GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do it all Sportwagen - street/hoon/track/drag you name it....this is the way...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Such a clean engine bay. Intake looks good also, but I'm most impressed how clean the engine bay is.
Thanks! I am 80K/coming up on 4 years in Nov - in VA just don't get the rough winters that mess up the undercarraige/bay, run a full-length splash shield (TDI Jetta), and just hose it off frequently is really all.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Thanks! I am 80K/coming up on 4 years in Nov - in VA just don't get the rough winters that mess up the undercarraige/bay, run a full-length splash shield (TDI Jetta), and just hose it off frequently is really all.
I've never taken a hose to my engine bay. Maybe I should? Just hose it lightly? Though my car looks like shit and not taken care of, but I'm pretty OCD about wiring and sealing stuff.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I've never taken a hose to my engine bay. Maybe I should? Just hose it lightly? Though my car looks like shit and not taken care of, I'm pretty OCD about wiring and sealing stuff.
I just spray it off with a mild degreaser and hose it off with the most mild setting on the hose nozzle ("gentle shower" or similar). I've always done it that way with no issues. I don't aim a strong stream at the exposed connections etc.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
The FSB is 27mm and RSB is 25mm. Factory FSB is 24.5mm and RSB is 19mm and change. I don't think it's really any different feeling in terms of understeer just less body roll. I think more would do the FSB too if it was easier to do so the prevailing wisdom of "just do a RSB, if you do the front too it will understeer too much" is probalby based on that more than anything concrete. I've heard the same from several others that did both and praised it.
The front end felt more planted and the whole car was flatter as a whole after installing the 034 front sway bar. Understeer my a&&. :D

tigeo

Autocross Champion
R.gif

So I decided to nerd-out as I do and do some suspension measurements to figure my droop and bump travel. My setup is GSW w/4Mo + DSG, Bilstein B8s, Eurosport Street camber mounts, H&R Sport springs. Beyond those primary bits, I have H&R f./r. upgraded sway bars (27mm/25mm, respectively), 034 adjustable f. end links, Moog r. end links, Superpro aluminum LCAs, and the Tyrolsport f. deadset kit and 034 r. subrame inserts. What I did was measure the static level by doing wheel lip to fender lip both f. and r. and then jack up each until the wheels were off the ground and take the measurements again. Both were the same; 3.5" so 3.5" droop/extension travel. Next I was able to contact Bilstein and get the specs on each damper including total shaft travel/length and for the fronts the internal jaunce bumper length. I was able to find the r. jaunce bumper length by part no. Then I did some video testing to measure the actual bump travel up front using a speed bump. Data below:

Capture.JPG

So bottom line is, I don't have nearly as much travel up front as I thought I would have. Would be ideal to be at a 70/30% bump to droop ratio in my mind but I'd need to be able to pre-load the springs a bit to get that travel in that range and increase my ride height a bit - the B14/16 coilovers would allow me to do that. Going with the coilover that have adjustable bodies would remedy this more easily as you can set the bump/droop with preload independently of the ride height but of course you can put the tire through the fender with those too if you go too low. I noted I lost 0.25" of f. ride height after the LCAs/camber mounts/etc. so not sure there - maybe that changes the geo enough to do that? I can't see how else that would happen as the spring rate/strut length sets your ride height. I'd happily add 0.25 back to gain a little more bump travel up front. The fact that you ride on/into the jaunce bumper is news to me but based on the info from H&R below, makes total sense...really just addes progressiveness to the coil springs. Also makes me wonder if you can tune the springs a bit more (increase the rate) by just doing some upgraded jaunce bumpers? Finally...just how far can you compress a jaunce bumper? 100% of it's length is not possible. Based on he video work I did it looks to be ~30% of it's length compresses until you are fully "bottomed out" and feel a thud.

Here's the video. I just taped a measuring tape I made to the fender and zero'd it on the lip of the wheel. Looks to move 1" and I'm assuming that the wheel movement to strut shaft movement is 1:1 for this but that may not be accurate but the math on the numbers bilstein gave me works and 30% compression of the foamy makes sense:

https://youtube.com/shorts/8NDWFYTMBXw?feature=share

Post was more informational/to spur supension nerd talk so have at it!

Some good reading from H&R on this topic here:

https://www.hrsprings.com/technical/micro-cellular-jounce-bumper

Excerpt that seems to back my measurements/that my car sits on the foamy jaunce bumpers:

Capture2.JPG

Also, Steve Dinan has some good info if your'e willing to spend the time on this podcast re suspension and jaunce bumpers:

Last edited:

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
For reference, here are my rear B8s next to the OE Damper with Golf R bump stops installed. Yeah the bump stop is over 50% of the shock travel.

