GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Took it to the track (MSR Houston) for the first time this weekend, I had a blast!

The only issue I had was oil consumption I went through 3 quarts over 2 days!

14A03AA2-1867-4675-9992-542C0AECE425.jpeg
E2A7A211-3621-407B-BAD1-FC247CCBFC2E.jpeg

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I'm with Diggs on this one fellas. I've been down the JB4, Cobb, Eurodyne and am now self-tuning on OS with the help of Diggs and many others. While on Cobb I tried tunes from 5150 and MAPerformance. I moved over to Eurodyne and was tuned by Mabo and GLS Performance. Having the ability to completely control every aspect of your car appeals to me. No more sacrificing drivability for power. I can fine tune it to the nth degree. Plus there are several really awesome features on OS that the other tuners don't have.

Is there a learning curve to tuning with OS? Sure. But with the help I was given, the drivability of my car is leagues better than it ever was on any other tuning platform even on my basemap. I've thrown a lot of money away on tunes that I've always felt had some compromise to it or because I changed some hardware...I'm no longer paying people for that.

To each their own.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Just trying to help you open your eyes to other possibilities. It's September of 2022, this platform is 7+ years old. Tuning is overpriced. Invest a little time in learning something.
Let me start off by saying I respect the hell out of you guys who take the time to learn this.

That said, let's be honest here, tuning isn't without major risks. Either you get it ballpark right every single time (which you'd definitely need people like you to go over it first time around) or you could very realistically grenade your engine. Even big companies still get it wrong occasionally (looking at you IE's RAL file). For someone with the time and willingness to learn, along with the ability to repair what they break and have the car down for periods of time, learning how to tune could be a great skill to pick up. Some people just don't have the desire or time to dedicate to learning that particular skill. You can't possibly be an expert in every single thing when it comes to this hobby and there's nothing wrong with people deciding to focus their time learning something else and paying an expert in a particular area.

After all someone who does bodywork could say the same about investing time in learning something new, but we both know even with the same equipment I couldn't match a pro's results without a lot of practice. Maybe I just want my bumper color-matched and don't want to spend 10,000 hours learning bodywork. Same concept applies.

All this said of course now that my GTI is no longer a daily I did also entertain the idea of learning something new. Instead of learning to tune I ordered a 3D printer.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm with Diggs on this one fellas. I've been down the JB4, Cobb, Eurodyne and am now self-tuning on OS with the help of Diggs and many others. While on Cobb I tried tunes from 5150 and MAPerformance. I moved over to Eurodyne and was tuned by Mabo and GLS Performance. Having the ability to completely control every aspect of your car appeals to me. No more sacrificing drivability for power. I can fine tune it to the nth degree. Plus there are several really awesome features on OS that the other tuners don't have.

Is there a learning curve to tuning with OS? Sure. But with the help I was given, the drivability of my car is leagues better than it ever was on any other tuning platform even on my basemap. I've thrown a lot of money away on tunes that I've always felt had some compromise to it or because I changed some hardware...I'm no longer paying people for that.

To each their own.
I bought a used AP and a tune from EQT. It's powerful, smooth, and my engine seems really happy with it, I've been on the same plugs for 27,000 miles with no misfire or driveability issues. It sounds like your experience was in the earlier days of the platform and I can see how you'd be jaded, but the big tuners seem to have things figured out at this point.

I couldn't be happier with the AP and EQT tune. Once my car is fully prepped, I'll do a stg 2 protune on 93 octane, but the car is fantastic as it is. It could use an IC, it anyone wants to come help me install it when it cools down. lol.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
What PCV and CC setup are you using?
No CC with the BL revision PCV. I've been trying to figure out if I just need a CC or a plate and CC system.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I bought a used AP and a tune from EQT. It's powerful, smooth, and my engine seems really happy with it, I've been on the same plugs for 27,000 miles with no misfire or driveability issues. It sounds like your experience was in the earlier days of the platform and I can see how you'd be jaded, but the big tuners seem to have things figured out at this point.

I couldn't be happier with the AP and EQT tune. Once my car is fully prepped, I'll do a stg 2 protune on 93 octane, but the car is fantastic as it is. It could use an IC, it anyone wants to come help me install it when it cools down. lol.
I bought my AP used as well. The only real options at the time were 5150 and Stratified. I don't doubt things have come a long way since I was on Cobb.

Eurodyne is falling behind. Logging sucks (but is much better with an SL1 and simos tools ;)). However, there are some damn fast cars out there on it. I was really happy with my tune from GLS Performance; however, I really wanted wanted the ability to not have to push the clutch in to start, be able to change maps on the fly, add flex fuel capabilities and RAL.

I've added a bunch of hardware since I started this journey. 2 turbos, MPI, LPFP, sensors...for someone who's constantly changing things around, OS is a great solution. I have a buddy who's running EQT hardware and tune. Went from stock block to built block, 535/PM4 to RS3 pump, XL turbo to Typhoon...everytime he made a change he was charged to retune. Some people can afford that; I can't justify it anymore.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I bought my AP used as well. The only real options at the time were 5150 and Stratified. I don't doubt things have come a long way since I was on Cobb.

Eurodyne is falling behind. Logging sucks (but is much better with an SL1 and simos tools ;)). However, there are some damn fast cars out there on it. I was really happy with my tune from GLS Performance; however, I really wanted wanted the ability to not have to push the clutch in to start, be able to change maps on the fly, add flex fuel capabilities and RAL.

I've added a bunch of hardware since I started this journey. 2 turbos, MPI, LPFP, sensors...for someone who's constantly changing things around, OS is a great solution. I have a buddy who's running EQT hardware and tune. Went from stock block to built block, 535/PM4 to RS3 pump, XL turbo to Typhoon...everytime he made a change he was charged to retune. Some people can afford that; I can't justify it anymore.
I totally get that, it makes a ton of sense for you.

But I don't think it's a waste of money to hire a competent tuner for everyone. Most people are going to stay stg 1 or stg 2. For the guys going all out, I can see the appeal and how it's cheaper and more flexible.

It's just not for me.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI

Come up north.

I'm curious to see if @Acadia18 and I could call in a pizza order, start the IC swap, and then finish the swap before the pizza arrives.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Come up north.

I'm curious to see if @Acadia18 and I could call in a pizza order, start the IC swap, and then finish the swap before the pizza arrives.
Post a shipping label, I'll be there at the end of the month. 🤣🤣🤣

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Glad you’re ok 👍

I always have an element fire extinguisher in the car after my trip to Laguna Seca in 2018 where my friends TT-S brakes went out while braking for the corkscrew, the brakes caught fire too.

Flame suit on… how do brakes catch fire? I recognize they get very hot.