GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
That’s what I was thinking but MAN is it tight as fuck lmao. Might start thinking about 18s after all. Or just 17in SM10s, those are supposed to fit. Thanks!
I have 17x8 RPF1s and the barrel clearance is probably 2-3mm. Definitely enough room for tiny pieces of gravel to get wedged in and create a horrendous, butt-puckering noise and shallow grooves on the barrel.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
I have 17x8 RPF1s and the barrel clearance is probably 2-3mm. Definitely enough room for tiny pieces of gravel to get wedged in and create a horrendous, butt-puckering noise and shallow grooves on the barrel.
Lol, my brake clearance to the barrel was about 0.5mm. Wheels are coming off and getting swapped though.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I have an occasional hiccup going uphill at about 1/2 throttle around 3.5~4K RPM in 3rd/4th gear. It feels almost like clutch slip except the car still pulls, just feels like power gets cut. Full tank, no wheelspin. Have not logged since its only happened 3 times or so in the last 6 months. 49K miles, tuned the last 6 months.
Clutch starting to slip? Fueling issue? Put in Ruths?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I have an occasional hiccup going uphill at about 1/2 throttle around 3.5~4K RPM in 3rd/4th gear. It feels almost like clutch slip except the car still pulls, just feels like power gets cut. Full tank, no wheelspin. Have not logged since its only happened 3 times or so in the last 6 months. 49K miles, tuned the last 6 months.
I know you said no wheelspin but given your turbo, and that it's happening under 50% throttle around 4k, especially going uphill... wheelspin sounds like the most likely explanation. Are you assuming no spin because no flashing light?

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I know you said no wheelspin but given your turbo, and that it's happening under 50% throttle around 4k, especially going uphill... wheelspin sounds like the most likely explanation. Are you assuming no spin because no flashing light?
No lights. Dry conditions. The Firehawks have about 25K on them, and rotated in Dec. Its about time to replace them. I hope thats it.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Log it and see. No codes? Look to see HPFP duty %.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
How long does the Cobb AP take to turn off? I went through the settings menu and enabled the two power settings in the menu but the thing was still on 5 minutes later.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
How long does the Cobb AP take to turn off? I went through the settings menu and enabled the two power settings in the menu but the thing was still on 5 minutes later.
About 15 seconds after key off. Sometimes it gets hung up if you leave it in the key on engine off position for a while.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
And sometimes it just stays on. It pissed me off to the point that I put mine back under the seat.
Yeah...I wager mine will end up back in the glove box again. Have an itch to have some extra gauges in my car and I have the AP so might as well.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Rear control arms are off the car…..should I do bushing upgrade? Or just refresh OEM?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
When mine were off didn’t bother to upgrade those for 2 reasons, 1. Low miles. 2. The only bushing I would have been upgrading was the inner control arm connection point since I wasn’t interested in pressing out and in the bushing on the rear spindle while it was on the car since that’s at the wheels side and should see more defection anyways.