GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Hey guys, am currently stage 1 apr. I am considering catted DP route vs APR DTR6054. Obviously these arent mutually exclusive but for budgets sake im going to ask you to pretend like they are. (Cost is close because I'd need to buy cobb+tune+dp) I've been leaning towards the DTR to stay emissions compliant as long as possible, although I'm aware the fuel system readiness is still pending. Has anybody else made this jump on stock dp? Were any other supporting mods required? I already have an APR FMIC in preparation for more power. I saw on a reddit review that different hosing to the APR IC was required because it assumes you have stock IC. And in this thread, something about an actuator? Is that not in the kit? Sorry for the dumb questions I just got into cars 3 months ago, still don't know much at all
i guess if i was in your situation, i would do the dtr, considering you should be able to just flash stock tune and not have to fiddle around with hardware (leaving the turbo on, on a stock tune and driven lightly shouldn't be an issue) vs having to swap downpipes or do spacers and stuff.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Came to remind everyone here my APR tuned is38 car still traps faster than every DTR car here (regardless of supporting mods or not).

Stayed for the bikes lol
B81225A8-2C13-48F6-A139-C1A38266326B.jpeg

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Came to remind everyone here my APR tuned is38 car still traps faster than every DTR car here (regardless of supporting mods or not).

Stayed for the bikes lolView attachment 256423
Apparently my lowly mk6 too 🤷 I think I'm going to print this out and frame it in my garage
SmartSelect_20220726-143437_Chrome.jpg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You also have a downpipe, probably spent more than $1500, and don’t have ready monitors… so not exactly a relevant comparison. Sweet bike though.

My car DOES still have a emissions compliant downpipe, so no CEL even without a tune, but DTR owners can’t set readiness because of the DTR specific tune.

Also, as mentioned in my comment you replied to, even the DTR cars who are also running a aftermarket downpipe are slower than mine.

This isn’t a dig at anyone who owns a DTR, it’s a reminder to APR to get these issues figured out because there’s no excuse at this point for their own is38 file to be outperforming the new hotness.
What is your trap speed?
115mph

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
You also have a downpipe, probably spent more than $1500, and don’t have ready monitors… so not exactly a relevant comparison. Sweet bike though.
youre right about the $$$$, but my apr is38 tune with apr downpipe passes emissions and has no cel without a spacer.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Any aftermarket downpipe immediately fails the visual test required for CA smog testing… as do other states. So unfortunately, we are limited to stock downpipe applications.
Slip the ref a $50. 50% of the time it works 100% of the time

mleroux

Ready to race!
Car(s)
987 Boxster
My car DOES still have a emissions compliant downpipe, so no CEL even without a tune, but DTR owners can’t set readiness because of the DTR specific tune.

Also, as mentioned in my comment you replied to, even the DTR cars who are also running a aftermarket downpipe are slower than mine.

This isn’t a dig at anyone who owns a DTR, it’s a reminder to APR to get these issues figured out because there’s no excuse at this point for their own is38 file to be outperforming the new hotness.

115mph
There is no such thing as a 50-state emissions compliant aftermarket downpipe, so this comment comes with an asterisk. APR is ambitiously marketing this product towards true 50-state compliancy (“pending approval”) but clearly having growing pains.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
There is no such thing as a 50-state emissions compliant aftermarket downpipe, so this comment comes with an asterisk. APR is ambitiously marketing this product towards true 50-state compliancy (“pending approval”) but clearly having growing pains.

Then don’t buy one, but no matter how you slice it this turbo is a flop (as is the Garrett Power Max).

Selling under the “pending approval” doesn’t grant carb state citizens any leeway. It either is or isn’t approved if you wanna look at it by the book.