GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Detailing for dummies: I'm the dummy-Wash mitts have entered the chat; possibly other things you stick your hands into!

acoustic_

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
FYI, Adam's have a 25% sale on all the graphene products

Code: GRAPHENE

As far as I can tell, both this and Gloss-Coat should be as easy to apply. I would go for graphene if the car has a vibrant color, red, blue, green or any hue of those, including metallic. Silver, white, black Gloss-Coat.

And to throw a curve-ball... Kamikaze just released their ISM 3.0 in June, I really didn't like ISM 2.0 for beginners, as it was a PITA to apply, like Opti-Coat 2.0 and Opti-Coat Pro. ISM 1.0 was easy. ISM 1.0 over Miyabi is what they used in the Ferrari La Italia. A little more expensive, but as far as DIY coatings, Kamikaze is one of the best right now, especially their Zipang.

https://www.esotericcarcare.com/kamikaze-ism-coat-3-0/

Lastly, remember that the coating will protect whatever is under it, so any imperfection will be there permanently until the coating is polished off.

Nice. Grabbed the Ceramic Spray Advanced, the Graphene Shampoo to try, and their wheel cleaner.

BTW, use Coupon Code: AZ8291

for 25% off your entire order, not just graphene products.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
2997022C-BF6B-480B-B2F2-CE1A16F31B2F.jpeg

Welp that happened today 😫

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
This is why I have never been a fan of glass bottles. Kamikaze uses glass as well, I remember Jim White had a special stainless steel sheet metal holder made for them. I used to buy a lot of small aluminum/plastic bottles to swap coatings into from usplastic.com

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So I legit am a detailing newb/dummy, but I just ordered some sonax ceramic spray and detail spray to test out....not sure how it stacks against Turtle wax ceramic spray or graphene sprays. could be apples/oranges

Last edited:

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
So I legit am a detailing newb/dummy, but I just ordered some sonax ceramic spray and detail spray to test out....not sure how it stacks against Turtle wax ceramic spray or graphene sprays. could be apples/oranges
Sonax products are great, but their application can be unforgiving.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Hyper-sensitive to hot panels, applies fairly thick. Make sure you have adequate lighting so that you can see the excess.

My experience on body panels is with the Quick Shine Detailer. Get it right and it looks amazing. Miss the flash time and you see the extra for a long time unless you really hit it.

Be patient, work in 2x2 blocks, don’t hurry onto the next panel.

Their wheel and tire cleaner is top notch.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Hyper-sensitive to hot panels, applies fairly thick. Make sure you have adequate lighting so that you can see the excess.

My experience on body panels is with the Quick Shine Detailer. Get it right and it looks amazing. Miss the flash time and you see the extra for a long time unless you really hit it.

Be patient, work in 2x2 blocks, don’t hurry onto the next panel.

Their wheel and tire cleaner is top notch.
Car has been Clay bar’s and in my garage for two days so it’s not hot but I will make sure I have adequate lighting. Thanks for the heads up!

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Time to revive this thread a bit. I washed my car Friday and tossed my wash mitt into a pile of leaves, not intentionally. So let’s talk wash Mitts.

The wool ones just come apart and even the branded ones, Meguiars and such im not too keen on. What do you people like to use?

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
I have acquired over time a garbage bag full of these ranging from 420gsm to 500gsm
https://www.detailedimage.com/The-Rag-Company-M99/Eagle-Edgeless-500-Towel-Orange-P1660/16-x-16-S1/
They've also recently released these and are on sale.
https://www.detailedimage.com/The-Rag-Company-M99/Wolf-Pack-9-pack-P2870/
They grab and hold dirt so much better than any mit I've used.

I've also migrated away from the two bucket method. There's a "gary dean" method which is really just a single bucket method and you don't re-use the towels again until you've cleaned them. Just fill your bucket with your soap/water mix. (I like to add in a little ONR as well since our water is super hard shitty city water. ) Then toss your towels in.

->Then, fold them into quarters and use a single quarter only for a single wipe. Thus why I have so many of these towels now. I also do detailing on the side so I need more than a dozen~.
If a car is super dirty I'll do half wipes on panels with each quarter.

-> Finally, once you have you used a towel and folded it to use all the quarters front and back, it goes into a rinse bucket with a little ONR, not to be used again until washed.

I got away from using mits of any sort especially the microfiber "finger-y" mits. They seem like a good idea but they don't release dirt well and it's really just a bunch of micro pressure points and I don't think they hold dirt all that well.. I do however use them for wheels if they aren't overly dirty.
Additionally, with the towel folded into quarters, you can develop a nice wipe and twist motion so that a new piece of fabric is always touching the paint. If I take my time and I'm not planning a correction afterward I can really reduce visible scratching with this method. On occasion you'll get that one bit of dirt that likes to hang around the surface and might scratch, but overall this is about as "scratchless" as I think you can get. - But since you're only dragging a short distance the overall damage is still significantly reduced.

Is all of this overkill? Absolutely 100% Yes. But none of my customers have complained. And I REALLY like detailing cars and I've spent a ton of time on techniques, methods and practicing.

Edit: Since I'm here :D
You should also really try this stuff if you haven't
https://www.detailedimage.com/PS-M110/Rags-to-Riches-Premium-Microfiber-Detergent-P2403/32-oz-S1/