GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe What's the best brand ?

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
If i invested In a downpipe, i would invest in @GTI Jake .. his quality of work mint.. i haven’t made the decision to go that far yet.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
vw downpipe hands down! after all it is the most expensive therefore the best

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
I recently bought a downpipe from Jake and I almost wanted to keep it as some kind of Steampunk art and hang it on my wall; it was beautiful. It was an easy install and, with the midpipe resonator, it sounds perfect. Not too loud but with a satisfying growl. With AWE and APR out of the downpipe business, you can go low end, or you can go quality and buy from Jake...

Jonnyr6

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
Essentially it comes down to your budget. I'm finding it hard to argue that a 1000$+ dp will have any noticeable gains over a 300$ rev 9 dp. Until you're going big hp it won't really matter other than minor construction quality

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Essentially it comes down to your budget. I'm finding it hard to argue that a 1000$+ dp will have any noticeable gains over a 300$ rev 9 dp. Until you're going big hp it won't really matter other than minor construction quality

McDonalds sells “ribs” too, but I wouldn’t call it a smoke house.

I don’t kink shame, but personally I’m not paying $4 for a $0.12 McRib nor would I pay $300 for a $30 Chinesium DP.

So while I agree budgets vary, I would never recommend anyone buy or install a sub $1,000 downpipe in todays world…just leave it stock because modding for the sake of modding without meeting or exceeding OEM quality will always cost more in the long run.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
McDonalds sells “ribs” too, but I wouldn’t call it a smoke house.

I don’t kink shame, but personally I’m not paying $4 for a $0.12 McRib nor would I pay $300 for a $30 Chinesium DP.

So while I agree budgets vary, I would never recommend anyone buy or install a sub $1,000 downpipe in todays world…just leave it stock because modding for the sake of modding without meeting or exceeding OEM quality will always cost more in the long run.
  • Integrated Engineering
  • 034Motorsports
  • Unitronic
  • HPA
All ring up at less than $1,000.

Understand you don't recommend purchasing these. On the other hand, you sell a $230 chinese made intercooler as part of a $900 kit, so perhaps your perspective is biased by the price you sell your products for.

Jonnyr6

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
  • Integrated Engineering
  • 034Motorsports
  • Unitronic
  • HPA

Understand you don't recommend purchasing these. On the other hand, you sell a $230 chinese made intercooler as part of a $900 kit, so perhaps your perspective is biased by the price you sell your products for.
Agree. Comparing fast food to functional engine components are worlds apart. I'm with you about oem or better quality parts is always the best route, but it all comes down to budget and if someone can only afford a 300$ dp then they should go for it. Nothing wrong with modding on a budget. I've been running a rev 9 downpipe on stage 2 for over a year and have had no issues whatsoever

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
  • Integrated Engineering
  • 034Motorsports
  • Unitronic
  • HPA

I have a Chinese made iPhone in my hand as I type this, but like Vibrant Performance Apple’s QC, fit & finish, quality ect is second to none.

Agree. Comparing fast food to functional engine components are worlds apart. I'm with you about oem or better quality parts is always the best route, but it all comes down to budget and if someone can only afford a 300$ dp then they should go for it. Nothing wrong with modding on a budget. I've been running a rev 9 downpipe on stage 2 for over a year and have had no issues whatsoever

If you can only afford a $300 downpipe (which can be had for $80 btw) you should NOT be modding the car period from a financial standpoint.

Last edited:

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I have a Chinese made iPhone in my hand as I type this, but like Vibrant Performance Apple’s QC, fit & finish, quality ect is second to none.

If you can only afford a $300 downpipe (which can be had for $80 btw) you should NOT be modding the car period from a financial standpoint.
The point was that the intercooler, which is the dominant contributor to IC performance, costs $230. The additional $680 that the Baun kit costs does not increase the performance of the intercooler compared to a lower-cost alternative.

The more costly parts you are recommending haven't been demonstrated to be lower cost long-term. As a vendor, if you are making an objective statement about how products perform, you should be able to back them up with some evidence. Do you have evidence that demonstrates these sub-$1000 downpipes will cost more in the long run than more costly alternatives?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Just write your vlog about how you want him to prove it, and how you’re gonna snitch on him to CNN,Meta,Ronald macdonald,etc for the “unsubstantiated claim” of - cost more in the long run- and leave it off our forum about dirt bikes and Covid.

Can you imagine if a person got 86ed from an establishment for violating their POSTED rules (while mind you being warned prior…regardless of the reality that they are an adult which translates to me that they are not entitled to a slew of warning) and then came back with this 👇👇 on and the establishment just went with it
80A31EEF-AFCC-4D94-8B3B-76BEFBA8FF3E.jpeg

yeah that’s golfmk7.com…lol

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Do you have evidence that demonstrates these sub-$1000 downpipes will cost more in the long run than more costly alternatives?
Yes, if you installed one you should have it too. The $30 catalytic converter would have put a nice big CEL on your dash.

Also, when it's time to sell, you arent going to want to list "$250 Allison racing downpipe" on the listing, you would likely go back to stock since the inferior product significantly lowers the value of the vehicle.

I on the other hand, would be happy to list "custom made full stainless downpipe with GESI racing 400 cel catalytic converter" either with the car, or in a separate listing after.