GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
@GTIfan99 what street pads gave you the best pedal feel of those you’ve tried?
I've tried different track pads, they all had a better pedal feel. I've only used z26 on street, because cheap and low dust.

The best pedal feel to this point was the PS track day pads, but they were super hard on the rotors, left trails is sparks in braking zones, and turned the side of my car black.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Go easy on me but what do pads have to do with pedal feel? I always thought either fade or air in the lines would cause a mushy pedal.??..

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Go easy on me but what do pads have to do with pedal feel? I always thought either fade or air in the lines would cause a mushy pedal.??..

I used to think that too, so I just you. It seems the pad material compresses more or less with some compounds than others. That's the only thing I can come up with, but I can tell you is true.

If you'd told me that 2 years ago, I'd have called bs.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
When it comes to feel *on track*, I suspect it mostly has to do with pushing the pedal and not getting the expected response (slowing down with increased pressure). So because you are pressing harder and harder with no result, to you it "feels" soft. Same thing happens when pads glaze over. As long as the fluid isn't boiling, you're not generating any less pressure in the lines. You're pushing the brake pedal further than you anticipate needing to do so to get the desired response... your mind interprets this as a soft pedal initially.

A great example on my last car was switching from Hawk HPS 5.0 pads (which are excellent daily + autocross pads IMO... they dust a bit but it's easy to clean, they're quiet, etc) to G-Loc R12s. Any one of those compounds gives you so much more bite earlier in the pedal travel, that instinctively it seems firmer when in actual use. Just sitting still and pumping the pedal though, there is negligible difference between the two pads. I may or may not have blown about 10ft past a stop sign once after swapping back to street pads and forgetting how much less grabby they are 🙃

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I found someone local selling a pair of Brembo 17Z calipers.. Are they the same as the Macan calipers?

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion

gte718h

Go Kart Newbie
Is there anyone following this thread who is also looking for a single 15mm spacer and appropriate length bolts to be used with the spare? Anyone interested in going in together on a set of used spacers and bolts?

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
Is there anyone following this thread who is also looking for a single 15mm spacer and appropriate length bolts to be used with the spare? Anyone interested in going in together on a set of used spacers and bolts?

If your consideration is only for the spare, just swap the spare to the back and one of the rear wheels the front in the event that you need to use it. Probably safer too as you would have better wheels for power, braking and turning. Spare should fit the rear fine with no spacers.

gte718h

Go Kart Newbie
If your consideration is only for the spare, just swap the spare to the back and one of the rear wheels the front in the event that you need to use it. Probably safer too as you would have better wheels for power, braking and turning. Spare should fit the rear fine with no spacers.
That's what I initially planned on doing, but then I remembered that in worse case scenario (front needs spare), I would have to jack the car up twice with the wimpy little spare jack.

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
That's what I initially planned on doing, but then I remembered that in worse case scenario (front needs spare), I would have to jack the car up twice with the wimpy little spare jack.

I get it but its still probably better than driving with the 2 different sized wheels and if it were me driving on a donut, I'd rather have it in back but I understand not wanting to have to change 2 wheels on the side of the road

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Just ordered a set from Porsche Delaware for 240.00 each.

Think I'm gonna start with the Power Stop Z26-1001 pads unless someone has a better suggestion for street use.

Lastly does anyone have a set of lines they'd like to sell, before I buy new from Techni-Fit?

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Almost forgot.. What's everyone doing to make sure the bleeder screw is facing up? I read the whole thread and thought I recall people swapping the right caliper to the left and vice versa...

MaxM97

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SEL 6MT
Just ordered a set from Porsche Delaware for 240.00 each.

Think I'm gonna start with the Power Stop Z26-1001 pads unless someone has a better suggestion for street use.

Lastly does anyone have a set of lines they'd like to sell, before I buy new from Techni-Fit?
I went with the Z26’s and they are just ok in my opinion. Good stopping power for the street, low dust, girlfriend doesn’t complain about the pedal feel or anything.

I’d buy the Ferodo DS2500’s from FCP as my first pad if I were to do it again based on reviews I’ve seen though.

MaxM97

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SEL 6MT
Almost forgot.. What's everyone doing to make sure the bleeder screw is facing up? I read the whole thread and thought I recall people swapping the right caliper to the left and vice versa...
Yeah just swap the sides. Don’t think much more into it, just mount them so the bleeders point up.