GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
That's one hell of a smoothing job to gain 100 lb-ft of torque :ROFLMAO:
I think you’re miss reading the dyno graph. Its 360tq at its peak. Just couldn’t fit both of the numbers at one point.
3C145006-3842-407B-8181-E9327CD4B45B.jpeg

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
“How much did APR pay you to post that?”
-$1500 plus tax?

Edit: I will try to write up a legitimate review shortly, preferably before this thing kills me.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Look at APR's graph compared to yours. At 3500 RPM they're up 100 lb-ft at 3500 RPM.
Then that should be an even bigger red flag with their dyno graph and how they loaded it or “converted” the awd readings…. All the data shown via logs and vids you can see This turbo mixed with the stock DP doesn’t even start making real boost till 4200rpms… so how is it making 370 tq to all wheels at 3500? Then by the time it hits 4300 it’s already dipping in power *per that graph.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Then that should be an even bigger red flag with their dyno graph and how they loaded it or “converted” the awd readings…. All the data shown via logs and vids you can see This turbo mixed with the stock DP doesn’t even start making real boost till 4200rpms… so how is it making 370 tq to all wheels at 3500? Then by the time it hits 4300 it’s already dipping in power *per that graph.
I don't think you're the target audience bro, too many questions. The APR DTR6054 is safe and effective.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I don't think you're the target audience bro, too many questions. The APR DTR6054 is safe and effective.
Relevance?

I have never said it was a bad option, not save, or effective (at what?)

My discussion quoted is in regards to exactly what I said and who I quoted.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Dynos: tons of variation between different types. Some are inertia based. Some are loaded. Ours are loaded and each pull is very long in time (GLI was something like 18 seconds for a pull). This has a decent impact on low end torque. The rpm at which it appears to spool is also heavily influenced by air density (spools faster in the winter for example.)

The customer graph posted looks great to me. Power is more than advertised and the shape of the curve looks wonderful. He seven said it did plenty more than a setup that’s claimed higher than ours.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
APR DTR6054 Turbo Kit Initial Review (120 miles)

Platform:

- 2015 GTI SE DSG (Non-Performance Pack), 44K miles

Modifications – Current:

- APR DTR6054 Turbo Kit
- APR Stage 3 DTR6054 ECU Tune – 93 Octane, AWD file
- APR DTR6054 TCU Tune
- IE FDS Intercooler V2
- All others same as below

Modifications – Previous:

- APR Stage 1 ECU Tune – 93 Octane
- APR TCU Tune
- AFE Pro-Dry S Drop-in Filter
- 034 Dogbone Insert
- Performance Pack Brakes (front/rear)
- Stoptech Slotted Rotors
- EBC Redstuff Pads
- H&R Rear Sway Bar, 26mm
- SuperPro Rear Endlinks
- Neuspeed RSE10, 18x8.5 et45
- Michelin PS4S, 245/40/18

ECU Tune:

- Can feel a significant increase in overall speed from 4k to redline, 120mph arrives far too quick
- Power delivery feels almost OEM until it hits 6k rpm and just wants to keep going – you’d think power would fall off, but it doesn’t
- Not laggy down low per say, but noticeably less low-end torque
- Stage 1 low-end torque was exciting because it was somewhat unpredictable
- Stage 3 high-end power, on the other hand, is predictable and avoidable (if not desired)
- I personally do not miss the punch of low-end torque – now when I want my thrills it is fully intentional

TCU Tune:

- Minimal wheelspin in lower gears, even with ESC off
- Noticeably less aggressive downshifts in sport auto. Where the previous TCU tune would work hard to keep you in the powerband, it seems unclear where the DTR TCU tune wants to be
- Is it possible that the DTR tune has an increased redline but is still targeting the previous powerband in sport auto?
- I need more seat time to figure out what it’s trying to do, I’ve spent most of my time in manual mode so far
- I personally do not find the occasional quick down shift to get into the powerband annoying at all – it’s engaging but not cumbersome

Sound/Heat:

- Turbo noise is barely audible in car with the radio off – honestly the sound was so faint, I thought it was coming from a car next to me
- Noise is more noticeable with windows down but far from annoying
- Note – I have OEM roof rack with a Yakima fairing, so I may already be accustomed to a fair amount of wind noise. It’s entirely possible the wind noise is just drowning out the turbo
- No noticeable increase in heat inside the cabin – drive home from the shop was 93-degrees with 80% humidity

Summary:

- Solid performance upgrade from Stage 1 – DTR definitely feels faster all around
- Power feels predictable and composed, but the sheer speed and acceleration keep it far from being boring
- Summer tires still hold grip fairly well under hard acceleration
- I will revisit these thoughts after a week of daily driving and my trip to the drag strip next Friday (5/27) – let me know if anyone is in the DMV and wants to come with

73EEBD01-268B-43C4-9AA0-27B5540D1032.jpeg

Attachments

• 3113BE3B-B6A7-42F5-9705-211686833F3F.jpeg
    3113BE3B-B6A7-42F5-9705-211686833F3F.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 98
  • A8FB0451-190C-411A-B021-BB9F8B1E6A26.jpeg
    A8FB0451-190C-411A-B021-BB9F8B1E6A26.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 103
  • F71AE7AA-9C6F-4D4E-BDC3-B2CCCEA235E2.jpeg
    F71AE7AA-9C6F-4D4E-BDC3-B2CCCEA235E2.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:

audia3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Audi A3 2.0T
@CarbonDub I had the same thoughts on the TCU tune for my 2015 A3. I contacted APR and showed them the video of my car in sport mode and they said the shift points were within their expected range. But I still feel they are low and robing the car. The shift points per APR vs my actual are:
1-2: 6700 (mine is ~6400)
2-3: 7000 (mine is ~6800)
3-4: 7300 (mine is about that)

Ostateballer

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S PP/LP
@CarbonDub I had the same thoughts on the TCU tune for my 2015 A3. I contacted APR and showed them the video of my car in sport mode and they said the shift points were within their expected range. But I still feel they are low and robing the car. The shift points per APR vs my actual are:
1-2: 6700 (mine is ~6400)
2-3: 7000 (mine is ~6800)
3-4: 7300 (mine is about that)
What is the difference between the DTR6054 and their EFR7163 TCU tune?