GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Simos Tools - New Phone Datalogging App

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
@aaronc7 thank you!

I been meaning to email Scott about this but kept forgetting.
no problem, let me know if you have any other questions. I know there's a lot of settings in there that aren't totally obvious what they do. We could probably clean up the app a little bit now that everything is pretty well tested and good defaults have been figured out etc.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I've got my dongle yesterday, I'm trying to get familiar with it, lots of useful info!
Noob question, the data logging time it's set at around 10 secs and then it stops? or loops until you stop it?
Are there any way to extend the time for logging to let's say 15 seconds?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I've got my dongle yesterday, I'm trying to get familiar with it, lots of useful info!
Noob question, the data logging time it's set at around 10 secs and then it stops? or loops until you stop it?
Are there any way to extend the time for logging to let's say 15 seconds?

It logs as long as the trigger is active.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Another total newb question.

I was asked to provide a log with the following parameters:

AFR
Boost Pressure
Engine Speed
Ignition Timing
Fuel Rail Pressure
Valve Lift State
Turbine Actuator Position

Where do I go to select these parameters and how do I start and stop the actual logging process?

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
n/m figured it out.

Last edited:

amomacko

Car(s)
Golf R 2019 Mk 7.5
Just received the Bluetooth Low Energy dongle from @Switchleg. Shipping was fast. I downloaded the SIMOS application from the Google play store, plugged in the dongle, started the app – it all worked!

I watched the video from @vaarticus (CPO) earlier in this thread. It was very helpful.

Below is a link to my datazap log.

The car is a MK 7.5, 2019 Golf R, stock engine with the exception of K&N air filter. Gas was Shell 92 about a ½ tank mixed with Chevron 94.
It took less than 5 min’s to get the log – very cool.

https://datazap.me/u/amomacko/stocksept-4-2022?log=0&data=6-12-13

What is fantastic is that logging can be triggered by turning on/off cruise control. The cruise control is not engaged just turned on/off - this is covered in the @vaarticus (CPO) video.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with. The following referes to the SIMOS data when uploaded into datazap:

1. Many of the parameters have “FP” in the description – what does “FP” mean? For example, "FP DI Bar" – I believe the "DI" is the direct inject injectors, "Bar" is measure of pressure. Is "FP" fuel pressure?
  2. "knock cyl 1" (etc), I assume this is the percentage of timing being pulled for that cylinder – is that correct?
  3. "turbo speed" is represented by a 3-digit number – should the value be interpreted as thousand RPM? For example, a value of 140 is actually 140,000 rpm?
  4. "map sp kpa" – what does "sp" mean? I believe map is pressure measured at the map sensor in kilo pascals. "sp" appears in several other parameters too.
  5. "put kpa" – what is "put"? kpa I believe is kilo pascals
  6. "turbo air temp c" – is this exhaust gas temperature (EGT)? For example if the value is 112 C should that be interpreted to mean 1120 C?
  7. "tps" (meausured in %) - what is "tps"?

Sorry for all the questions

regards

amomacko

Car(s)
Golf R 2019 Mk 7.5
1. yes
2. degrees of timing
3. yes
4. set point
5. pressure upstream throttle (the boost sensor in your charge pipe after your IC). This is what the ECU uses for boost control.
6. modeled charge temp pre-IC
7. throttle body blade position

That helps a lot - thanks

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
Since the latest update to Simostools app is any one else having an issue with the it going immediately to logging rather than just polling regardless of what the logging trigger is set to? For example if I have the cruise control set as the trigger, no matter if it is on or off when looking at the guages on the app it goes right to logging the parameters. Not sure if I'm just missing something stupid in settings.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Since the latest update to Simostools app is any one else having an issue with the it going immediately to logging rather than just polling regardless of what the logging trigger is set to? For example if I have the cruise control set as the trigger, no matter if it is on or off when looking at the guages on the app it goes right to logging the parameters. Not sure if I'm just missing something stupid in settings.

What version are you on? Maybe sure you don't have a DTC that is forcing cruise control to disabled (state other than off).

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
What version are you on? Maybe sure you don't have a DTC that is forcing cruise control to disabled (state other than off).
V0.91, no DTCs when I checked. I can toggle cruise on and off and see the value change within the app. If I put no values in the log trigger it would still go right to logging.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
V0.91, no DTCs when I checked. I can toggle cruise on and off and see the value change within the app. If I put no values in the log trigger it would still go right to logging.

You're actually 2 versions behind. .93 should be out now if you're signed up for beta. Upgrade and test again.

Switchleg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7
You probably just upgraded from pre 0.80 where the trigger and assignments have changed drastically. Best suggestion is reinstall to get the new default trigger and PID csv settings.