GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
So if Patrick did the 1/8 in 7.6 seconds at 92 mph:

Assuming he does an average of 100mph the rest of the way down the track, it takes about 4.5 seconds to go the other 1/8 mile.

Total 1/4 mile may be about 12 seconds?
It should be 11.8 or so. Here is my is38 Alltrack.

Attachments

• 313E3A68-9ADB-41CE-A84B-A10D1F62A442.jpeg
    313E3A68-9ADB-41CE-A84B-A10D1F62A442.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 110

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I would expect better back half performance from the DTR since it isn't running out of steam at the top of the RPM band. I'm kinda starting to look at it this way, before the APR downpipe was like 800 bucks and the tune was 600. This offers similar performance while maintaining emissions compliance for around the same price. Its a definite upgrade for IS20 cars but if you can get away with a downpipe you can make a lot more power other ways. This is a very innovative offering from APR and is a look to the future of modifying ICE cars moving forward.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Hi @Arin@APR

any chance we can just get an is38 stock dp version? Some of us are cool with less tq going through the front wheels

or maybe a low tq version of the dtr6054?

thnx

Ostateballer

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S PP/LP
FYI on some data, just reposting screenshots from FB. It made 462whp and 425wtq on 94 + 1000cc WMI @ 30-31psi. Apparently he has bolt-ons and HPFP upgrade (and WMI obviously).

Attachments

• DTRfb1.PNG
    DTRfb1.PNG
    793.7 KB · Views: 172
  • DTRfb2.PNG
    DTRfb2.PNG
    50.9 KB · Views: 173
  • DTRfb3.jpg
    DTRfb3.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
There will be 40 pages of shitposting between every useful post again, just in a new thread.
He could do like the Macan brake upgrade thread and update the important information in the first post.
Thanks EPA. Thanks for keeping my future pollutant free. *no joke, diesel truck rolls coal past my street as I write this*
If you have been tracking the EPA involvement in recent years, it was the influx of diesel trucks tuners and the stupid cloud of smoke that started it. There was always some BS coming out of them, but never as bad as when the coal stacks started rolling down the road.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
FYI on some data, just reposting screenshots from FB. It made 462whp and 425wtq on 94 + 1000cc WMI @ 30-31psi. Apparently he has bolt-ons and HPFP upgrade (and WMI obviously).
Ah ha! This is what I like to see, that is some good power! This turbo finally let free from APR's tune!

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
That's really impressive for that alltrack. Total sleeper!

You guys are really gonna force me to take my garbage to the 1/4 mile track aren't you? 0-60 times, 1/8 mile and dyno just ain't good enough 😂

I'm planning to take the car to the 1/8 mile track again after the new update comes out(thanks Arin for the heads up), I'm REALLY confident there's more in it. I hate bench racing, but from my butt dyno the difference between IAT's being around 80F on the street to 110F at the track are huge, almost too much. I swear I'm not crazy, the car just didn't feel nearly as strong on the track compared to how it feels on the street. I really want to think I'm hitting a bug with the mentioned early protection cutting in or something of that regard possibly having to do with mildy high IATs. May have just not noticed it on the dyno since the giant fans keep the IATs nice and low, and when I'm out cruising around, the IAT's stay nice and low so the car feels great.

Here are the track stats for the passes I made. It wasn't bad at all.
1653570022961.png

0-60 on the street with 3750RPM launch:
1653568608409.jpeg

At the track, fully prepped track with the same RPM launch:
1653568920406.png

It's possible the bigger turbo R is more sensitive to temperature period. The car will naturally pull timing if its hot to be safe. Might not be able to combat getting heatsoaked much unless like I do it with the cry02 kit or methanol like was mentioned before.. I'm not sure. I wish I had a draggy to do a hit on the street compared to the track times.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Definitely a CO2 kit. DEI have a lot of options, but Nitrous Outlet brought a kit that is less than 1/2 the price of the DEI CRYO2.

https://nitrousoutlet.com/i-30560137-x-series-halo-design-intercooler-system.html
Not bad, though I wonder if I could purchase just the spray bar and piece together a system for cheaper.

