GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Daily Driven STU Setup

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG

Todays fastest run, did very well today, almost took too time, which is tough as this is definitely a big American muscle dominated club.

Had plenty of people wanting to talk, surprised at the cars abilities. Even had a few beers brought my way.

Ungodly hot though, pushing 100° when I was trying to swap tires over.
That run looks seriously smooth, confident, and dialed in. Nicely done.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I had the United Motorsports Gen 5 Haldex tune done to my car today. I'm looking forward to seeing if this is value added, or wasted on the course. :cautious:

From others experiences on the track, it's been a value added there, which should transfer to the autocross course I'd think.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Holy cow the RT660s are so much faster. I went from 4-6 seconds back from the fastest drivers to 1-2. Still getting used to the car with them on so hit a lot of cones today, but man the difference was really noticeable.

Also a DSG note - APR's DSG tune with auto upshift turned off doesn't work well. It still auto upshifts on launch control, and then seemingly randomly besides that. So many double-shifts because of this, really kills your flow and one time even shunted me into a cone because I wasn't expecting the nose to be heavily weighted. It definitely works sometimes though, because I hit limiter more than once and the power just evaporates.

The 255/40r17s just barely clear with my setup. Stupid wide compared to the RS-4s of the same size.
PXL_20220820_023500245.jpg

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Holy cow the RT660s are so much faster. I went from 4-6 seconds back from the fastest drivers to 1-2. Still getting used to the car with them on so hit a lot of cones today, but man the difference was really noticeable.

Also a DSG note - APR's DSG tune with auto upshift turned off doesn't work well. It still auto upshifts on launch control, and then seemingly randomly besides that. So many double-shifts because of this, really kills your flow and one time even shunted me into a cone because I wasn't expecting the nose to be heavily weighted. It definitely works sometimes though, because I hit limiter more than once and the power just evaporates.

The 255/40r17s just barely clear with my setup. Stupid wide compared to the RS-4s of the same size.View attachment 258693
glad the 660s worked out for you, and great to hear about the clearance. bummed I couldn't get a ridealong (the pace of the dual driver grid was insane), but from outside the car looked really hooked up, and times looked really good.

I actually hadn't driven on RS4s until that event and can share my sentiment of them absolutely sucking at autox, my god.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
glad the 660s worked out for you, and great to hear about the clearance. bummed I couldn't get a ridealong (the pace of the dual driver grid was insane), but from outside the car looked really hooked up, and times looked really good.

I actually hadn't driven on RS4s until that event and can share my sentiment of them absolutely sucking at autox, my god.
They're not bad on the 5th run. But yeah, they have much less initial bite, but they wear like crazy

bfury5

Autocross Champion
They're not bad on the 5th run. But yeah, they have much less initial bite, but they wear like crazy
I've heard they barely wear, which is the issue when people want to wear them out and replace them. we were dual driving and still couldn't really get reasonable heat into them

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Here was one of my better runs. I think the only clean run... I kept barely clipping stuff when I expected to slide wide and didn't!

Trying a new camera angle. Think it would be better if it was 4-6" higher off the car, going to have to print and extension or an adapter to try that. Also should have solostorm set up for next time!

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I've heard they barely wear, which is the issue when people want to wear them out and replace them. we were dual driving and still couldn't really get reasonable heat into them

That's what i meant. They barely wear which makes them great for track. Not so much for AutoX

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
255 40 17 RT660's arriving today. Had TR heat cycle them, because next event is at night. Figure that'll be best bet to get at least some grip.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Devens is great... but they did have to move the slalom on the runway halfway through the afternoon because a pothole opened up. So don’t be too envious!
Hopefully they'll start patching stuff. Hopefully

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Holy crap are RT660's wide. V730 were significantly wider than RE71R's. RT660's are 1/2 in wider than V730 in 255 40 17.