GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Your track doesn't show 1/8 trap speed?
Cecil Raceway where I ran when stage 1 does. Capitol Raceway where I ran with the DTR doesn’t, or at least didn’t on that test and tune night. I much prefer Cecil, but it’s twice as far away.

Stage 1 (track) 1/8 ET
8.91 @ 83.73 mph / 2.30 60’

DTR AWD (track) 1/8 ET
8.649 @ (unknown mph) / 2.33 60’

DTR FWD (street) 1/8 ET
8.87 @ 90.37 mph / 2.45 60’

I really gotta get back to the track with this FWD file and air out my tires to do my ET’s proper justice.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
So for those with stock engines, this kit at $1500 will get you the equivalent of an FBO IS38 performance, albeit with a bit more up top, on an OEM downpipe. All costs are sunk, unless you sell the car and find a buyer willing to pay for the upgrade.

An IS38 FBO setup from stock would cost you $900 for the turbo, $725 for the AP, and let's call it $500 for a custom tune for the OEM downpipe. That's $2,125. Since the AP can only be sold married as the tune has to stay with the turbo, recovery costs are, what, $500, maybe? I know I wouldn't buy a used, married AP.

So this upgrade is right in the ballpark with the competition.

If you're already Stage 1 and want to upgrade from there, I see two alternatives.

Upgrade to the APR for $1500, unmarry the AP, and sell it for $600, for a net of $900. Very attractive. You lose the AP tune. Or, buy the IS38 for $900, and a custom tune for $500, total $1400. Quite a bit more.

All this forgetting sales, discounts, promotions, differences in power, blah blah blah. This is back of the envelope stuff.

Tear it apart.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
So for those with stock engines, this kit at $1500 will get you the equivalent of an FBO IS38 performance, albeit with a bit more up top, on an OEM downpipe. All costs are sunk, unless you sell the car and find a buyer willing to pay for the upgrade.

An IS38 FBO setup from stock would cost you $900 for the turbo, $725 for the AP, and let's call it $500 for a custom tune for the OEM downpipe. That's $2,125. Since the AP can only be sold married as the tune has to stay with the turbo, recovery costs are, what, $500, maybe? I know I wouldn't buy a used, married AP.

If you're already Stage 1 and want to upgrade from there, I see two alternatives.

Upgrade to the APR for $1500, unmarry the AP, and sell it for $600, for a net of $900. Very attractive. You lose the AP tune. Or, buy the IS38 for $900, and a custom tune for $500, total $1400. Quite a bit more.

All this forgetting sales, discounts, promotions, differences in power, blah blah blah. This is back of the envelope stuff.

Tear it apart.
IS38 FBO is full bolt-on meaning with a downpipe. That’s $550-1200 (or more) to factor in as the DTR is similar performance to an IS38 with aftermarket DP but with your stock one..

IS38 with stock DP is significantly less hp than with aftermarket DP or the DTR. Not sure if anyone has an ET to back that up.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
IS38 FBO is full bolt-on meaning with a downpipe. That’s $550-1200 (or more) to factor in as the DTR is similar performance to an IS38 with aftermarket DP but with your stock one..

IS38 with stock DP is significantly less hp than with aftermarket DP or the DTR. Not sure if anyone has an ET to back that up.
Is38 with stock downpipe is basically a stage 1 R tune.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Is38 with stock downpipe is basically a stage 1 R tune.
I believe APR’s IS38 stock DP 93 octane tune is 331 whp. Stage 1 R claims 338 whp.

No idea if the R was dyno’d in FWD mode for those numbers, but if its awhp the R tune is making quite a bit more power than the GTI IS38 on stock DP.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
My buddies APR stage 2, intake, downpipe but no intercooler tan 12.2@112 in the Florida heat last time we were at the track. This kit is emissions compliant stage 2 power with a steeper labor cost. I am curious to see what kind of power and times are achievable on e85 though, should help mitigate some of the heat issues with the stock downpipe.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
My buddies APR stage 2, intake, downpipe but no intercooler tan 12.2@112 in the Florida heat last time we were at the track. This kit is emissions compliant stage 2 power with a steeper labor cost. I am curious to see what kind of power and times are achievable on e85 though, should help mitigate some of the heat issues with the stock downpipe.
Stage 2 R, right? 12.2 @ 112 is like a 1.7 60’ which you’re definitely not getting in a GTI without slicks and possibly weight reduction.

I agree the DTR is definitely on par with a stage 2 R (which is IS38 FBO).

Edit: It’s also only steeper labor cost for an R, GTI it’s the same labor as IS38. I honestly feel like this kit should have just been marketed to GTI owners.

Last edited:

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Stage 2 R, right? 12.2 @ 112 is like a 1.7 60’ which you’re definitely not getting in a GTI without slicks and possibly weight reduction.

I agree the DTR is definitely on par with a stage 2 R (which is IS38 FBO).

Edit: It’s also only steeper labor cost for an R, GTI it’s the same labor as IS38. I honestly feel like this kit should have just been marketed to GTI owners.
Oh definitely. I am not hating on this kit at all and it’s an amazing option and price point for gti owners.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Not trying to turn this thread into a MK7 vs. so last time posting this stuff in here:

I just kept pace with a modded Jaguar F type R tonight. Unknown mods besides an aftermarket exhaust crackling. Never honked it out properly but we did several pulls past 120 and he was not pulling away at all, if anything I was inching up on him until he let off. I really need a dash cam, gopro or something.

I know nothing about those cars but I’m seeing online they trap in the 120s? so I have zero idea how he couldn’t pull on me. I would say he needed a driver mod, but these were pulls from +70mph and it wasn’t just one run. Is there a lower spec or something? He 100% had quad exhaust, the R badge and bright yellow calipers.

I wont try explain it, but man was it fun… especially the part when I returned from Mexico safely.

Edit: I’m seeing they do 0-60 in 3.6 and 0-130 in 14.7, so that would mean 60-130 in ~11.1. Im doing 60–130 in 11.6-8ish. If that math is right I can see how it was close, he still should have walked me though.

Edit 2: Surprise to me Dragy picked up one of the pulls, best one so far!

6F977320-1664-4676-B127-871046B30565.png

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI

Tear it apart.
Related note, if i ever decide i'd be better off parting ways with the DTR, can APR comment on if you would sell the tune separate and at what cost to a second hand buyer?

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^ ah thanks, i hadn't seen that yet.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Not trying to turn this thread into a MK7 vs. so last time posting this stuff in here:

I just kept pace with a modded Jaguar F type R tonight. Unknown mods besides an aftermarket exhaust crackling. Never honked it out properly but we did several pulls past 120 and he was not pulling away at all, if anything I was inching up on him until he let off. I really need a dash cam, gopro or something.

I know nothing about those cars but I’m seeing online they trap in the 120s? so I have zero idea how he couldn’t pull on me. I would say he needed a driver mod, but these were pulls from +70mph and it wasn’t just one run. Is there a lower spec or something? He 100% had quad exhaust, the R badge and bright yellow calipers.

I wont try explain it, but man was it fun… especially the part when I returned from Mexico safely.

Edit: I’m seeing they do 0-60 in 3.6 and 0-130 in 14.7, so that would mean 60-130 in ~11.1. Im doing 60–130 in 11.6-8ish. If that math is right I can see how it was close, he still should have walked me though.

Edit 2: Surprise to me Dragy picked up one of the pulls, best one so far!

View attachment 259664
That 100-110....woof

Car keeled over and died.

1662054429996.png