GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How-to: modify RS3 brake ducts to fit Superpro aluminum LCAs

tigeo

Autocross Champion
In case anyone wants to see how to modify the RS3 brake ducts to fit the Superpro aluminum LCAs...it's minor. Snip one guide off and drill a hole. Fits very tight now, before they were a bit loose without the hole. On the stock base-Golf LCAs I only had to snip off the most inward guide (and do some trimming to the main paddle portion of the duct to clear the brakes at full lock..got new ones here). You could neaten this up by snipping that tab by the hole flush with the duct as well for the ultimate in anal-retentiveness...also, don't forget to trim those zip tie ends with a pair of nail clippers!

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
20220908_101914.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Where did you get replacement zip ties?
I didn't use the OEM ties as they are to narrow IMHO...

Quote from my thread:-
I used black 9mm wide cable ties (Nylon 66, -35C to +85C, 79.37kg breaking strength) which fully fill the channels & are stronger!! The temperature range is not as high (+85C vs +105C) as the OEM cable ties, but even with my brakes very hot I doubt that even the closest cable tie will feel a temperature greater than 85C!!

Place the cable tie head at the front, on the underside facing the road & the tail should exit the head pointing straight down at the road. This makes cutting the surplus off easier as the duct is not in the way if you fit as per Audi with the head & tail facing towards the front of the car, & then tighten up. Basically, you do not want to over tighten & crack the plastic. Cut the surplus off FLUSH with the head, as per the standards & manufacturers of cable ties state!

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Didn't realize you put up a post here on the forums on this. I had only seen your FB post in the Alltrack group. Anyways, thanks again. This was super helpful. I ordered the ducts from e-acca back in Nov 2019 and seeing your mod ideas to make them fit better with the Superpro LCAs was the kick I needed to finally get them installed.

IMG_1681.jpg

GoatAutomotive

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
To the OP - thank you for posting this and taking the time!

I am new to this piece of hardware (the RS3 brake ducts).

1) Have folks experimented with these in braking-intense environments yet?

2) Canyon runs, downhill deals, track days, etc?

3) Any feedback, temp deltas, or otherwise side effects from the upgrade?

Asking because they look very different from the brake ducts I am acquainted with on V8 RWD applications.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Asking because they look very different from the brake ducts I am acquainted with on V8 RWD applications.

This was covered in my original thread & the particular post is this one:-

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...es-from-the-audi-rs3-2017.353411/post-7162363

tigeo

Autocross Champion

These have been used for quite a while at this point by many on the track and seem to be a proven helper for the v. low cost. Zero negatives.

Reactions: MSH

GoatAutomotive

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Thank you Dave and Tigeo! That's what I was looking for.

I have spent too much time in the engine, wheels and tires forums in the past. I've only recently began to research budget-friendly brake upgrades for the stock PP hardware.

Dave - I went down a rabbit hole for hours the other day reading your thread on the OE skid plates options for these cars, which branched off to other threads on why many folks hate the ECS version, etc. It was very helpful at redirecting me from wasting $$$ on an "upgrade" with a poor design behind it.

Keep up the great work! ✌️

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I was experiencing brake fade during mid summer autocross events, on larger courses.

I added these as a cheap potential remedy, and still experienced brake fade. 🙂

But autocross isn’t really an ideal event to get a great set of data from, as it’s all short duration, 60mph average top speed.

I swapped in better pads over OEM though, and that fixed my fade.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I was experiencing brake fade during mid summer autocross events, on larger courses.

I added these as a cheap potential remedy, and still experienced brake fade. 🙂

But autocross isn’t really an ideal event to get a great set of data from, as it’s all short duration, 60mph average top speed.

I swapped in better pads over OEM though, and that fixed my fade.
Haha yeah street pads just don't work for any application like that ducts or not.

Reactions: krs