GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Front Camera upgrade for RVC-HIGH

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
@o_a_ravi still waiting for the ATTiny, but here's my first sketch for the controller:
https://github.com/mrfixpl/front-cam-MQB-DIY/blob/v0.1/arduino sketch/frontCamController/frontCamController.ino

I was coding this without the vehicle, just with an old Arduino and one button, so I'm not sure if this is going to work. But still, if that's not a problem for you, please tak a look at it and let me know if this should work.

I think this code should work, will need some minor tweaks during testing. Few pointers on the code., we should include few additional helper libraries such as button libraries for debouncing, etc.

Also on your original idea., few pointers -

1. Camera Connection to MIB2 should always connected to either RVC Camera or the S-Video from Front Camera., which will be connected by a SPST relay., so Normally Open will be connected to Front Cam and Normally closed (Energized) will be to RVC Cam.

2. Controller module (custom) using a ATTINY / ARDUINO UNO microcontroller board will have few milli seconds delay to - boot up, initialize and load., not sure if this will cause an error on the MIB module., need to be tested out.

Due to this limitation, i was thinking of implementing the same idea, purely using transistor and relay combination for instant switching without delay. And use attiny/arduino for the additional switch just for toggling purpose and status LED (FrontCam / RearCam). The circuit i have in mind will work as follows -

1. F_Cam (Front Cam) is always connected to MIB Unit using the Relay.
2. MIB is switched to R_CAM (Reverse Cam) IF Gear_Status = R
3. When ParkTronic_Status (OrangeLED) is ON,
Set ATTINY Controller = ON (Arduino Circuit is electronically turned ON by Parktronic Signal)
Set CamStatusLED = OFF
Set Relay_Status = State of Relay as Input
If Relay_Staus = True ; Set CamStatusLED = RED (When Relay is energized)
If Relay_Status = FALSE; Set CamStatusLED = BLUE (When Relay is OFF, default Video Signal is Front Cam)
Enable Button Toggle function. -> If Button Press, Toggle Relay Status.

#3 is basically your secondary ATTINY circuit is enabled only when ParkTronic mode is active. Which also means that the camera function will work (and option to toggle camera source) only on ParkTronic mode.

I assume you have Park module - PLA 2.0 or PLA 3.0 enabled ? Which get activated when the vehicle is put on reverse, upon P button press or auto enabled on slow speed.?

Let me know your thoughts., will post the circuit shortly.

Last edited:

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
1. Camera Connection to MIB2 should always connected to either RVC Camera or the S-Video from Front Camera., which will be connected by a SPST relay., so Normally Open will be connected to Front Cam and Normally closed (Energized) will be to RVC Cam.

2. Controller module (custom) using a ATTINY / ARDUINO UNO microcontroller board will have few milli seconds delay to - boot up, initialize and load., not sure if this will cause an error on the MIB module., need to be tested out.

Due to this limitation, i was thinking of implementing the same idea, purely using transistor and relay combination for instant switching without delay. And use attiny/arduino for the additional switch just for toggling purpose and status LED (FrontCam / RearCam). The circuit i have in mind will work as follows -

1. F_Cam (Front Cam) is always connected to MIB Unit using the Relay.
2. MIB is switched to R_CAM (Reverse Cam) IF Gear_Status = R
3. When ParkTronic_Status (OrangeLED) is ON,
Set ATTINY Controller = ON (Arduino Circuit is electronically turned ON by Parktronic Signal)
Set CamStatusLED = OFF
Set Relay_Status = State of Relay as Input
If Relay_Staus = True ; Set CamStatusLED = RED (When Relay is energized)
If Relay_Status = FALSE; Set CamStatusLED = BLUE (When Relay is OFF, default Video Signal is Front Cam)
Enable Button Toggle function. -> If Button Press, Toggle Relay Status.

#3 is basically your secondary ATTINY circuit enabled only when ParkTronic mode is active. Which also means that the camera function will work only on ParkTronic mode.
Here's how I see it with my mind:

1. Most likely I'm going to use this relay which is SPDT type, with NC connected to RVC, NO connected to FrontCam. No power to the relay = RVC signal is fed to MIB.

2. I'm planning to power the controller from ignition (term_15). So it will be up and running before the engine is even on.

MIB can report fault code if there's no video feed provided when needed (both cameras disconnected). Usually this happens when people install 3rd party cameras powered from reverse light line. Those cameras boot up too slow and MIB will already assume that the camera is not there.

