GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking While Steering

Hotrodoli

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 GTI SE
Hi everyone, I am new here but I recently installed VWR lowering springs with ECS top mounts and bearings. This was a great upgrade but overtime I started to get some weird popping/creaking sounds coming from the front. (I used all new hardware).

I researched it and I replaced my sway bar end links with 034 dynamic+ sway bar endlinks and decided to replace my top mounts and bearings with the 034 strut mounts/bearing combo thinking this was the issue. This got rid of 90% of my issue but now I'm hearing some creaking while turning while stopped/moving at low speed.

I researched more and found that it could be loose endlinks (I checked this and they are tight), possible worn front sway bar bushing, worn ball joints, or worn tie rods.

I brought it somewhere to get looked at it and they couln't find anything. Rip $140.

Video: (very quiet, need to crank the volume but it sounds like an old wooden ship, to me, creaking on the water)

Thank you for helping!

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Mine does this completely bone stock; dealer wants to replace the clock spring to try and fix it, haven't gotten around to bringing it in yet.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Steering rack. I just had mine replaced. Fixed the issue and car sounds new. I have a 2019 GTI.
They give you any details on your bad rack? I'm hunting down this kind of sound and in addition to checking things op went after, I'll probably check lubrication where inner tie rods connect to rack.

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
They give you any details on your bad rack? I'm hunting down this kind of sound and in addition to checking things op went after, I'll probably check lubrication where inner tie rods connect to rack.

Nope. All I know is it's a known issue and they have a newly released steering rack that supposedly prevents the issue from happening again.

Hotrodoli

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 GTI SE
Hi all, just wanted to post an update. Had my front suspension looked at very thoroughly and they found that the VWR lowering springs were causing it. After sticking a stethoscope around many areas, the noise was the loudest from the springs. No noise coming from the steering rack or joints. Installing some coilovers soon and will update on if that fixes it!

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Hi everyone, I am new here but I recently installed VWR lowering springs with ECS top mounts and bearings. This was a great upgrade but overtime I started to get some weird popping/creaking sounds coming from the front. (I used all new hardware).

I researched it and I replaced my sway bar end links with 034 dynamic+ sway bar endlinks and decided to replace my top mounts and bearings with the 034 strut mounts/bearing combo thinking this was the issue. This got rid of 90% of my issue but now I'm hearing some creaking while turning while stopped/moving at low speed.

I researched more and found that it could be loose endlinks (I checked this and they are tight), possible worn front sway bar bushing, worn ball joints, or worn tie rods.

I brought it somewhere to get looked at it and they couln't find anything. Rip $140.

Video: (very quiet, need to crank the volume but it sounds like an old wooden ship, to me, creaking on the water)

Thank you for helping!
My 2019 sounds a lot like yours from day 1. My suspension is bone stock, I looked underneath but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.
The other videos are making a sound too loud, not like my car. I wonder if it's the clock spring or something that I can let pass...
It only bothers me when I turn the steering wheel with the car stopped.

Hotrodoli

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 GTI SE
My 2019 sounds a lot like yours from day 1. My suspension is bone stock, I looked underneath but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.
The other videos are making a sound too loud, not like my car. I wonder if it's the clock spring or something that I can let pass...
It only bothers me when I turn the steering wheel with the car stopped.
Not 100% sure its the clockspring, the tech that inspected my car said its from the springs coming in contact with the strut bearings. I know you have stock springs so my guess is that there's some dirt in between the spring and bearing? Will be installing the coils this coming weekend and will let you know if I still hear the sound :D

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Ive been having this same noise/issue on my A3. Suspension is bone stock. Ive brought to dealer, they said the axel needed greasing so they took it off and greased it and put it back. Noise was still there, then they said my front upper control arm bushings were worn and there was a TSB to replace them. So they did that, but still have the noise. I'm wondering if its clock spring too. Cause it almost sounds like its coming from in the cabin and not outside... I want to bring it back again but its such a hassle.

thatblugli

Car(s)
2005 GLI, 2020 GTI
My ‘20 Gti with H&R springs has the same issue. I thought we over tightened the strut mounts on install. No I am rethinking this problem