GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Thanks for the reply friend. My original radio is a std MIB2 + 6.2 inch screen, I plan to upgrade to Dynaudio + harman MIB2 with 8" screen.
Pretty sure this guy is from Brazil as well. Try reaching out to him.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/mib2-std-plug-and-play.402121/
@luisguilherme If you end up buying from this person let me know how it goes. Won't respond to my questions and interested to see how well they program/integrate the setup.

ilovemyeggcar

Car(s)
2018 gti
hello people, im new to this website, i’ve had my 2018 gti for about 5 months now and i really want to go stage 1, i have a full intake and that’s it, i’ve been looking around but it’s all a headache i feel like. i looked at cobb because the access port is great but i know their stage 1 isn’t the best. i’m looking to spend less than 1k which i know is easy but i need suggestions on the best bang for my buck tune that will give me the most power with good reliability and easy to take off the car just in case.

thank you in advance.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
hello people, im new to this website, i’ve had my 2018 gti for about 5 months now and i really want to go stage 1, i have a full intake and that’s it, i’ve been looking around but it’s all a headache i feel like. i looked at cobb because the access port is great but i know their stage 1 isn’t the best. i’m looking to spend less than 1k which i know is easy but i need suggestions on the best bang for my buck tune that will give me the most power with good reliability and easy to take off the car just in case.

thank you in advance.

All depends on what you want overall- if your a hands on person, Cobb access port allows you to change tunes in your driveway.

APR and Unitronic are tube and drive -

If your DSG then you can choose either one cause you will need a DSG tune.

I have APR stage 1 high torque, im a 6MT on stock clutch for now but i dont Really open her up until i have Time or space.

APR does offer a low torque tune if your a 6MT.

Pretty sure there are others but I’m happy with APR cause i don’t want to mess with access port (personal preference)

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1

thank you in advance.
Manual or DSG? If manual, you will likely need a clutch soon after going stage 1, which will quickly blow your 1k budget. There are low torque tunes to try to prevent that, but it's still a gamble. If DSG, it's a good idea to budget for that tune too, which will also put you at our over budget.

If you really want Cobb, buy your AP through a good tuner (EQT, Stratified, etc.) and it will come with their stage 1 for you to use instead of Cobb.

Lastly, use the search function. I know this is the "stupid questions" thread, but this topic has been beaten to death. Tons of info out there already.

ilovemyeggcar

Car(s)
2018 gti
Manual or DSG? If manual, you will likely need a clutch soon after going stage 1, which will quickly blow your 1k budget. There are low torque tunes to try to prevent that, but it's still a gamble. If DSG, it's a good idea to budget for that tune too, which will also put you at our over budget.

If you really want Cobb, buy your AP through a good tuner (EQT, Stratified, etc.) and it will come with their stage 1 for you to use instead of Cobb.

Lastly, use the search function. I know this is the "stupid questions" thread, but this topic has been beaten to death. Tons of info out there already.
i’m dsg so yeah i’ll have to get a dsg tune, ty for the imput ill look into a cobb ap from another tuner is sneekeytuned a good way to go?

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I don't ever remember a Stage 1 tune making the turbo so loud. In my GLI I can hear all of the stututu and other noises so clearly, but only after the tune. Never was like this on my previous Stage 1 cars..

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I don't ever remember a Stage 1 tune making the turbo so loud. In my GLI I can hear all of the stututu and other noises so clearly, but only after the tune. Never was like this on my previous Stage 1 cars..
My APR tune did the stustustu sound with an open intake, but the EQT tune makes a single PSHHH! sound, which I prefer. Could not hear either with the stock intake, but I am halfway deaf.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Does a deadset kit actually have an impact? I see everyone installing it with an FSB or LCA and commenting on the improved steering feel - but I'm left unsure if it's the LCA/FSB or deadset kit.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
My APR tune did the stustustu sound with an open intake, but the EQT tune makes a single PSHHH! sound, which I prefer. Could not hear either with the stock intake, but I am halfway deaf.
I don't even have an open intake. Just removed the snow guard and did an aFe Pro Dry filter. Still couldn't hear the turbo at all. Then went Stage 1 and now it's all I can hear.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Anyone have any success removing the 02 sensor with the DP on the car?

Adding to my troubles is that it's a 4" trackslag, so not a ton of room in there, but I need to get the spacer on before I take the car in for emissions. I can get the socket on it and with varying extensions and swivels can get different socket wrenches to it but it won't budge. Would really prefer not to take it off but if push comes to shove...

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

Adding to my troubles is that it's a 4" trackslag, so not a ton of room in there, but I need to get the spacer on before I take the car in for emissions. I can get the socket on it and with varying extensions and swivels can get different socket wrenches to it but it won't budge. Would really prefer not to take it off but if push comes to shove.
Might be stuck on there good depending on how long you ran it. I've had luck getting mine off an on with the DP on the car still. Used a crows foot 02 socket and worked like a charm. Granted ARM has the 02 down a little further so it's easy to reach under the car on ramps.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI

Adding to my troubles is that it's a 4" trackslag, so not a ton of room in there, but I need to get the spacer on before I take the car in for emissions. I can get the socket on it and with varying extensions and swivels can get different socket wrenches to it but it won't budge. Would really prefer not to take it off but if push comes to shove...
I was able to get the O2 sensor off, but getting it back on was another story. Since I used a J spacer I ended up having to take the DP off anyway.

cb1111

I propose that we play "six degrees of Kevin Bacon" whenever we get a "my xyz broke, is it covered under warranty because I'm tuned?" question.

This fellow AC issue - dealer or elsewhere? | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum just asked about his AC. My first reaction was "there is no connection" but later I thought "is there a scenario where a tune could affect the operation of the AC?" It clearly depends on what was "tuned", but I'm thinking that we could give more comprehensive answers if we said "Unrelated, however if...."

Dealers are becoming even more risk averse these days and I think we should point out unintended consequences - no matter how farfetched it may be.