GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RacingLine Golf MK7 Oil Cooler

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Question for the guys that are running the modified RL kit. I'm trying to figure out the best way to add a thermostat to this set up, replace the sandwich plate with a thermostatic one or just splice in an inline thermostat from Improved Racing? Seems like there are spacer plates needed if replacing the sandwich plate with another company?
You can also buy the parts from the bar-tek kit separately, they have a thermostatic plate. I don't see why you'd need spacer plates, I think the issue someone had was using a different cooler (which needed to be spaced out to fit their lines?).

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
You can also buy the parts from the bar-tek kit separately, they have a thermostatic plate. I don't see why you'd need spacer plates, I think the issue someone had was using a different cooler (which needed to be spaced out to fit their lines?).

I know when I got the Mocal kit I linked previously, without the spacer the sandwich thermostat would hit the intake manifold and wouldn't work without the spacer.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Just buy this and do it right the first time https://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/2-0l-tsi-oil-cooler-ea888-mqb-kit-v2

To answer your question, yes you'd need a thermostat somewhere or otherwise you'd have oil always pumping through that which isn't ideal for car warm-up.
FWIW the one he linked is the style that deletes the heat exchanger, more like this one: https://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/mk7oilcoolerkitmqb
Depends on your use. I would prefer the thermostat for a street car, if you want as much oil cooling as possible, then the one that deletes the HX is the way to go (Though I wouldn't go with ebay stuff personally).

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
FWIW the one he linked is the style that deletes the heat exchanger, more like this one: https://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/mk7oilcoolerkitmqb
Depends on your use. I would prefer the thermostat for a street car, if you want as much oil cooling as possible, then the one that deletes the HX is the way to go (Though I wouldn't go with ebay stuff personally).

Yea I knew the difference but was curious on the HX removal stuff. I guess what does deleting the heat exchanger accomplish? Doesn't mix with coolant so it's a closed system just flowing through the oil cooler 100% of the time? I figure you'd want it exchanged with coolant to help warm it up with engine temp and then let the thermostat take over for additional cooling through the oil cooler but may be missing the main use case.

Is the issue once the car is up to temp that the coolant is adding more heat to the oil that it should be?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Yea I knew the difference but was curious on the HX removal stuff. I guess what does deleting the heat exchanger accomplish? Doesn't mix with coolant so it's a closed system just flowing through the oil cooler 100% of the time? I figure you'd want it exchanged with coolant to help warm it up with engine temp and then let the thermostat take over for additional cooling through the oil cooler but may be missing the main use case.

Is the issue once the car is up to temp that the coolant is adding more heat to the oil that it should be?
Yes, you get a lot less heat going into the oil that way. Pretty hard to get under 240F on track (the only use for the HX delete) with a connected system.
Has anyone ordered the Bartek kit? Just curious how long the shipping times to the US are.
Yes. Think I got my replacement cooler/filter in less than a week via DHL.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
the cluster said 180-190, which is almost never accurate, but I didn't log much on the street. high 230s on track with 80ish temps (logging the actual oil temp PID), which is fine for a 40 weight oil.
That's after using the oil cooler you linked?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
the cluster said 180-190, which is almost never accurate, but I didn't log much on the street. high 230s on track with 80ish temps (logging the actual oil temp PID), which is fine for a 40 weight oil.
So jealous. Today i was 275 the whole day up to 280 and that's with the heater on. I ended up running 3rd instead of 2nd in the slower sections, which didn't affect my time much but kept me at 275. They again it was 106°