1661258768332.png

1661258881694.png

And for more reference, the B8 is about 20mm shorter overall than the OE shock.
1661259007227.png

tigeo

Autocross Champion
For reference, here are my rear B8s next to the OE Damper with Golf R bump stops installed. Yeah the bump stop is over 50% of the shock travel.

View attachment 258909

View attachment 258910

And for more reference, the B8 is about 20mm shorter overall than the OE shock.
View attachment 258911
Nice and thank you for the info! I think the key is to not look at the "foamy jaunce bumpers" as "bump stops" but as helper springs so really, it's not a big deal to sit on them b/c it's just increasing the rate of the spring a bit is all. How much shorter are the Golf R bumpers than the stockers?

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Nice and thank you for the info! I think the key is to not look at the "foamy jaunce bumpers" as "bump stops" but as helper springs so really, it's not a big deal to sit on them b/c it's just increasing the rate of the spring a bit is all. How much shorter are the Golf R bumpers than the stockers?
I think you're right on with that. Unfortunately I don't have a measurement for the OE bumpers, as mine were already cut shorter when I switched to the R bumpers. Maybe someone else with their stockers can chime in. The R bumpers are about 100mm overall.

I had cut the stock ones shorter when I had Eibach springs installed, but they bottomed out way to easily. That's why I switched to the R springs. In hindsight the eibachs with full length bumpers would have been better than cutting them.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
I am also curious how the B8s compare to stock R struts/shocks as far as overall length and travel.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think you're right on with that. Unfortunately I don't have a measurement for the OE bumpers, as mine were already cut shorter when I switched to the R bumpers. Maybe someone else with their stockers can chime in. The R bumpers are about 100mm overall.

I had cut the stock ones shorter when I had Eibach springs installed, but they bottomed out way to easily. That's why I switched to the R springs. In hindsight the eibachs with full length bumpers would have been better than cutting them.
That's it - you need the bumpers at their stock length to work with the spring rate of those Eibachs. That's the thing here....the springs are designed around that "helper spring" and without them, the rate isn't high enough or the damper isn't strong enough to counter it. I never touched my bumpers when I had the stock dampers on and TBH, it rode fine.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I am also curious how the B8s compare to stock R struts/shocks as far as overall length and travel.
They should be close as the R springs are a bit shorter than the stock GSWs but yeah, would be cool to see those numbers.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
4 years ago this week I picked up my new 2018 Golf Sportwagen S w/4Motion and DSG with ~50 miles on it; now sitting at 85.5K. Salesman didn’t even know they had it and it was parked in a corner behind a bunch of Atlases/Tiguans. Told him I’d give him $20K OTD and that’s what I paid so $19.1K before TTL which is less than I paid in 2013 for a new somewhat loaded Ford Focus 5-spd hatchback…unreal deal for an awd VW station wagon with the DSG. It’s been a lot of fun and I’ve driven it hard and I have no plans to ever get rid of it at this point. Here is my all-in comprehensive mod/upgrade list/general info I have and other info I’ve linked.

Power/engine
IHI IS38 turbo
Unitronic Stage 2+ ECU tune and Stage 2 TCU tune
BMS pedal tuner
United Motorsport Haldex tune
Unitronic downpipe
Unitronic intake and ECS coolant re-route hose
Unitronic intercooler and charge pipes
CTS Turbo turbo inlet pipe
CTS Turbo turbo muffler delete
APR coil packs
APR Iridium Pro spark plugs (0.020" gap - as they come)
CTS Turbo R/S3 resonator delete w/custom 42DD adapter and Milltek clamps
Racingline Haldex drain (magnetic)/fill plugs
ECS bevel box/rear differential magnetic drain plugs
Uro aluminum oil pan w/reusable magnetic drain plug

Chassis/suspension
H&R Sport springs
Bilstein B8 dampers
Euro Sport Street Camber Kit (-0.8 deg camber)
H&R front (27mm)/rear (25mm) sway bars
Tyrolsport front subframe deadset kit
034 rear subframe inserts
034 Dynamic+ front adj sway bar end links
Moog rear sway bar end links
Superpro aluminum lower control arms (+1 deg caster/-0.5 deg camber)
034 Density Line engine/transmission mounts
034 Street Density dog bone pucks, upper/lower dog bone inserts, and billet dogbone mount

