GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Reading a summary thread before posting covered questions should, going forward, be known as the mrmattolsen rule.

There really only seem to be two types of people who use forums. Those who will try and do research and read all they can before asking questions, and those who will just ask a question before reading a single thing. The Macan Brembo thread is a perfect example of that. All the information you could want is laid out in the first two posts. And your still have people asking questions that would be answered by reading that first post.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
There really only seem to be two types of people who use forums. Those who will try and do research and read all they can before asking questions, and those who will just ask a question before reading a single thing. The Macan Brembo thread is a perfect example of that. All the information you could want is laid out in the first two posts. And your still have people asking questions that would be answered by reading that first post.
Not to mention the direct PM's asking me the same questions that the first 2 posts answer.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Haha, the resonator thread is like that too 😂

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Reassurance

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Does anyone know how much drag the OEM roof rack and a fairing add at high speeds? I can tell my mpg took a 3-4 mpg hit since installed, but no idea how it’s affecting my trap speed or 60-130 time. At first I was joking about the rack slowing me down, but the more I read about the mpg hit and wind resistance it creates, I think there may be some truth to it, especially at high speeds.

I will definitely try a run or 2 with it off when the humidity and heatwave dies down, but just curious if anyone else has been silly enough to drag or Dragy a car with a rack and fairing like me. I tried googling and checking the forum but mostly turned up general “rack bad” rants.

I use it for a cargo box (Yakima Skybox16) for family trips but not much else - I do also like the look but it definitely gets squirrelly above 100mph. I would not be surprised if it’s robbing a mph or so from my trap and a few tenths from my 60-130.

TLDR: Has the increased drag from a roof rack been quantified in terms of its affect on speed/acceleration for the MK7 GTI/R?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Does anyone know how much drag the OEM roof rack and a fairing add at high speeds? I can tell my mpg took a 3-4 mpg hit since installed, but no idea how it’s affecting my trap speed or 60-130 time. At first I was joking about the rack slowing me down, but the more I read about the mpg hit and wind resistance it creates, I think there may be some truth to it, especially at high speeds.

I will definitely try a run or 2 with it off when the humidity and heatwave dies down, but just curious if anyone else has been silly enough to drag or Dragy a car with a rack and fairing like me. I tried googling and checking the forum but mostly turned up general “rack bad” rants.

I use it for a cargo box (Yakima Skybox16) for family trips but not much else - I do also like the look but it definitely gets squirrelly above 100mph. I would not be surprised if it’s robbing a mph or so from my trap and a few tenths from my 60-130.

TLDR: Has the increased drag from a roof rack been quantified in terms of its affect on speed/acceleration for the MK7 GTI/R?
They increase the zero to vape speed by .5 sec? Sorry, couldn't resist. Back to your regularly scheduled programing.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
at least this guy didn't post a thread 'is the dtr kit any good'

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI

3-4 mpg from the RACK or the DTR?? Either way, got dammm!

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
3-4 mpg from the RACK or the DTR?? Either way, got dammm!
Yeah, my highway mpg with the rack and fairing is like 29-30 down from 32-33 prior. Probably only about 1-2 mpg city decrease though.

DTR appears to have relatively unchanged fuel economy from stage 1 for my daily driving - rack was on before and after.

I put the rack on pretty shortly after buying the car, so I never got any times without it.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Yeah, my highway mpg with the rack and fairing is like 29-30 down from 32-33 prior. Probably only about 1-2 mpg city decrease though.

DTR appears to have relatively unchanged fuel economy from stage 1 for my daily driving - rack was on before and after.

I put the rack on pretty shortly after buying the car, so I never got any times without it.
I have a roof rack with a single bike attachment and I can feel the resistance at highway speeds. I only leave it on for the season when I do ride, but it sure makes a difference.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I've been driving with roof bike racks for 30 years - it generally knocks off about 2-3mpg on the highway with no bike, with a bike it's a bit more.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
do you guys all carry your motorcycles on the roof racks or something?