GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
A little more recon work because I was curious. Appears the DTR6054 is actually a little bigger than the Powermax stage 1.
I used this chart for reference https://mygolfmk7.com/mk7-gti-turbochargers/

1652383842545.png
1652383780839.png

1652383810084.png

Some key differences between the two for anyone curious.
-Powermax is journal bearing with reinforced thrust bearing (similar to a hyrbid IS38), DTR is ball bearing.
-Powermax has a twin scroll housing, the DTR does not.
-According to flow claims, IE says the Powermax flows 17% better then the IS38. APR claims 30% more flow with the DTR over the IS38.
-DTR = Emissions legal, Powermax... not
-Power claims seem similar between the two according to manufactures data (up to ~500hp), although it looks like IE focus on more torque with the Powermax.

I love seeing the different new turbo options coming out for these cars with OTS tunes. Makes me think there are going to be some ridiculously fast MQB cars over the next few years. Which is good because we can all unite and put those electric cars to shame!

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
IE hp is to the crank. It’s like 425 whp with their E40 flex tune.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
I think it's cool Garret did this. Before we went down the path of making our own systems we were in touch with them quite a bit, especially on other projects and platforms. We were always a fan of factory upgrades (IS38's / k04's, things of that nature), but they never had anything for the platforms we were after in the early days. Most probably don't know this, but it's not uncommon for multiple big players like Continental, IHI, Honeywell, and Borg Warner to make competing factory turbos in a bid to win the rights to make a unit for a production vehicle. Most of that work just gets thrown away.

I don't recall how much I can actually say, but ultimately we chose to go a different route. In doing so I think we came in with a killer offering that has many specs and features that are desirable and hard to beat. When you combine that with our all in price, which includes matching emissions legal software, I think the DTR is a home run.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
I think it's cool Garret did this. Before we went down the path of making our own systems we were in touch with them quite a bit, especially on other projects and platforms. We were always a fan of factory upgrades (IS38's / k04's, things of that nature), but they never had anything for the platforms we were after in the early days. Most probably don't know this, but it's not uncommon for multiple big players like Continental, IHI, Honeywell, and Borg Warner to make competing factory turbos in a bid to win the rights to make a unit for a production vehicle. Most of that work just gets thrown away.

I don't recall how much I can actually say, but ultimately we chose to go a different route. In doing so I think we came in with a killer offering that has many specs and features that are desirable and hard to beat. When you combine that with our all in price, which includes matching emissions legal software, I think the DTR is a home run.
The ceramic ball bearings over a journal bearing design alone is a huge win in my opinion.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
still here, i @ Arin@APR and he ignored me. i called apr and told them it whistles like crazy and they had no answer for me. its the worst part about this thing. if i knew it was going to sound like an f-250 i wouldnt of bought the thing
Did you put in a ticket?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
sooo I got a call today from APR notifying me that there is indeed an ECU revision ready for my car - yes, the R, after all. Lol. IDK what the tune revision entails, as all the info in here was supposed to only be for the FWD variants.

mo' powa baby?

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
sooo I got a call today from APR notifying me that there is indeed an ECU revision ready for my car - yes, the R, after all. Lol. IDK what the tune revision entails, as all the info in here was supposed to only be for the FWD variants.

mo' powa baby?
At a minimum, I hope it is the amount you paid for and the amount advertised.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R

mo' powa baby?
So when are you going to have it reflashed?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Not sure, my dealer was supposed to call me apparently, but maybe ill bother them tomorrow lol. Ill ask if they can gimme the scoop.

Last edited:

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Not sure, my dealer was supposed to call me apparently, but maybe ill bother them tomorrow lol. Ill ask if they can gimma the scoop.
You're lucky you have a dealer close by. Closest one to me is like 2 hours away.

Just a side note, the fact APR went out of their way to call us and let us know there is a tune revision is pretty fantastic customer service.