GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Compatible engine swaps

jonmk7

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.4 tsi
Hey,

So I'm currently looking at swapping out my engine as it has major oil consumption issues. Finding it hard to find a like for like replacement for my TSI 1.4 CXSA. Just wondering if there were any other compatible engines I should look at that would work with my existing ECU. Am I right in thinking that the only real difference between a cxsa and CMBA / CPVA are the variable cams, everything else seem exactly the same.

Thanks for any help.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
All the ECUs are the same..but will need recoding to the engine type...

The CXSA is the Euro5 90kW (122bhp)....the only other similar one is the CMBA....

CPTA, CHPA are 103kW (138bhp) Euro5 & have the variable cams...

There are then the Euro6 versions at 92kW of yours = CZCA & CPVB

CPVA is the bioethanol version of your engine..

If you fit a more powerful engine you have to inform DVLA, as it alters the road tax & insurance registration etc...

In fact as soon as you change the engine you have to inform them & given them the new engine code (if I remember correctly)...but fitting a more powerful engine will increase the insurance costs, road tax etc..

jonmk7

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.4 tsi
All the ECUs are the same..but will need recoding to the engine type...

The CXSA is the Euro5 90kW (122bhp)....the only other similar one is the CMBA....

CPTA, CHPA are 103kW (138bhp) Euro5 & have the variable cams...

There are then the Euro6 versions at 92kW of yours = CZCA & CPVB

CPVA is the bioethanol version of your engine..

If you fit a more powerful engine you have to inform DVLA, as it alters the road tax & insurance registration etc...

In fact as soon as you change the engine you have to inform them & given them the new engine code (if I remember correctly)...but fitting a more powerful engine will increase the insurance costs, road tax etc..

Many thanks for the information. So as long as I stay with a like for like swap, I won't have to recode the ECU?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Many thanks for the information. So as long as I stay with a like for like swap, I won't have to recode the ECU?
if you're using your existing ECU & only changing the engine then you should be ok...