GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
To be noted my personal preference recommendation when going down the mod bunny hole. - still would really be - 4” DP, is38 hybrid, All THE FUEL with E85 + meth for a none built engine car 😂😂😂 anything under that is still a SLOW car. 🤑
That's fully what I'm expecting the tiggy to be in a year or two lmao. Plus air ride

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
From that post and my interpretation of your wants, expectations… DTR sounds perfect still, get the dtr for $1500, sell the AP and use some of the funds to offset the clutch.

Also a dtr just like a is38 is much easier on a clutch than an aggressive TQ hitter like a eqt 93 tune.
I have a RSR Hybrid clutch I will be installing soon.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
opened a support ticket about the emissions readiness. i want them to tell me what to do - i.e., pull the battery, check for random things, etc.

audia3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Audi A3 2.0T
Audi issue here, but just got the v1.3 update this morning and now my heads up display is not working properly. Many function are blocked and say ("please turn on ignition") despite ignition being on. Also my side assist is not working now (probably related). My tuner (National Speed) is going to call to try and figure this out. I'll try to do some 0-60 Dragy runs this evening to see if there is any difference with v1.3.

Anyone else with v1.3 have any technical issues?

PXL_20220607_144155380.MP.jpg

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
I think any ethanol tune on an APR ecosystem would be a huge inconvenience. Correct me if im wrong, but you are unable to change between files on your own which would make you locked on the ethanol blend / tune unless you visit the APR vendor again.
Unless they release a flex tune...

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
That'd be impossible! Who could pull of such a thing, other than boutique tuning houses?

(looks in the direction of 'highly respected' tuner IE)

Oh.
Since APR had made it clear all future products need to be EPA compliant how many tuners are now on the list?

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Since APR had made it clear all future products need to be EPA compliant how many tuners are now on the list?
I'm not sure what you're getting at. (I'm not being sarcastic- I'm dumb)

Tom/APR1

Ready to race!
DTR Cons:
- Less low end torque compared to Stage 1 or 2
- Not as well rounded as FBO IS38 due to retaining stock DP
- Spools slower than FBO IS38 so not necessarily any faster below felony speeds
- Relatively conservative tune compared to competitors
- New product. If you’re on the fence and aren’t comfortable with encountering a few hiccups and required software updates, just wait for the growing pains to be sorted out.

DTR Pros:
- Less expensive than FBO IS38, with similar performance
- Most powerful emissions compliant performance upgrade
- Great turnkey option for more power without significant sacrifice of daily driveability or fuel economy under normal driving conditions
I agree with some of these pros and cons... For the cons, yes, it is a bigger turbo. You cannot make as much low end torque compared to the smaller, stock turbo at low RPMs, regardless of what you do. It is a physical limitation of bigger turbos that automakers are spending literally billions now trying to overcome. For some of CarbonDub's other cons. I disagree with these. The software is very refined and incredibly smooth, and in no way is conservative. It does not have uncontrolled boost spikes and it does not knock. It drives like an OEM calibration, but the powerband is completely different from what people are used to with a Mk7.

At the end of the day, I think people need to realize that this is not, and never was, designed to be the ultimate HP kit on the market. It is a step bigger than an IS38, but is not a replacement for a big turbo - we still make and sell a big turbo kit, if ultimate power is what you are after for your race car. The DTR hits a specific consumer that wants about as much power as the stock rods can take on pump gas and still remain 100k mile reliable. It Is emissions compliant, something a car with an aftermarket downpipe will never be able to do. It IS faster than an IS38, even one with FBO's. You are traction limited on a FWD car until you get to higher RPMs in 2nd, even with sticky tires and a differential. If you were to throw a stock downpipe on an IS38, the gap between the IS38 and the DTR would become even more apparent.

On a broader view, in order to continue modifying your car and for aftermarket companies to remain in business, emissions compliant products are the only future - like it or not. I know how some people feel about this, and I personally hate it as well, but if you have noticed, getting downpipes for cars is getting harder and harder. A clean, green future is the only path that will be allowed, and every company had better get in line.

Last edited:

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
Well I might as well put my 2 cents in, this is probably going to get long winded, but here we go. I installed this kit this weekend and got flashed on Monday. This is on a 2018 Audi S3, DQ381 7 speed DSG, just the turbo, no additional fueling, 93 octane. For reference this car had EQT OTS stage 1 then EQT OTS stage 2, as well as EQT DSG Tune. I can fill in why I switched to this kit later on. To give you an idea of who I am, I drive to work and back, 25-30 miles each way. I take the highway to work, back roads home. I don't go to the track, I don't ever drive in "Mexico", I'm not looking to take anyone to Gapplebee's, there are no canyons in rural Connecticut, I don't care if your FBO GTI or Golf R can do the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs. I just want a reasonably fast, fun car without having to deal with too much bullshit, I don't have time for that.
I won't get into installation, there's plenty of information on removing/installing a turbo on the MQB platform. I will say it's not that bad, just time consuming.
In regards to the ECU/TCU Tune and driving experience, the car is incredibly smooth and refined. Not sure how to put it any other way, it's really that smooth. It doesn't give you that torque punch during hard acceleration from a roll, but you look at the speedo and you're already way past legal speeds, it's deceiving. I put the stock airbox back on with AFe dry flow filter, there is barely any turbo noise with this setup. I have an APR open hot air intake if I want whistley noises, but I wanted to keep IAT in check for now. Driving in D from a stop, if you give it some good throttle it feels as punchy as the IS38. I'm sure it's due to the gearing, but it makes up for any lag and you're up to speed right away. On the highway, the top end over the IS38 is nice to have, 70-90mph passing is a breeze. The one complaint I have is with the TCU tune in D when taking off slowly or in a slow speed area (30-40mph), I'm in 5th by the time I get to 30mph. If I'm cruising along at 40ish I'm in 6th! This is where the turbo lag really shows up, the car is quick to downshift if I give it moderate throttle, but I feel like it should be down a gear to begin with to be closer to the powerband. With slowing down, it holds gear way too long. Basically I wish it was less aggressive to up shift at slow take offs and more aggressive to downshift when slowing down. In Sport its completely different, if you're crusing along, the transmission is keeping you right in the meat of the power and it holds until you ride it out before changing gears. On the EQT DSG Tune in sport, if you were in say 3rd, but didn't really accelerate, it would go to 4th after a few seconds and chill, APR.....nope, it's keeping that thing in 3rd until you run it to redline, but it is a different turbo, so I would expect the characteristics to be different than EQT. I will say the shifts feel faster and more crisp on the APR TCU tune overall.
I only have maybe 150 miles of seat time, but I was driving through some New England back roads today. If you're from the area you'll know the type...winding roads, through the hills, trees everywhere two feet from the road, short straight aways, nearly every corner is a blind corner. I put it in manual mode, kept it in 3rd and I let it rip. Really good transient response, as fast as you would really want to go on the street, no power drop off, easy to get into some butt puckering situations.
Overall, I am pretty satisfied so far, this kit fits my goals and what I was looking to achieve. If you're looking to run your car on the ragged edge, drag racing every weekend, trying to blow doors on that asshole neighbor that has the Dodge charger with the punisher sticker on the back, I don't know maybe this kit isn't for you. All I'm saying is temper your expectations, do what you want, I'm not your father.

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
who drives in D anyway