GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Just my quick two cents on the DTR since I finally got flashed yesterday. Just to recap, my car:
2015 Golf R Launch Edition #109 (early car.. not sure if it makes a difference anywhere)
-APR DTR 6054 HPFP & LPFP kit
-Stage 3 DTR Tune v 1.0 93 Octane
-DSG APR stage 3 TCU tune
-Unitronic IC
-Unitronic carbon intake
-APR redtop coils
-APR intercooler piping
-NGK-R7437-9 plugs gapped to 0.024

I tried to do everything APR recommended for the DTR. In my R, I noticed a definite jump from my Unitronic stage 2 tune. The whole powerband has definitely shifted up, but not in a bad way. The powerband still feels "full" from the added torque up top, and it's fun to rev it out to get there. In my s550 mustang, I put a Shelby gt350 intake manifold in it. It also raised the powerband and let the car rev out to 8200rpm, but it lost tq, so even though the car revved forever, it didn't feel as punchy. It actually made it feel kind of boring day to day, because realistically you're not screaming past 5k rpm everywhere, and anything under that it felt pretty lack luster. Honestly felt like a Honda with VTEC, but it still dynod at 440whp. So numbers aren't everything. Luckily this wasn't the case for the DTR at all. I dig it.

Where the IS38 would start dropping off around 6k rpm this thing keeps going. Around 4k rpm it's amazing how much it comes alive. In everyday RPM ranges, it's not as laggy as I expected it to be at all. I've driven my buddies "big turbo" STM evo on the street before, and its a dog around town unless you're really working the revs. I drove around quite a bit yesterday, and in traffic or just cruising around it honestly felt similar to the IS38 just without the crazy punchiness under 3k if you really got on it. Not a big deal just gotta rev it out some more. For being a "big turbo" tune, I cannot believe how smooth it is. APR really did a great job on the drivability on this tune, for both the ECU and TCU. I've had bad tunes before that make the gas pedal feel like a on off switch.. this ain't it one bit.

As far as the noise is concerned, yes if you have your windows down, you can definitely hear the turbo spooling, I think it sounds great. But if it gets annoying, once you roll the windows up you don't hear it at all. Perfect for me.

I did run into a couple snags, one being even though I made sure the wastegate rod was exactly the same length as it was on the IS38, I still had to adjust it after the install was said and done. When I checked it, it was at 3.2v instead of the 3.5-3.9 range it was supposed to be in. This wasn't super hard to adjust and there's a video from shopDap on it. Two, my IAT's were sky high, considering it was 63 out last night, my IAT's were at about 115-125F. I believe I narrowed this down to the USP boost tap I installed that sandwiches between the manifold and the MAP sensor. I ordered the APR boost tap instead. I also ordered a new MAP sensor, since they're 25$ shipped.. I figured it was cheap insurance incase something was up with mine.

Overall, even though I still have a couple gremlins to work out, but I feel pretty happy with the kit. The car honestly feels great. Once everything is 100%, I'll ask my buddy if I can throw it on his dyno to get some numbers for you guys. Also, my local track is opening up on may 25th, I'm planning to go down and get some track times and trap speeds as well. Hopefully I can spread some more positivity to this thread about the DTR.

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
boost tap I installed that sandwiches between the manifold and the MAP sensor.
Thank you so much for the review! I do want to touch on this: This is a big no-no. The MAP sensor is actually a TMAP sensor, so it reads temperature too. Boost taps that pull that sensor out of the manifold further will cause errors in the readings. I'd suggest anyone running one that does that to ditch it and go with another solution.

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
Just my quick two cents on the DTR since I finally got flashed yesterday. Just to recap, my car:
2015 Golf R Launch Edition #109 (early car.. not sure if it makes a difference anywhere)
-Unitronic IC
-Unitronic carbon intake
-APR redtop coils
-APR intercooler piping

I tried to do everything APR recommended for the DTR. In my R, I noticed a definite jump from my Unitronic stage 2 tune. The whole powerband has definitely shifted up, but not in a bad way. The powerband still feels "full" from the added torque up top, and it's fun to rev it out to get there. In my s550 mustang, I put a Shelby gt350 intake manifold in it. It also raised the powerband and let the car rev out to 8200rpm, but it lost tq, so even though the car revved forever, it didn't feel as punchy. It actually made it feel kind of boring day to day, because realistically you're not screaming past 5k rpm everywhere, and anything under that it felt pretty lack luster. Honestly felt like a Honda with VTEC, but it still dynod at 440whp. So numbers aren't everything. Luckily this wasn't the case for the DTR at all. I dig it.

