GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

back2brand

Car(s)
2019 GTI S
This question probably belongs in this thread: If all other factors are unchanged (no change in driving habits, fuel, tires, etc) would switching between "normal", "sport", and "eco" driving modes make any difference whatsoever to fuel economy? Again, all other things being equal.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
This question probably belongs in this thread: If all other factors are unchanged (no change in driving habits, fuel, tires, etc) would switching between "normal", "sport", and "eco" driving modes make any difference whatsoever to fuel economy? Again, all other things being equal.
For a DSG, yes because it alters the shift points. In a manual, probably not, but I do think it changes the throttle mapping for more aggressive tip in, so it's possible.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
yes, at least that's the idea of it changing the throttle sensitivity

back2brand

Car(s)
2019 GTI S
For a DSG, yes because it alters the shift points. In a manual, probably not, but I do think it changes the throttle mapping for more aggressive tip in, so it's possible.
Thanks for the responses. Mine is a manual transmission. It's always been in the "sport" mode even though I am a very conservative driver.

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Is there an easy way to search these forums when searching for three letter words? Try searching e85, e30, MPI, or any other three letter acronyms and get zero results.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
yes, at least that's the idea of it changing the throttle sensitivity
I thought TiGeo had conclusively demonstrated by data logging the throttle impact is mistaken, all butt dyno? That assumption arose from translation error from German and location in software organization that implied throttle changes.

Sport mode changes electrical steering response and DSG shift points only.
There are long threads on this here and elsewhere as i recall. Correct me with links if I am wrong.

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I thought TiGeo had conclusively demonstrated by data logging the throttle impact is mistaken, all butt dyno? That assumption arose from translation error from German and location in software organization that implied throttle changes.

Sport mode changes electrical steering response and DSG shift points only.
There are long threads on this here and elsewhere as i recall. Correct me with links if I am wrong.
then why does my 6spd have a drivetrain setting and what does it do

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
anyone on here work for a paint/body shop that can get me some paint with clear mixed that I can brush on? Maybe a little containers worth? paintscratch two small bottles (1 oz) is about $27......is that a good price? Any positive feedback from that site?

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
anyone on here work for a paint/body shop that can get me some paint with clear mixed that I can brush on? Maybe a little containers worth? paintscratch two small bottles (1 oz) is about $27......is that a good price? Any positive feedback from that site?
I used https://scratcheshappen.com

The kit was very nice, lots of brushes, primer, paint and clear coat.

$27 is about average for a kit like that, maybe a tad on the cheaper end.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Reactions: krs

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
What's the recommended stuff to get to knock out a brake fluid change on my own?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
What's the recommended stuff to get to knock out a brake fluid change on my own?
Clear hose and a container for the old fluid, brake fluid, a friend, line wrenches. Don't cheap out on the last three.

Blackhawk/Proto makes good line wrenches if you don't want to spend Snap-On money, and good fluid is sensible if you're gonna be in there anyway. RBF600 or ATE Typ200 are my go-tos.