GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Got the problem thank you. The labels say 206 K but the moulded part no. is M which is listed as a sports van part and 30mm shorter. Fingers crossed TPS will sort it out. So glad I'm not going mad.

Nice solution then!!..& yes it gets a bit worrying some times!!

KBob

Car(s)
Golf Mk7.5 GTI
I have after much delay fitted the front LCA aero covers (5WA 407 118 and 5WA 407 117) to my MY19 Mk7.5 GTI.
A bit of extra work involved cutting two channels to clear the cable ties for the RS3 brake ducts.
Nice snug fit though.

AeroFront1.jpg

AeroFront2.jpg

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
I have after much delay fitted the front LCA aero covers (5WA 407 118 and 5WA 407 117) to my MY19 Mk7.5 GTI.
A bit of extra work involved cutting two channels to clear the cable ties for the RS3 brake ducts.
Nice snug fit though.

Hi.
Can you give me the fixing instructions for these covers please and what fastning clips .

Last edited:

KBob

Car(s)
Golf Mk7.5 GTI
Nice snug fit though.

Hi.
Can you give me the fixing instructions for these covers please and what fastning clips .

I used the black plastic push rivets, part number, 8E0 825 267

You will need four of them.

BeeryTravler

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI SE
Finally got around to installing everything today. A couple of comments:

The stand-offs for the front skid/aero guard are a pain. Removing the lower fender liner and then the horn made them go a lot easier. I planned on installing an iSweep Front Lower bar, but it did not clear (I'll be putting this up for sale soon if anyone wants it. Clears the SuperPro LCAs with RS3 ducts without issue. No issues with the Audi jack pads either.
20220423_153908.jpg

Big thanks to @mech23 for the mid cover. The rear exhaust cover did not clear the ECS rear chassis brace kit. I had to notch the cover, and put the screw holders on to the main underbody panel, so the exhaust cover was on the bottom. Looks like it will hold.

20220423_153954.jpg

034 RSB, Stern rear Chassis Brace, Rear aero covers - no issues at all

20220423_153947.jpg

Overall very straightforward install. Thanks @golfdave for the great guide! Going to the autocross track tomorrow to test everything out. Now I just need to figure out if I can justify $650 for the Verus rear diffusor!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Finally got around to installing everything today. A couple of comments:

The stand-offs for the front skid/aero guard are a pain. Removing the lower fender liner and then the horn made them go a lot easier. I planned on installing an iSweep Front Lower bar, but it did not clear (I'll be putting this up for sale soon if anyone wants it. Clears the SuperPro LCAs with RS3 ducts without issue. No issues with the Audi jack pads either.

Big thanks to @mech23 for the mid cover. The rear exhaust cover did not clear the ECS rear chassis brace kit. I had to notch the cover, and put the screw holders on to the main underbody panel, so the exhaust cover was on the bottom. Looks like it will hold.

034 RSB, Stern rear Chassis Brace, Rear aero covers - no issues at all

Overall very straightforward install. Thanks @golfdave for the great guide! Going to the autocross track tomorrow to test everything out. Now I just need to figure out if I can justify $650 for the Verus rear diffusor!

I did say:- "Now the tricky bit! You need to reach up & with great dexterity, place the brackets on the rear face of the crash bar mounting plates & insert the bolts with built in washers ".

;) ......""& with great dexterity"
has become a bit of a catch phase....in other words fecking damn near impossible!!..😬

& trying to resist scratching the itch that is the Versus rear diffuser.......good luck with that!!...:ROFLMAO:......only reason I don't have one is its only for the hatch!..

Anyway glad you found the guides helpful...!!

bradbusa

Car(s)
17 gti
MK8 Golf hatch has a short axel tray similar to the below listed MK5 Golf one. However there is a larger rounder end shape near where the tray meets the fuel tank/exhaust. On initial inspection it looks like it will still fit. Part number 5WA-501-713

Parts required:-

VAG ETKA illustration for VW Passat/2009/Rear Axle/No.505-000,
Parts list & approx. costs in UK £

For big cover:-
Item No.7:- 1K0 501 681
, retaining bracket, left, £2.68 (x1) ***
Item No.7:- 1K0 501 682, retaining bracket, right, £2.75 (x1)***
Item No.9:- N 905 483 05, Hex collared bolt M8x20mm, £0.86 (x2) ***
Item No.10:- N 901 838 03, Hex collared nyloc nut M8, £0.67 (x2) ***
Item No.12:- 3C0 501 713 A, Plastic trim for rear axle support frame (includes Item No.13), £36.10 (x1) ***
Item No.13:- WHT 000 713, Hex collared plastic nut Z11, £0.23 (x2)
*** = Only these items required from the dealers in my project! ***

VAG ETKA illustration for VW Golf Mk5/Rear Axle/No.505-000,
Parts list & approx. costs in UK £

For small cover:-
Item No.7:- 1K0 501 682
, retaining bracket, right, £2.75 (x1)
Item No.9:- N 905 483 05, Hex collared bolt M8x20mm, £0.86 (x1)
Item No.10:- N 901 838 03, Hex collared nyloc nut M8, £0.67 (x1)
Item No.12:- 1K0 501 713D, Plastic trim for rear axle support frame (includes Item No.13), £41.54 (x1)
Item No.13:- WHT 000 713, Hex collared plastic nut Z11, £0.23 (x2)
Hello, I am trying to piece together all the parts for the rear axle cover. I have a 2017 gti, and the mkv cover (1k0 501 713D) seems to keep coming up NLA. Should I look for the mk8 cover? I'm a little confused with the 2 sets of parts required listed.

