Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I have had success with NGKs

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I'm with the ruths crowd. Been 12k on EQT stage 2 and rock solid. Gapped to .024.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Normal for a 20 min drive? I think I felt one of these when I was passing someone at near highway speeds in 4th gear. Plugs are OEM, 11k mi old on stage 1, gapped to APR specs. The higher count on #2 makes me think… maybe it’s time to swap them out? No CEL or codes.

View attachment 258060
So it looked like the connector plug for the #2 coil was a little loose. I re-secured it and so far I am not experiencing double digit misfires on #2 anymore. So hopefully that was it. There’s still a handful of imperceptible misfires across all cylinders, but IIRC that’s normal. And, again, no CEL or codes.

With 11k miles of stage 1 on these plugs, should I consider swapping them out anyways, or wait until 15k?

Last edited:

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
See how they look. But I think you're fine to wait 15k. I drove stage 2 uni on stock plugs for like 30k with no issue.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
So it looked like the connector plug for the #2 coil was a little loose. I re-secured it and so far I am not experiencing double digit misfires on #2 anymore. So hopefully that was it. There’s still a handful of imperceptible misfires across all cylinders, but IIRC that’s normal. And, again, no CEL or codes.

With 11k miles of stage 1 on these plugs, should I consider swapping them out anyways, or wait until 15k?
That is excellent news man

acoustic_

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

Nice link, thanks!

Realizing now that the tires on my R are garbage. The last owner put Nexen npriz AH8 225/40/18; crap all-seasons.. but the kicker is that they're SL tires. According to your calculator, it's no good. Wondering if this is worth calling the dealer about, since these tires are apparently not suitable. Car drives fine and I wouldn't have known unless the calculator told me, but I don't like these tires and since it was a CPO, I may have an argument. Hmm.

Tire.png

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Does anyone know if I will be able to program my spare key myself or will I need to get the dealer to knock that out?