GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Time to do something about these IATs

20220728_152356.jpg

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
radio update.

ease of install: 4/10

(for reference, ease of mk6 radio install: 9/10)

it literally took me like 4 hours because I couldn't get the trim off correctly. the silver piece around the vent was separating and still managed to get scratched up and bent in the process which honestly seems impossible not to do because its literally made out of garbage. now I have the fun task of trying to source the silver trim around the vents which seems to be a part of the piano black trim not the vents but most aliexpress sellers only sell the black trim.......

anyway after I got in installed, I realized they sent the wrong color frame (dark grey) and also my backup camera does not work anymore, you would have to use their camera. however, if these things were not an issue, I would keep it. however I am returning it. there was no way I could not tell this was black until it was literally on the car. it was such a dark grey, I honestly didn't even know Volkswagen made a grey this dark. I was confused that maybe it was black but just a poor color match but it was indeed dark grey because the seller also sells dark grey.

performance: sound is amazing. screen is amazing. functionality is amazing. it is literally a 300 dollar tablet attached to your car. it is decently fast. the screen is really OLED. I installed the Ariel screen saver APK and the apple screen savers looked really cool in my car.

unfortunately now I have two options. back to stock radio for good or the rcd520 (but I think that doesn't have backup functionality either? could be wrong). im not paying 1500 dollars for a mib2 radio lol no judgement on anyone who does. that's an unreasonable cost... to put that money in perspective you can buy the newest MacBook and still have money left over to buy dinner for the weekend. maybe not a fair comparison but let's be real.

ill never not have a backup camera again and im not gimping my 30,000 car for a non oem part. their camera solution is not elegant and doesn't utilize the oem parts

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Rcd550 retains all oem functionality and setting screen and options like driver modes, interior lighting,locking, etc cause it’s still a vw oem part. Only difference is when it starts up it’s only the VW logo and not a GTI - also when you are on vehicle pages it shows a Passat or a troc as the automobile option.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
radio update.

ease of install: 4/10

(for reference, ease of mk6 radio install: 9/10)

it literally took me like 4 hours because I couldn't get the trim off correctly. the silver piece around the vent was separating and still managed to get scratched up and bent in the process which honestly seems impossible not to do because its literally made out of garbage. now I have the fun task of trying to source the silver trim around the vents which seems to be a part of the piano black trim not the vents but most aliexpress sellers only sell the black trim.......

anyway after I got in installed, I realized they sent the wrong color frame (dark grey) and also my backup camera does not work anymore, you would have to use their camera. however, if these things were not an issue, I would keep it. however I am returning it. there was no way I could not tell this was black until it was literally on the car. it was such a dark grey, I honestly didn't even know Volkswagen made a grey this dark. I was confused that maybe it was black but just a poor color match but it was indeed dark grey because the seller also sells dark grey.

performance: sound is amazing. screen is amazing. functionality is amazing. it is literally a 300 dollar tablet attached to your car. it is decently fast. the screen is really OLED. I installed the Ariel screen saver APK and the apple screen savers looked really cool in my car.

unfortunately now I have two options. back to stock radio for good or the Chinese rcd550 (but I think that doesn't have backup functionality either??). im not paying 1500 dollars for a mib2 radio lol no judgement on anyone who does. that's an unreasonable cost... to put that money in perspective you can buy the newest MacBook and still have money left over to buy dinner for the weekend. maybe not a fair comparison but let's be real.

ill never not have a backup camera again and im not gimping my 30,000 car for a non oem part. their camera solution is not elegant and doesn't utilize the oem parts

RCD520. @El_bigote_AJ can confirm, but I'm nearly 100% certain that keeps the factory backup cam in tact, along with all other stock functions.

Edit: he beat me to it 🤣

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
yeah ... the only reason I didn't initially go with that, and I almost did, is because I didn't want a dongle sticking out of the radio. well, you win some you lose some. gotta sacrifice something I guess but I dont know if its really worth having a cable stick out of the radio just to go buttonless, seems to be redundant to the decision in the first place for a cleaner look. even if you do a 90 degree usb cable you have to shove the cable somewhere... I dont know...

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If you're paying $1,500 to retrofit MIB II you are doing it very wrong. If you're less than a 5 hour drive away you can pay me $1,500. I will source the parts and drive to you, install the parts and have everything activated, then drive back home... with money left over.

For perspective, paying $1,500 now to retrofit MIB II is like paying $1,500 now for a 2018 MacBook.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
I apologize if I am wrong about the cost It seems most people I read have paid at least 1000 in parts alone?

anyway, let me tell you guys how fun it is to source this part with a splitting headache ... but I think I did it. not bad for something with no identifying numbers or stamps or markers. was starting to panic because I broke a similar piece near my mk6 dsg shifter and I could never find a replacement and my shift boot was always loose. I had to contact the seller for this so if anyone needs this, send me a pm I'll send the details. it's not even listed.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
MIB II conversion should be under $750 these days. I've read people (patient ones) getting all done under $600.

Too late in your case, but the entire center trim comes out as one piece, with vents attached. I pop the clips around the screen, remove the airbag/hazard light, then reach in there "behind" the vents and pull hard.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
MIB II conversion should be under $750 these days. I've read people (patient ones) getting all done under $600.

Too late in your case, but the entire center trim comes out as one piece, with vents attached. I pop the clips around the screen, remove the airbag/hazard light, then reach in there "behind" the vents and pull hard.
yeah I watched videos before hand and actually saw it happen both ways (vents stay stuck in dash due to the 4 clips or come out with the frame) so I was "prepared" but my main goal was least destruction as possible so I was going slow. oh well, only cost me $10. and when it goes back on, it's never coming back off. most people would probably not give a shit but since I am destroying my own property for fun I am guilt tripping myself to restore it.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
My RocEuro arm finally came in! I am heading over to my buddy’s house tomorrow to install this and the BFI stage 1 transmission mount (currently have the stage 1 insert) and I am really looking forward to seeing how this feels combined with the Powerflex bushing.
D1EBE700-7AFA-4270-A40D-AF1DD457357C.jpeg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My RocEuro arm finally came in! I am heading over to my buddy’s house tomorrow to install this and the BFI stage 1 transmission mount (currently have the stage 1 insert) and I am really looking forward to seeing how this feels combined with the Powerflex bushing. View attachment 256843

Be VERY careful with this installation. I’ve seen horror stories played out with hardware coming loose which caused broken transmission case lugs.

If you’re able I’d highly recommend drilling it for safety wire or at least use loctite & re check torque after a few drives.