GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Anyone run an 8mm spacer w/o a lip on the rears w/o issue? Looking at adding 3mm front, 8mm rear.

I’m running 12.5 mm up front and 20 mm in the rear stock wheels?

Not sure if your asking about the lip on the actual spacer or not ..

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Here’s a dumb question: what parts would actually be involved with switching a non PP GTI to a Performance package brake system?

Is it as simple as switching calipers/rotors and calling it a day or is there a lot more involved in regards to what needs to be done? (New control arm/new knuckle/new hub..etc)

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Had an idea to use a universal style diffuser on my gti and wanted input.

I drew up what I'd have in mind and a Pic of the diffuser.

Only concerns is the silver plate would be OK to mount to and how close can this material be to the exhaust without issues. Thoughts?
apr_exhaust_catback_mk7_gti_installed_full_003~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220506-111953_eBay.png

Last edited:

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Anyone tried out Savanini subframe collars? I know the Tyrol sport kit is the go to, but Curious if this may be worth it for the price.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33009968022.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.443d2e90XwxozF&algo_pvid=af67b3af-aabe-4149-8e79-32affc2dddd7&algo_exp_id=af67b3af-aabe-4149-8e79-32affc2dddd7-17&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"67166220178"}&pdp_npi=1@dis|USD||30.03|||||@2103399116518646762358657e991d|67166220178|sea

Edit: doesn't look like they come with bolts, but for 66 bucks for front and rear I'm tempted to try them. 🤔
What does this do / solve?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
What does this do / solve?
From tyrolsport:
Front:
Deadset Kit Benefits

All Tyrolsport Deadset kits are designed to not only eliminate annoying subframe popping and shifting but it also isolates the suspension.

Notable Benefits:
  • Better steering response
  • Tighter turn in
  • Better braking performance
  • Improvement over all road surfaces
  • Better chassis to road feel / Driver feedback
  • Allows for tighter / consistent alignment specs
Rear:
TyrolSport rear subframe deadset collars for front wheel drive vehicles. Similar to our popular front subframe Deadset kit ,designed to concentrically locate the subframe mounting position. This kit eliminates the common subframe shifting issues associated with the mk5/6 chassis. Our collars are machined out of 954 Billet Bronze Alloy for the ultimate in strength and corrosion resistance. *Includes new oem hardware.

Basically makes it so the front and rear subframe can't shift around while driving.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Anyone tried out Savanini subframe collars? I know the Tyrol sport kit is the go to, but Curious if this may be worth it for the price.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33009968022.html

Edit: doesn't look like they come with bolts, but for 66 bucks for front and rear I'm tempted to try them. 🤔

I was more comfortable using a steel material versus a softer material like aluminum. But I’m just an internet warrior, not a engineer.

But give them a shot, they look like all the other look-alike parts on aliexpress.

The only thing I experience from the bullet list above is the very last one, the rest I chuckle at.

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I was more comfortable using steel material on the collars, versus a softer material like aluminum.

I was more comfortable using a steel material versus a softer material like aluminum. But I’m just an internet warrior, not a engineer.

But give them a shot, they look like all the other look-alike parts on aliexpress.

The only thing I experience from the bullet list above is the very last one, the rest I chuckle at.
I was thinking that too. The Racingline kit is aluminum too after some research. Tyrolsport is Aluminum brackets with bronze collars, which is stronger than aluminum after a quick google, and is cast. 🤷‍♂️

Tyrol sport just has the ARP stainless steel fasteners, which I wonder if you can purchase separately.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Paging all the Chinesium experts: When you find 5 listings for what appears to be the same exact thing on AliExpress how do you decide which one to try your luck with?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Paging all the Chinesium experts: When you find 5 listings for what appears to be the same exact thing on AliExpress how do you decide which one to try your luck with?

Seller store rating, and shipping speed.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
@Acadia18 for his expertise in this area.

Ja_mill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 6MT GTI
I have the motive bleeder. Only used it once so far but it worked perfectly. It's the only one I've ever used so I dont have anything to compare it to, but there were no issues using it.
It did take a while of pumping by hand to get the pressure built up though.