting maybe 25-30k from tires that should last 40. I went to many of their locations ranging from the Bay Area to LA/OC since I was moving back and forth during college. Always the same thing, and when I asked a tech about it, he said I should just run positive camber.... wtf? From my experience, I don't trust their machines to accurately read what the actual alignment is. Since selling that car, I've never gone back to Firestone. I'm surprised they even were willing to touch your car, since every location I went to only did factory settings.

But, echoing what David said. If that print out is accurate, it does not explain your excessive wear.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
FWIW, I had the firestone lifetime alignment on my previous car and it never had good tire wear. Nowhere near as bad as what you're reporting, but getting inner shoulder wear. I'd be getting maybe 25-30k from tires that should last 40. I went to many of their locations ranging from the Bay Area to LA/OC since I was moving back and forth during college. Always the same thing, and when I asked a tech about it, he said I should just run positive camber.... wtf? From my experience, I don't trust their machines to accurately read what the actual alignment is. Since selling that car, I've never gone back to Firestone. I'm surprised they even were willing to touch your car, since every location I went to only did factory settings.

But, echoing what David said. If that print out is accurate, it does not explain your excessive wear.

Thanks for the feedback. Yup expensive f up on my part. I just don’t know if the defective Superpro LCAs played a part. Whatever the case I already scheduled with another shop that confirmed they will get specs exactly where I want them. Discount Tire has 2 new ps4s coming in today. Damn the pricing has jumped on those things compared to last yr but is what it is

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Yeah that’s some crazy wear indeed when looking at your alignment sheet. when I was running -5.5 degrees and was on ps4s they were down to the bands link that till like 12k and that was on a GTI were I was spinning those fronts plenty

It sucks and my day ain't getting any better with this (which IE no longer stocks since its the old V1 IC) and my annoying rattling exhaust.

Boost hose blowout.jpg

GSXR

Passed Driver's Ed
Well you do have slight toe out with heavy camber. I did a bit more toe out with the same camber and wore out my tires in 2000 miles. That's actually not too bad.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Not the same tires, but I would wear through front Fk510 in 8k miles if I didn't rotate. -2.4 camber. Zero toe.

Rears we're good for about 20k miles or more

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Not the same tires, but I would wear through front Fk510 in 8k miles if I didn't rotate. -2.4 camber. Zero toe.

Rears we're good for about 20k miles or more
Yup I’m going to get way more aggressive with rotation schedule moving forward