Brakes
Front: APR 350mm BBK w/”Advanced street/Entry-level track day” pads for daily use and “Advanced track day” pads for track use
Audi RS3 brake ducts (modified to fit LCAs)
VW 340mm dust shields (modified to fit BBK/allow air flow to the rotors from ducts)
Rear: Stoptech Sport slotted 272mm rotors, EBC Yellowstuff pads, Neuspeed ss lines
Painted rear calipers w/G2 paint (black)

Wheels/tires
APR A01 flow formed 18x8.5 et45 (black) w/235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (fall-spring, run with 10/15 spacers front/rear))
Apex Race Parts SM-10 flow formed 18x8.5 et43 (bronze) w/235/40/18 Continental Extreme Contact Sport (spring-fall, run with 10/15 spacers front/rear)
Apex Race Parts forged VS-5RS 17x9 et42 (anthracite) w/255/40/17 Accelera 651 Sport (track, run with 5mm spacers in rear)
Apex Race Parts stud conversion kit
Apex Race Parts red center caps
H&R Trak+ 5/10/15mm wheel spacers
Fender screw mod
APR valve caps (black/anthracite)

Exterior
Black mirror caps (Amazon knock-offs)
VW Golf R variant rear side spoilers
VW roof bars
Yakima Front Loader bike racks
VW Bumperdillo bumper guard
VW splash guards
VW license plate frames
deAutoLED low/high/turns
VW MK6 Jetta TDI full length belly pan
VW Golf R variant rear valance/diffuser
Quad exhaust tips (Ebay knock-offs)
93 Octane gas door sticker
Unitronic stage badge
Golf/TSI badge delete
ECS tow straps
Skoda washer fluid funnel cap
VW Golf R fender liners

Interior
Leyo DSG shift knob
Leyo DSG paddle extensions
ECS boost gauge and intake manifold tap
Aluminum pedal caps (Amazon knock-offs)
VW self-dimming/Homelink/compass rear view mirror
Audi A3 low profile rear headrests
3D Maxpider floor mats
Weathertech cargo area mat w/cargo blocks
Driver’s seat underseat drawer
Skoda door pocket rubbish bin
deAutoLED interior LEDs
Badgeskins passenger airbag light overlay
Klii Motorwerks steering wheel logo inlay
Drive cargo area organizer
First aid kit
VW roadside assistance kit
Kiddie auto fire extinguisher
Type S battery jump box
VW hazard triangle
Llumar Pinnacle ceramic tint 50% front/35% rear
Ebay door hinge covers
Weathertech windshield sun shade
Aukey 12V dual-USB flush-mount charger
12V “eject” button
AA Wireless dongle
ECS center console organizer
Schwaben 12V flashlight
Center console arm rest rattle delete
Vumos umbrella/case that fits in door cubby

Maintenance/fluids/etc.
Redline MT-90 75W90 gear oil for bevel box and rear differential
Liquimoly 8100 DSG fluid (~30K)
High Performance Lubricants 5W40 Euro or Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech/Molygen 5W40 motor oil (~5K)
Febi Bilstein Haldex fluid (~30K)
Motul RBF 600 brake fluid
Duracell standard lead-acid H5 battery (10 pounds lighter than a H6 AGM)

Issues/warranty work
HVAC recirculation door motor replaced twice under warranty
SAI combi valve replaced and wiring replaced under warranty (still get fault periodically...likely the connector needs to be cleaned)
Water pump/thermostat housing replaced outside of warranty at ~73K (may get this reimbursed as a result of the recent class action settlement)
Intake valve carbon cleaning performed at ~73K
Bolts holding timing chain tensioner failed - replaced all timing chain-related components outside of warranty at ~84K

Future plans
Coilovers?
Oil/DSG fluid coolers?
Catch can?
Golf R f. bumper?

OBDEleven mod list/coding
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ouid=103181982851565181741&rtpof=true&sd=true

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K1HMXd3Au-R56MH5ra4Lr6SNfwLj5eCMbHFLWufkuhA/edit?usp=share_link

YouTube channel
karstgeo 72 - YouTube

20221106_123453.jpg
20221105_104424.jpg
20221106_071642.jpg

Last edited:

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Such a rad Sportwagen! I'm sure she surprises a lot of people at the track!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Such a rad Sportwagen! I'm sure she surprises a lot of people at the track!
100% it does....so funny. My instructor this last event was laughing as we drove and were passing/walking away from folks in it!