GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the Mk8 rear suspension aero covers or stone guards to a Mk7 Golf.

seanblee

Car(s)
Golf Mk7.5 GTI PP
Got these fitted today, thanks for the guide Dave. I ended up using the rivnuts and installing with a tool like this from eBay, which made it very easy - ratchet spanner on the nut and a socket on the bolt head at the top to stop it turning and I was done in a couple of minutes!
1634653434390.png

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Just ordered everything through e-acca. Total was $46 compared to almost double through the US vendors, and I don't mind the wait. Thanks for the info.

vwaudiq3

Car(s)
2022 Audi Q3
Hi, thanks to the detailed post! I just did it too on my 2022 audi q3. I was kinda worried that this would not apply to a totally different car, but in fact that an audi q3 is on mqb platform, I gave it a shot. Interesting thing was the rivet nut was pre-installed on the rear lower arms. I just had to install the rivet nut screws on the bottom side. I will attach some photos of my car. Thanks!
0167BF7D-43E2-45C4-80B8-1ECC54492B55.jpeg

34516888-0395-4F01-8C3D-89F91D71FBFE.jpeg

E4989D0F-57A0-4E2B-A573-4837FE1EC7E7.jpeg

5505E607-63A8-45B6-883C-318444A22410.jpeg

F255D25A-DDC6-4E63-A631-DCED862FF371.jpeg

E6802051-4912-4417-8511-17E5087E0C57.jpeg

9140F0AF-817C-47F3-91A7-7AD9FCDB8CCB.jpeg

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Hi, thanks to the detailed post! I just did it too on my 2022 audi q3. I was kinda worried that this would not apply to a totally different car, but in fact that an audi q3 is on mqb platform, I gave it a shot. Interesting thing was the rivet nut was pre-installed on the rear lower arms. I just had to install the rivet nut screws on the bottom side. I will attach some photos of my car. Thanks!
View attachment 250603
View attachment 250604
View attachment 250605
View attachment 250606
View attachment 250607
View attachment 250608
View attachment 250609
That’s Wild your 22 didn’t come with them Stock.

My 2022 Tiguan (SE, so not even the top tier package) has these on them from the factory.

vwaudiq3

Car(s)
2022 Audi Q3
That’s Wild your 22 didn’t come with them Stock.

My 2022 Tiguan (SE, so not even the top tier package) has these on them from the factory.
wow really? Same thing goes for the engine cover. Some q3 have engine covers with audi rings and tfsi letter but some just have the plain black engine cover that tiguan has. Hard to understand what VWAUDI is doing.

vwaudiq3

Car(s)
2022 Audi Q3
Found something interesting. Looks like there is an aero cover for the front suspensions too.
The picture is 2022 Audi A3. I don't know the part number and couldn't find anything about this part.
Hope this fits the cars on MQB platform. Anyone knows about this front cover?
IMG_0220.PNG

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
wow really? Same thing goes for the engine cover. Some q3 have engine covers with audi rings and tfsi letter but some just have the plain black engine cover that tiguan has. Hard to understand what VWAUDI is doing.
Using the parts they have on hand to push cars out.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Found something interesting. Looks like there is an aero cover for the front suspensions too.
The picture is 2022 Audi A3. I don't know the part number and couldn't find anything about this part.
Hope this fits the cars on MQB platform. Anyone knows about this front cover?
View attachment 250621

Its been discussed in the big skid tray thread...it fits some cars as the wishbone shape is slightly different...but if your car the same as above but doesn't have them fitted, then its a straight forward fit.

Your countries importer spec & changes at the factory are the main reasons why your car may or may not have certain items fitted...

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I got my aero covers yesterday and thought I had the proper nuts to complete the install, but of course I didn't. Ran out to Harbor Freight and picked up this fastener kit instead of going the stainless steel route. Although the bolts may provide better support, the plastic fastener looks a bit more streamlined and the image on NGP's site used the plastic riv-nuts as well. I've yet to go out for a test drive since I ran out of time and had to log on for work. Overall, super simple quick install. Wasted more time getting the car up on quickjacks.

Harbor Freight kit:
1654864164632.png

Image was taken right off NGO's site:

1654864741392.png

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I got my aero covers yesterday and thought I had the proper nuts to complete the install, but of course I didn't. Ran out to Harbor Freight and picked up this fastener kit instead of going the stainless steel route. Although the bolts may provide better support, the plastic fastener looks a bit more streamlined and the image on NGP's site used the plastic riv-nuts as well. I've yet to go out for a test drive since I ran out of time and had to log on for work. Overall, super simple quick install. Wasted more time getting the car up on quickjacks.

Harbor Freight kit:

VAG at factory use the metal rivet nuts & bolts on the road facing fixings..& plastic push rivets on the top fixings.

This presumably because the bottom fixing takes more strain if they get caught when the car is reversing & the trim snags on something on the ground.

Originally I had the fitted the plastic push rivets on the bottom & the metal ones on the top when I fitted the original rock protectors....this due to the way VAG draw their diagrams..i.e. not 100% clear!

Many people use plastic push rivets top & bottom & have NO problems...

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
VAG at factory use the metal rivet nuts & bolts on the road facing fixings..& plastic push rivets on the top fixings.

This presumably because the bottom fixing takes more strain if they get caught when the car is reversing & the trim snags on something on the ground.

Originally I had the fitted the plastic push rivets on the bottom & the metal ones on the top when I fitted the original rock protectors....this due to the way VAG draw their diagrams..i.e. not 100% clear!

Many people use plastic push rivets top & bottom & have NO problems...
Hmm...that makes sense. I may just order the metal rivet nuts and bolts for more security. I tried using some bolts, washers, and locking nuts I had laying around but I didn't like how they fit.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I suddenly find myself highly motivated to install these.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S

Harbor Freight kit:
View attachment 251995

View attachment 251996

Do you think the plastic riv-nuts will keep the covers on at high speed?