About debouncing - take a look at this: https://github.com/mathertel/OneButton
I found it by change few days ago. Looks like it will be perfect solution to implement some kind of settings with double-press.

I have PLA 2.0, if I recall correctly how my system is called. 8 sensors (4 front, 4 back), triggered with reverse gear, P button or at low speeds if there's obstacle in front.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Here's how I see it with my mind:

1. Most likely I'm going to use this relay which is SPDT type, with NC connected to RVC, NO connected to FrontCam. No power to the relay = RVC signal is fed to MIB.

2. I'm planning to power the controller from ignition (term_15). So it will be up and running before the engine is even on.

MIB can report fault code if there's no video feed provided when needed (both cameras disconnected). Usually this happens when people install 3rd party cameras powered from reverse light line. Those cameras boot up too slow and MIB will already assume that the camera is not there.

About debouncing - take a look at this: https://github.com/mathertel/OneButton
I found it by change few days ago. Looks like it will be perfect solution to implement some kind of settings with double-press.

I have PLA 2.0, if I recall correctly how my system is called. 8 sensors (4 front, 4 back), triggered with reverse gear, P button or at low speeds if there's obstacle in front.

Yes if you are powering it from T15., it should not be an issue. Consider using a .1 uf and a 100uf cap on the power lines to suppress line surges due to engine start. Also try to use opto isolators on all the input lines.
(Parktronic LED, Reverse Line)

I guess, both implementation., your initial idea and the logic from the code., and my design does almost the same function with slight variations on how the custom button is used.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
YES! finally ;) I really want a front camera and was considering the AreaView retrofit, but besides the cost it gets complicated on Golf because it does not exist from factory.

I'll be monitoring your progress.

first thing that comes to mind is that the front camera should be the same feed as the RVC-HIGH, I mean PAL/NTSC and same resolution.
I'm intentionally not thinking about the areaview retrofit cost.

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Preparing the relay.
20220823 - relay logic.jpg
20220823 - relay closeup.jpg

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Good choice with smaller relay. Mine is going to click like good old turn signal.

I’m going to place the controller board in center console since most of the connections are related to the OEM button panel.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Im interested in the custom button. Could a cheapish laser engraver accomplish this? Like a sub 200 dollar one from ebay, or would it require a more robust one? I want to change my areaview button. At this point its using the park assist button

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Oh and i saw you looking for graphics of your button, i have an areaview button for a tiguan, i can take a picture of it if you want.

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
@xabhax i believe that $200 laser engraver will be powerful enough to burn away the paint. I performed the test engraving at 20% power of the device that my friend have (he owns an ad agency and he uses this engraver to create stamps).
I'm just not sure if the $200 engraver can be precise enough to create a nice looking shape.

About the icon for the button. Here are some things that I found and might interest you for your setup. Those are not vectors, just low-quality raster graphics. But shapes are not that complicated and could be easily converted to vectors.
Zrzut ekranu 2022-08-24 o 08.47.09.png
...and couple more for other custom button configs, like 12V outlet controller, audio amp control, exhaust flaps control, race modes, favorite button, etc...
Zrzut ekranu 2022-08-24 o 08.52.28.png

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
I plan to use the left side switch panel as is., the - Mode Button as the custom momentary switch to switch video source., with a bicolor SMD type led to report status. I do not have drive profile mode enabled nor wired., so thats basically a blank switch.

mk7_centerconsole.jpg

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
I just got my hand on the RVC camera., can someone tell me if this is actually a highline model ? Got it used and the seller is telling he got this from a MK7 GTI 2015 model., so it should be already parameterized and calibrated. I am unable to check the actual camera inside it., unless i physically connect to the car with the CAN Lines attached to MIB.

20220825_111643.jpg
20220825_111657.jpg
20220825_111715.jpg

Definitely see a total of 7 pins (5 on the square connector, 2 for the video aux cable)., but also see a 4 pin connector., but i think this gets connected back from the Highline harness itself ? (probably - +12v, GND, HatchOpen Signal and Motor line for camera open) ?

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Good news and bad news:
Front camera is here! And it sucks! 😅

Package late (order had 15 days delivery guarantee), faded colors, lots of blur, and the most important part: 110° FOV instead of advertised 170°. Started dispute and waiting for refund. Looking for another one, this time something with higher quality.

Attachments

• IMG_8946.jpg
    IMG_8946.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_8947.jpg
    IMG_8947.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_8948.jpg
    IMG_8948.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8949.jpg
    IMG_8949.jpg