GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance Package?

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I know the Performance Package has a list of additional goodies... bigger brakes, 10hp more. I am wondering two things.

First, does anyone have a complete list of the differences between the base and the Performance Package?

Second, What contributes to the 10hp more? Is it strictly programming? air intake system? different turbo? differences in the exhaust?

And for a bonus.... do the two share the same manual clutch, or does the Performance Package come with a more robust clutch?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I know the Performance Package has a list of additional goodies... bigger brakes, 10hp more. I am wondering two things.

First, does anyone have a complete list of the differences between the base and the Performance Package?

Second, What contributes to the 10hp more? Is it strictly programming? air intake system? different turbo? differences in the exhaust?

And for a bonus.... do the two share the same manual clutch, or does the Performance Package come with a more robust clutch?
Same clutch, bigger brakes, comes with a diff, 10HP has got to do with programming.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
dont forget the red badges

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
All you are getting mechanically is:-

1. the Haldex VAQ unit..which is not a LSD......
2. The braking system from the Golf R (340mm fronts & bigger vented rears)
3. Software to make the car have the same power to weight ratio as the standard GTI...as the VAQ unit & the bigger brakes all add weight...

Cheaper & better to buy a base GTI, fit Quaife/Wavetrak, & a set of either Audi TT-S, 4 pot ATE fronts or the Porsche Macan 4pot Brembos...& get a APR/Revo remap & drop in filter...

Unless you can't be bothered (no skills/no decent workshops) to do any of the above, in which case ignore what I just posted...

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
getting a wavetrack installed on a base GTI may be more than just getting the sport package up front, depending on which years/mileage of car you are shopping for. Although it's mostly agreed that the wavetrack is superior to the VAQ, so you may want to go that route anyway, depending on what you plan to use the car for.

Edit - also, the sport model gets you keyless entry and push button start, which is kinda nice.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
getting a wavetrack installed on a base GTI may be more than just getting the sport package up front, depending on which years/mileage of car you are shopping for. Although it's mostly agreed that the wavetrack is superior to the VAQ, so you may want to go that route anyway, depending on what you plan to use the car for.

Edit - also, the sport model gets you keyless entry and push button start, which is kinda nice.

My Sport with the PP and LP was 3k more than the S model when purchased new.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
To me the biggest worthwhile difference is the LSD and big brakes... But mostly the LSD. I had a 2015 SE non PP and now I have a 2019 Autobahn with PP. I can 100% feel the difference the LSD makes in daily driving when I get a little spicy. And the bigger brakes do make a difference as well, I have pushed them harder than I probably should have.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
To me the biggest worthwhile difference is the LSD and big brakes... But mostly the LSD. I had a 2015 SE non PP and now I have a 2019 Autobahn with PP. I can 100% feel the difference the LSD makes in daily driving when I get a little spicy. And the bigger brakes do make a difference as well, I have pushed them harder than I probably should have.

Sorry to burst your bubble but you don't have a "LSD" with the performance pack......you get a Haldex unit bolted to the passenger side (NAR) driveshaft after the gearbox...

The term LSD refers to a limited slip differential...which is something the PP doesn't have as it still has a basic "open" differential in the gearbox case...

I did a write up here....

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...p-“front-differential-lock”-vaq-works.351185/

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Sorry to burst your bubble but you don't have a "LSD" with the performance pack......you get a Haldex unit bolted to the passenger side (NAR) driveshaft after the gearbox...

The term LSD refers to a limited slip differential...which is something the PP doesn't have as it still has a basic "open" differential in the gearbox case...

I did a write up here....

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-the-vw-golf-gti-performance-pack-pp-“front-differential-lock”-vaq-works.351185/
I don’t think you’re bursting anyone’s bubble by calling it something else. The practical effect is very similar.

“The amount of pressure on the clutch pack affects the transfer of torque from the spinning inner wheel to the driven outer wheel. Thus, torque acting on the spinning inner wheel is reduced & applied to the driven outer wheel, thus reducing or eliminating understeer & providing better cornering & control.”

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
P.S. What are people paying these days to buy a proper LSD and have it installed into non-PP models? (DSG). Looks like the unit is ~$1000-1300. What's install typically run?