GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crank walk / class action (we need to get together)

dwbandler

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R | 6MT
Is there a recommended crank bearing solution to upgrade to? The only thing I saw in the thread was a mention of a photo in a Facebook group

Bobby Boucher

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Prayers and that's it.

I've been praying to Njord. So far so good. I figure if it does fail, praying to the Norse God of wealth might come in handy.

ArrgRer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 VW Golf R
So... Add me to the club. I upgraded to the Sachs basic performance clutch with VW OEM DMF and drove 55k miles on it. A couple of months ago I started to have clutch issues where the pedal would stick coming back up and thought "great, slave cylinder is failing". Then, last week I got a low oil pressure warning amongst other codes and immediately parked it.

Finally dropped the pan last night:

1660825062060.png

• What I don't understand is the failure mode on this design.
    • I inspected the bearing and it's hardly worn.
    • How does it wear slightly and then just "fall" out of its cradle?
    • The entire point of a bearing is be the sacrificial part to take the abuse gracefully and when end play gets out of tolerance, be replaced.
  • What specifically is going to be damaged on the crank/block after this bearing fell out?
  • Has anyone ever had a positive outcome dealing with VW on this issue?
Anyhow, this really stinks and I think I'm done with VAG cars at this point. I've had many and almost all have ended in tears at about 100k miles.

ArrGRer

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Can you imagine a class action though? None of us would qualify for it with all the stuff we have strapped to our cars.
There is a zero chance of a class action being of any value to most of the folks having this issue because they are modded. That kills it point blank. Further, this issue is v. rare in the scheme of things on stock cars.

Last edited:

ArrgRer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 VW Golf R
Can you imagine a class action though? None of us would qualify for it with all the stuff we have strapped to our cars.

I'm not interested at all in any sort of class action or legal action.

I'm interested in a technical discussion on this design because I'm truly confused by this failure mode - as an engineer and car guy with 30+ years of experience. If this forum/thread is not the place for a serious discussion, then I'll take it elsewhere.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I'm not interested at all in any sort of class action or legal action.

I'm interested in a technical discussion on this design because I'm truly confused by this failure mode - as an engineer and car guy with 30+ years of experience. If this forum/thread is not the place for a serious discussion, then I'll take it elsewhere.

I dont Understand it either. Why the main bearings fail on these motors is definitely a flaw in the design of the motor.

The question at hand is why does it come
Down to the bearing? Why doesn’t something else fail first to repair and prevent having to replace a motor.

ArrgRer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 VW Golf R
I dont Understand it either. Why the main bearings fail on these motors is definitely a flaw in the design of the motor.

The question at hand is why does it come
Down to the bearing? Why doesn’t something else fail first to repair and prevent having to replace a motor.

You mean like a small sacrificial wear surface that can be replaced... You know, like a bearing!!! How does it just "pop" out of its intended position after a little wear? This is what I don't understand either. What path is it taking to escape?

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I don’t think there is any. I’ve read enough to
Know that whether the car is stock or pushing 400+ it’s just the luck of the draw.

Hopefully you can find a replacement motor for a decent cost

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Maybe if they were in the US because according to them, in order to complete this upgrade, they require you to send them your center main cap. Then they will complete the CNC modification and return the cap to you with a full set of 4 Thrust bearings. Bearings supplied are a replacement pair of OEM bearings to go in the block and a pair of motorsport ACL bearings for the cap.

You can probably find a local machinist to do the same work and purchase the ACL bearings yourself.

Here's a video that talks about how to properly assemble the thrust bearings and main caps to avoid crankwalk...

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Maybe if they were in the US because according to them, in order to complete this upgrade, they require you to send them your center main cap. Then they will complete the CNC modification and return the cap to you with a full set of 4 Thrust bearings. Bearings supplied are a replacement pair of OEM bearings to go in the block and a pair of motorsport ACL bearings for the cap.

You can probably find a local machinist to do the same work and purchase the ACL bearings yourself.

Here's a video that talks about how to properly assemble the thrust bearings and main caps to avoid crankwalk...

What would be the minimum required work to install the thrust bearings? Remove trans and install new bearings with the engine mounted? Or will you need to pull the engine completely?

So... Add me to the club. I upgraded to the Sachs basic performance clutch with VW OEM DMF and drove 55k miles on it. A couple of months ago I started to have clutch issues where the pedal would stick coming back up and thought "great, slave cylinder is failing". Then, last week I got a low oil pressure warning amongst other codes and immediately parked it.

Finally dropped the pan last night:

View attachment 258488

• What I don't understand is the failure mode on this design.
    • I inspected the bearing and it's hardly worn.
    • How does it wear slightly and then just "fall" out of its cradle?
    • The entire point of a bearing is be the sacrificial part to take the abuse gracefully and when end play gets out of tolerance, be replaced.
  • What specifically is going to be damaged on the crank/block after this bearing fell out?
  • Has anyone ever had a positive outcome dealing with VW on this issue?
Anyhow, this really stinks and I think I'm done with VAG cars at this point. I've had many and almost all have ended in tears at about 100k miles.

ArrGRer
Man that sucks, especially with the OEM DMF, no one is safe. I do find the clutch issues you had before it happened interesting and wonder how/if a failing thrust bearing would cause it to feel like a failing slave cylinder. Crankwalk always seems to sneak up without warning, which is why Im interested in this.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
What would be the minimum required work to install the thrust bearings? Remove trans and install new bearings with the engine mounted? Or will you need to pull the engine completely?
I'd imagine the engine would have to be pulled.