GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
20220615_223243.jpg

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I got some of the Rutheniums myself from Napa today and as soon as it isn't burning hot outside I am going to change my oil and my plugs.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
We got a little relief today in SE NC. It was still about 90 but less humid. Let my buddy work on his GS350 F sport in my garage so he could check out the Quickjack setup. Sweet ride but he was impressed with the GTI. BAUN fmic kept IATs within 4 deg of ambient this afternoon. Always more fun beating on a car when someone else is with me.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S

Proxima2

Ready to race!
Im up for my first plug change (27K now) and I am a bit worried about the coil packs. Ive heard the boot can separate from the upper part. Im gunna warm up the engine to as hot as I can stand it, then remove the pacs. Sound good?

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Im up for my first plug change (27K now) and I am a bit worried about the coil packs. Ive heard the boot can separate from the upper part. Im gunna warm up the engine to as hot as I can stand it, then remove the pacs. Sound good?
I have have taken the plugs out 4-5 times and never had an issue.

I usually do it in the evening after work, and I just wait for the engine to cool enough to be comfortable to work on, there's no need to risk burning yourself.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Im up for my first plug change (27K now) and I am a bit worried about the coil packs. Ive heard the boot can separate from the upper part. Im gunna warm up the engine to as hot as I can stand it, then remove the pacs. Sound good

You want to drive it until its fully warmed up, +200deg oil.. Don't let it cool at all, literally park it, pop the hood open, get some gloves or something, because its all going to be very hot... undo the 4 plugs and nuts and pull away.... its still going to be difficult, so be prepared to pull hard and straight up, you dont want to snap them and leave half of it inside....

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
It’s much easier to remove the coil packs with the engine warm. Doesn’t need to be super hot. If they don’t pop out easy let the engine run longer.
careful with the double nut ground strap also as it’s a low torque value (can’t recall of the top of my head)

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
  • Chemical Guy's New Car Smell spray -- If you get this stuff, cut it 50/50 with distilled water for a better scent and to make it go a lot further. Spray it down in the passenger footwell and blast the AC on recirculation for several minutes.
  • Phoenix Titan SiO2 Hybrid Detailer spray -- Supposedly very heat-, humid-, and sun-friendly. I haven't used it yet, but my usual stuff (Nova Lustre) has application issues when it's super hot.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
It’s much easier to remove the coil packs with the engine warm. Doesn’t need to be super hot. If they don’t pop out easy let the engine run longer.
careful with the double nut ground strap also as it’s a low torque value (can’t recall of the top of my head)
It's 9NM. And you still might strip it (ask me how i know)

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
236E000C-C8E2-4487-8CB6-E7B5AE9B9945.jpeg
5F0EE6C5-DCF9-4FD9-A89D-7441893FA8FF.jpeg

My HS Tuning RSR Hybrid with 75k tuned miles decided it didn’t want to hold all the torques anymore. So after painstaking and exhaustive research I decided to pull the trigger on a SPEC mini-twin in d-trim. Thanks to @JerseyDrew77 for answering all my questions.