Where the IS38 would start dropping off around 6k rpm this thing keeps going. Around 4k rpm it's amazing how much it comes alive. In everyday RPM ranges, it's not as laggy as I expected it to be at all. I've driven my buddies "big turbo" evo on the street before, and its a dog around town unless you're really working the revs. I drove around quite a bit yesterday, and in traffic or just cruising around it honestly felt similar to the IS38 just without the crazy punchiness under 3k if you really got on it. Not a big deal just gotta rev it out some more. For being a "big turbo" tune, I cannot believe how smooth it is. APR really did a great job on the drivability on this tune, for both the ECU and TCU. I've had bad tunes before that make the gas pedal feel like a on off switch.. this ain't it one bit.

As far as the noise is concerned, yes if you have your windows down, you can definitely hear the turbo spooling, I think it sounds great. But if it gets annoying, once you roll the windows up you don't hear it at all. Perfect for me.

I did run into a couple snags, one being even though I made sure the wastegate rod was exactly the same length as it was on the IS38, I still had to adjust it after the install was said and done. When I checked it, it was at 3.2v instead of the 3.5-3.9 range it was supposed to be in. This wasn't super hard to adjust and there's a video from shopDap on it. Two, my IAT's were sky high, considering it was 63 out last night, my IAT's were at about 115-125F. I believe I narrowed this down to the USP boost tap I installed that sandwiches between the manifold and the MAP sensor. I ordered the APR boost tap instead. I also ordered a new MAP sensor, since they're 25$ shipped.. I figured it was cheap insurance incase something was up with mine.

Overall, even though I still have a couple gremlins to work out, but I feel pretty happy with the kit. The car honestly feels great. Once everything is 100%, I'll ask my buddy if I can throw it on his dyno to get some numbers for you guys. Also, my local track is opening up on may 25th, I'm planning to go down and get some track times and trap speeds as well. Hopefully I can spread some more positivity to this thread about the DTR.

Thanks for posting this. I had a 2016 Mustang GT PP and can agree with you on that intake manifold. Sure, made power up top, but below that kinda sucked.

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I too can side with Patrykd07 that the driveability and overall smoothness of both the turbo and the tune is fantastic. not very punchy - and that can be registered as a good or bad thing depending on how you like to drive. Personally i have been really digging the overall feel. And having pull up into the high revs is definitely great. And, it still is definitely not a dog at low rpms; we are still talking about a car with plenty of torque!

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Just dropped the GTI off last night for install! I'm going from Stage 1 EQT to this, so I'm excited to see the difference.
Let us know of your impressions after picking it up. DSG ?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
-Unitronic IC
-Unitronic carbon intake
-APR redtop coils
-APR intercooler piping

Where the IS38 would start dropping off around 6k rpm this thing keeps going. Around 4k rpm it's amazing how much it comes alive. In everyday RPM ranges, it's not as laggy as I expected it to be at all. I've driven my buddies "big turbo" STM evo on the street before, and its a dog around town unless you're really working the revs. I drove around quite a bit yesterday, and in traffic or just cruising around it honestly felt similar to the IS38 just without the crazy punchiness under 3k if you really got on it. Not a big deal just gotta rev it out some more. For being a "big turbo" tune, I cannot believe how smooth it is. APR really did a great job on the drivability on this tune, for both the ECU and TCU. I've had bad tunes before that make the gas pedal feel like a on off switch.. this ain't it one bit.

Thanks for the update, it's refreshing to hear first a hand account after all the conjecture. How could a boost tap increase your IATs?I'm not arguing, just ignorant on this.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Thanks for the update, it's refreshing to hear first a hand account after all the conjecture. How could a boost tap increase your IATs?I'm not arguing, just ignorant on this.
It’s the specific boost tap style.

The map sensor has a prob that stick out into the intake manifold and gets the temp reading from the passing air, when you use the boost taps that space that sensor up it does 2 things: 1. Becomes a heat sink that attached to the map sensor. 2. Spaces that prob back from being in the direct path of airflow and basically now sits in a vertical tunnel of hot aluminum and creates false readings to the ecu.