GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R 20 Years Edition

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Also on this "emotion start" BS - who wants to immediately rev their stone cold engine to 2500 rpm upon starting, when it's been sitting and has ZERO oil protecting anything? EVERY SINGLE TIME you start it up? Whoever thought of this stupid gimmick should be fired immediately.
you do know that every single Lamborghini does this as well as this being an option on AMG Benz? This isn't anything new.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I don't think @KevinC was implying that it was something new. But rather something that it is just stupid. Which I agree.
Just another car for my neighbors to hate lol.

lotsofmarks

Car(s)
'18 Sportwagen
20th Anniversary here is 2024 so there should be a bit more time for supply chains etc to get caught up based on that time frame. Unless we are going to have a 19th anniversary edition next year. 2023 is the 40th anniversary of the GTI in the US... wonder if there's anything coming for that. Even just the paint colors and 20 spoke wheels from the 20th would be fun.
The supply chains wont ever catch up, prepare for war with China and Russia

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
you do know that every single Lamborghini does this as well as this being an option on AMG Benz? This isn't anything new.
I figure as long as you start the car at least every three days. You’ll still have enough oil in the head and side walls no? A 2500rpm blip shouldn’t hurt it unless the car has been sitting like a week?

but yeah. I try to avoid upsetting my neighbors myself

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
The coming recession has nothing to do with supply chain and production issues. Less people will be working during a recession. If anything, it's going to make things worse.

A recession isn't going to make semi conductor factories open back up.

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
That’s exactly how it happened back in 07-09 iirc. But then the manufacturers started building less. No?
A recession won't stop production at first. The manufacturers still work to get back to a 60-90 day supply of vehicles to their dealers at first. Once it gets over 90 days you may see them shut production for a week or so here and there.

Last edited:

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I want to get excited about the Mk8 R. I should, at least for the mechanical updates, but I can't. This anniversary edition sounds cool as well, but still no chemistry with me. It all has to do with the looks, both exterior and interior. All the way back to the Mk1 Golf by Giugiaro, the design was clean and elemental; this latest iteration has lost much of that elegance on the front-end with all those additional hood creases. And the back-end is little better by grafting on the corporate design taillights, which might work on an Tiguan or Atlas, but seem out of place on a Golf, R or otherwise. The cabin fares no better. The Mk7's dashboard was the result of careful evolution balancing driving function with style. The new R, with its flat-panel-display-a-palooza, haptic-touch dashboard, just screams that it has lost its mission as a driver's car. What exactly is "infotainment," and do we really need to be "infotained?" It's as if the Mk8 R, 20 year anniversary edition or not, is just trying too hard, and you can't help but notice it. My two cents.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I want to get excited about the Mk8 R. I should, at least for the mechanical updates, but I can't. This anniversary edition sounds cool as well, but still no chemistry with me. It all has to do with the looks, both exterior and interior. All the way back to the Mk1 Golf by Giugiaro, the design was clean and elemental; this latest iteration has lost much of that elegance on the front-end with all those additional hood creases. And the back-end is little better by grafting on the corporate design taillights, which might work on an Tiguan or Atlas, but seem out of place on a Golf, R or otherwise. The cabin fares no better. The Mk7's dashboard was the result of careful evolution balancing driving function with style. The new R, with its flat-panel-display-a-palooza, haptic-touch dashboard, just screams that it has lost its mission as a driver's car. What exactly is "infotainment," and do we really need to be "infotained?" It's as if the Mk8 R, 20 year anniversary edition or not, is just trying too hard, and you can't help but notice it. My two cents.
Funny, I'm nearly the exact opposite. I never really liked the Mk7, the slab sides just always looked wrong to me. The Mk6 looked so much better, but the dynamics of the Mk7 were leagues better, so she might be ugly, but she drives well. The Mk8 fixes it all for me. Brings the shoulder line back, cleans up overall design and flows better, again, to my eyes. The interior makes more sense to me too, center displays are higher, fixing my one dislike about the Mk7. $20 fixes the hood prop, $2k will fix the stupid oval exhaust and $3k should get me sorted on proper wheels, tires, brake fluid and the usual litany of crap I'll have to do to the substandard shifty bits, until the AP is released for the Mk8 and then I'll need a clutch too. But that's all predicated on the fact that I actually get one. 11 total in the entire country right now, no sense of when more manuals are being built, much less delivered. I may have to love ol' Slab Sides a while longer.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Funny, I'm nearly the exact opposite. I never really liked the Mk7, the slab sides just always looked wrong to me. The Mk6 looked so much better, but the dynamics of the Mk7 were leagues better, so she might be ugly, but she drives well. The Mk8 fixes it all for me. Brings the shoulder line back, cleans up overall design and flows better, again, to my eyes. The interior makes more sense to me too, center displays are higher, fixing my one dislike about the Mk7. $20 fixes the hood prop, $2k will fix the stupid oval exhaust and $3k should get me sorted on proper wheels, tires, brake fluid and the usual litany of crap I'll have to do to the substandard shifty bits, until the AP is released for the Mk8 and then I'll need a clutch too. But that's all predicated on the fact that I actually get one. 11 total in the entire country right now, no sense of when more manuals are being built, much less delivered. I may have to love ol' Slab Sides a while longer.
Please tell me you have a build thread with the title of ‘Ol Slab Sides!

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion

I thought the boxy styling of the MK7 was near perfection. Subjective, like you stated.

Also, you can spend a lot less at a custom shop to replace those tips.