GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance Package?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
you may like white better but you are wrong because the CF Blue is the best.

no emoji
I came close to getting the Rabbit in CFB, but then I remembered buying a green 92 GTI and regretting it a year later. Worked out ok though, bought a Corrado SLC.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Highly
I came close to getting the Rabbit in CFB, but then I remembered buying a green 92 GTI and regretting it a year later. Worked out ok though, bought a Corrado SLC.
same boat… I really wanted cornflower but kept asking myself “doI really want to driving a bright blue golf everyday?” For me the answer was quicky no. 3 years later I still love walking up to my urano gray everytime.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Highly

same boat… I really wanted cornflower but kept asking myself “doI really want to driving a bright blue golf everyday?” For me the answer was quicky no. 3 years later I still love walking up to my urano gray everytime.
I do kind of kick myself for not getting Urano Grey, but a wave of nostalgia at the last minute steered me to the white. I had a white rabbit GTI in the 80's and the classic contrast and color combo won me over.

Even if 70% of GTI's on the road are white...

Last edited:

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
The mechanical term "LSD" has been around for decades & refers only (in mechanics) to a Limited Slip Differential...this item fits inside the gearbox case, & is purely mechanical..

The VAQ unit is outside the gearbox case on the passenger side driveshaft & is electrical..pull the fuse & it won't work.....The VAQ units job is to cause the existing "open" type diff in the gearbox case to lock up by locking the driveshafts....& it relies on the ABS systems & uses the brakes to get around the "preload" situation & requires additional special oils at service time........go read the how it works guide that I wrote...

An LSD is 100% mechanical, fits inside the gearbox case as it replaces the basic "open" type diff.....& doesn't rely on the ABS or the brakes & has no electrics....also it runs only on the gearbox oil...do additional "special oils" come service time

Thats the thick sh1t marketing dept....

.....The people that make the unit, & the VAG engineers don't call it a LSD as the terminology is incorrect..again see my pervious post or my how it works guide...
Semantics...

Yes; it's not an old school LSD but an eLSD. An electronically controlled Limited Slip Differential:
https://www.jcr-leeds.com/how-to-service-front-elsd-full-guide/

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Semantics...

Yes; it's not an old school LSD but an eLSD. An electronically controlled Limited Slip Differential:
Semantics, yet the vaq is not a differential at all?

It’s a system that emulates what a limited slip diff does but REALITY is the differential in the car is OPEN.

Sure it does the same thing to a degree but to claim is “semantics” is your effort to win an debate by minimizing his reasoning.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Semantics...

Wrong terminology again.....I wrote a "how it works" guide on the VAQ unit which in the first few paragraphs explains what it is & what the makers & the VW workshop books call it...

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-the-vw-golf-gti-performance-pack-pp-“front-differential-lock”-vaq-works.351185/

QUOTE:-
Borg Warner who are the manufacturers of the unit, call it “Front Cross Differential Technology”, or “FXD”.

ERWIN, which is the official VAG workshop manuals, call it a “Front Differential Lock”, & in the “Self-study guides” they also refer to it as an “Electrohydraulic Front Differential Lock”.

Volkswagen Audi Group HQ in Germany, call it “Vorderachsquersperre” (VAQ), which translated from German to English means “Transversal Front Axle Locking”, or “Front Differential Lock” depending on the translation website used.

END QUOTE

VW marketing should have stated in the sales brochures that the PP gives you an FXD unit....instead they stated "mechanical limited slip differential"....which is misleading & they could be done (in the UK) under the sale of goods act for misrepresentation, as legally "LSD" in mechanical terms is something completely different!....Look how VW are being done legally over dieselgate!!..

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Semantics...

VW ERWIN, official workshop books....

Front diff ERWIN.jpg

& the VW ERWIN "Self study guides":-

erwin pic no1.jpg

Note that its states:- "It is powered by the output shaft of the gearbox via the differential"...i.e. the existing "open" type differential in the gearbox....

The way it works is to "lock" the front drives shafts & the existing open diff all together/up.....its a front axle/diff lock...& yes there are existing devices in 4x4 called "diff locks"...those purpose is to lock the axle up so that both wheels spin at the same speed especially when one is in the air.....& that is what the FXD/VAQ unit does....to stop the inside unloaded wheel from spinning by locking the the front axle & diff up by varying amounts/percentages...upto 100% lock....to drive the loaded outside wheel..(in simple terms)

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
no kink shaming.

Gray/Grey (just for you Dave)

I spent 6 years in the Navy and have looked at/painted many things Battleship Gray. That's a hard nope from me. I assume Army people don't do Olive Green
I was on submarines, hull is black rubber, but everything inside is seafoam green. What a terrible color.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Does everybody atleast agree that it can be open using the spider gears or locked using the carrier and everything in between with the clutchpack.