Thanks,
Brad

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hello, I am trying to piece together all the parts for the rear axle cover. I have a 2017 gti, and the mkv cover (1k0 501 713D) seems to keep coming up NLA. Should I look for the mk8 cover? I'm a little confused with the 2 sets of parts required listed.

Thanks,
Brad

Try the MK8 rear axel cover then...when I originally wrote the thread the MK8 didn't exist.....I do try to keep it up-to-date..& sometimes you can find the older parts for peanuts at scrap dealers/breakers yards..

Pierreoj

Car(s)
Alltrack 2018
Thank you golfdave for maintaining these articles.

From what I understand, the best mod to do is the rear mk8 shields.

I have an Alltrack so I already have the reinforced front plate. The next best upgrade would be the Tiguan subframe cover.
Is the short center shield worth it? For about the same price, after doing the Tiguan shield, how much pita would be to fabricate a bracket to have the longer shield fit there? For me it sounds like the Tiguan shield is more involved in modification and drilling.

i have a cat there as well, so short or long shield? Or no shield as the best improvements come from the front pieces?

thank you :)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thank you golfdave for maintaining these articles.

From what I understand, the best mod to do is the rear mk8 shields.

I have an Alltrack so I already have the reinforced front plate. The next best upgrade would be the Tiguan subframe cover.
Is the short center shield worth it? For about the same price, after doing the Tiguan shield, how much pita would be to fabricate a bracket to have the longer shield fit there? For me it sounds like the Tiguan shield is more involved in modification and drilling.

i have a cat there as well, so short or long shield? Or no shield as the best improvements come from the front pieces?

thank you :)

As you have the AWD/haldex system you can only "factory" fit the front reinforced skid tray (you already have), the short front exhaust cover, & the rear lower arm rubber stone covers.

You can as you say remove (if factory fitted) the rear lower arm rubber stone stone covers & fit the MK8 aero covers.

You can if you want fit the Tiguan front subframe cover, but that involves drilling holes etc..

You could instead of fitting the front short "aero lip" exhaust cover, fit the metal cross tunnel bracket & longer bolts) to your cardan shaft bracket & fit either the MK7 plastic long cover, or the all metal MK8 cover.

As you have a cat there an all metal long cover would be ok, as even with the long cover you are not covering the whole length of the tunnel. This allowing for air flow to cool the exhaust.

If you don't want to "bodge" it then just fit the short cover as its an aero "lip", so will direct the air flow better..

bradbusa

Car(s)
17 gti
Try the MK8 rear axel cover then...when I originally wrote the thread the MK8 didn't exist.....I do try to keep it up-to-date..& sometimes you can find the older parts for peanuts at scrap dealers/breakers yards..
Thanks for the reply. My dealer was somehow able to send both mk5 and mk8 rear axle covers even after stating the rear cover didn't exist anymore:unsure:
Is one preferred over the other? Or does one require less modification?

Thanks,
Brad

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for the reply. My dealer was somehow able to send both mk5 and mk8 rear axle covers even after stating the rear cover didn't exist anymore:unsure:
Is one preferred over the other? Or does one require less modification?

Thanks,
Brad

Well thats a turn up for the books!!

I think the MK5 requires less work...I can't remember as I haven't done it...somebody has done both & its in this big thread..so a bit of a hunt for it...

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
Dumb question (and maybe already in this thread somewhere), but is there an underbody diagram that shows what aero parts would go where?

I’m having a tough time visualizing where the exhaust tunnel stuff ‘fits’ exactly compared to the other underbody aero.

I’ve got a 7.5 R, so my understanding is that other than the full front aero tray and control arm stuff, there’s really not any other OEM underbody aero that will likely fit?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dumb question (and maybe already in this thread somewhere), but is there an underbody diagram that shows what aero parts would go where?

I’m having a tough time visualizing where the exhaust tunnel stuff ‘fits’ exactly compared to the other underbody aero.

I’ve got a 7.5 R, so my understanding is that other than the full front aero tray and control arm stuff, there’s really not any other OEM underbody aero that will likely fit?

There were some overviews from a different car....but if you look at my photos for those trays in the first few post on the first page of this thread you'll see were/what I'm talking about.....