I go to street racing nights at a local track which are a lot of fun as you can sometimes do nearly back-to-back runs. But when hot and humid it can be easy to heat soak an intercooler, when I was stage 2 my FMIC did fine, but now that Im 420+ some kind of spray kit could come in handy on hot VA days. Tbd

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Not bad, though I wonder if I could purchase just the spray bar and piece together a system for cheaper.

I go to street racing nights at a local track which are a lot of fun as you can sometimes do nearly back-to-back runs. But when hot and humid it can be easy to heat soak an intercooler, when I was stage 2 my FMIC did fine, but now that Im 420+ some kind of spray kit could come in handy on hot VA days. Tbd
They have it at Summit for $107. You will need the same parts needed for an NO2 system.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
He could do like the Macan brake upgrade thread and update the important information in the first post.

If you have been tracking the EPA involvement in recent years, it was the influx of diesel trucks tuners and the stupid cloud of smoke that started it. There was always some BS coming out of them, but never as bad as when the coal stacks started rolling down the road.
Agreed on the EPA bit. I don't think folks realize that as far as I can remember it was always illegal/against federal law to tamper with your car's emissions system (remove your cats or run high-flow race cats...yep...those too!)...they just were able to get away with it for so long now it's a huge deal that it's being more enforced. The diesel delete rolling coal crew really got regulators attention but don't leave out the catless DP 2-step crew tuner crew...they are to blame as well.... you know when you are behind one at a stop light and the exhaust smells like my '67 Cougar's did. As always, a minority screws it up for the majority/we can't have nice things.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Ah ha! This is what I like to see, that is some good power! This turbo finally let free from APR's tune!

Is it though? Turbo is tapped out at 460whp on 94 with WMI. 460whp isn't a bad number, not at all. But to be where a turbo maxes out?

Just some additional info

1653572656023.png

420whp on 94, with full bolt-ons and a custom tune. APR claims 406whp on 93. So based on those numbers, giving up emissions compliance, getting all the bolt-ons, and the cost of a custom tune nets you less than 15hp.

That's not good at all.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Is it though? Turbo is tapped out at 460whp on 94 with WMI. 460whp isn't a bad number, not at all. But to be where a turbo maxes out?

View attachment 250366

420whp on 94, with full bolt-ons and a custom tune. APR claims 406whp on 93. So based on those numbers, giving up emissions compliance, getting all the bolt-ons, and the cost of a custom tune nets you less than 15hp.

That's not good at all.
It doesn't sound great if you just look at peak numbers, but look at the shape of the torque curve compared to the ones posted here on the APR tune with the stock DP. It looks like it's spooling faster and earlier, with a much flatter torque curve that doesn't dip nearly as much at 7k rpm. So even if the peak isn't much higher, there's a lot more area under the curve.

All that being said, if you go back like 180 pages, someone kind of pointed out that you shouldn't expect huge gains with a downpipe because the turbine housing appears to have been designed with "not killing the stock cat" at top of mind; it's built to trade off some performance in favor of reducing egts. If you're going to ignore emissions anyway, this isn't the right turbo.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion

View attachment 250366

That's not good at all.

Not attacking anyone, just digesting the data. From the data shown there, I don't know what unicorn 94 is, but if it's equivalent to race gas, APR shows making 420whp on 100 octane, which seems about on par. The other comment of making 400whp on 93 is on par with APR claims as well too, on their tunes with stock DP's. Soo.. that just means that you don't gain anything from a custom tune and aftermarket DP unless you go WMI to add more octane to add a ton of timing? Interesting. Even with the design of the DTR being stock cat friendly, I really thought a DP and custom tune would help it breathe some more.