GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW vs Audi Brake Rotors

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I am hoping someone can help advise here... So I have an Audi SQ5, with Audi(VW) OEM rotors on it, and I have a VW GTI with unknown rotors on it. I think they are OEM, but maybe someone can help clear this up.

So the Audi rotors after a good soaking rain look like this (no rust, nice and clean):

And the rotors on the VW look like this:

Even after I drive the VW quite a bit, the rotors almost never come clean and I can always hear some light "scraping" when I corner due to the pads coming in contact with the rust. Can anyone say for sure whether Audi uses the same rotors as VW? I am pretty sure my Audi Rotors had VAG part #s. The brake replacement on the VW was done before I owned the vehicle, but the records say it was done by a VW dealer. So I'm wondering if it is possible that these are VW rotors on the GTI, or are they some aftermarket garbage? Do they put decent rotors on Audis and crap on VWs?

Let me know your thoughts. The reason I am looking into this a bit is because I plan to replace the pads and rotors (even though they are not yet EOL), but I don't want to put VW rotors back on if they are going to end up like this again.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
My 2019 GTI have the same rotors and same rust after rain. They'll get clean after some braking.
It's annoying for sure.

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Mine really never get clean. They still have a layer of blackend rust, like the pads are so soft they aren't really biting into the rotor at all. Maybe it's a pad issue as much as a rotor issue. Just curious why the Audi (VAG) OEM rotors are great and the VW (VAG) rotors suck.

Also looking for aftermarket recommendations. I am curious who makes the Audi rotors. Brembo mayhaps?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
my gti rotors do the rust.

random thought. I believe there is some type of automatic drying with the brakes during rain.....maybe if you turn that on (obd11/vagcom) it will prevent rust. Maybe I am imagining this

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
my gti rotors do the rust.

random thought. I believe there is some type of automatic drying with the brakes during rain.....maybe if you turn that on (obd11/vagcom) it will prevent rust. Maybe I am imagining this
Yes, you can activate it with OBD11. I Have it in medium strength, it can be put in heavy. After raining coming to work my rotors looks like this.

Attachments

• B520FDAF-504F-43A9-A8E5-AB99D2E8C54A.jpeg
    B520FDAF-504F-43A9-A8E5-AB99D2E8C54A.jpeg
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 4FAF4876-5710-400A-ABD0-8870F4A62F84.jpeg
    4FAF4876-5710-400A-ABD0-8870F4A62F84.jpeg
    764.7 KB · Views: 141

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I'm reading more... Sounds like the Audi Rotors are likely Zimmerman, not Brembo. And I believe they are coated, which explains the difference in how the "non-braking" portions of the rotor are not rusting at all on the Audi, after a year of use. So I guess I will be looking for Zimmerman Coat-Z rotors for the GTI.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My rotors get pretty bad. If I park it in the garage for a weekend after driving home in the rain, when I get in the car monday morning the e-brake is glued to the rotor. The car refuses to move and you can feel the back end lift up. There's a loud POP when it finally breaks loose.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
How on earth does this work???
Just activate it via obd11 and during rain the brake pads will automatically apply some pressure against the rotor.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
My rotors get pretty bad. If I park it in the garage for a weekend after driving home in the rain, when I get in the car monday morning the e-brake is glued to the rotor. The car refuses to move and you can feel the back end lift up. There's a loud POP when it finally breaks loose.
Same 100% happen to me. I try to pull the ebrake just the minimum to engage the brakes or leave it in first gear -and don't engage the ebrake at all- (if I don't park on slope).

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Looks like here are the coated ones --
Front (312mm) -- https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/au...jetta-passat-eos-gti-cc-zimmerman-1k0615301aa
Rear (272mm) -- https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-brake-disc-rear-272mm-1k0615601aa

I'm amazed how affordable they are honestly.

And here are Pagid pads, which apparently is what the VAG pads are that I have on my SQ5:
Front -- https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-disc-brake-pad-set-pagid-5q0698151d
Rear -- https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-brake-pad-set-pagid-7n0698451a

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
I'm reading more... Sounds like the Audi Rotors are likely Zimmerman, not Brembo. And I believe they are coated, which explains the difference in how the "non-braking" portions of the rotor are not rusting at all on the Audi, after a year of use. So I guess I will be looking for Zimmerman Coat-Z rotors for the GTI.
I have a 2019 R. I changed the out the front OE pads to ATE ceramic and also installed Zimmerman blanks.

The rust on the braking surface is the same as the OE rotors after they get wet. Most OE rotors seem to be coated. My guess is your GTI rotors are uncoated aftermarket.

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I have a 2019 R. I changed the out the front OE pads to ATE ceramic and also installed Zimmerman blanks.

The rust on the braking surface is the same as the OE rotors after they get wet. Most OE rotors seem to be coated. My guess is your GTI rotors are uncoated aftermarket.
Right on. What about the non-braking surfaces though? Do you see rust there, or are you using the Coated Zimmerman discs?

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I have zimmerman rotors from FCP euro and still get rust. They say their coated to prevent rust, but I still get rust when it rains or I'm washing the car.
Goes away once I drive the car and brake.