I found this in the garage looking for my pool stuff

1651455424941.jpeg

Who recognizes this?

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I have to ask the question.

What is the purpose of that thing at the end of the barrel? It looks like a bayonet but obviously that's not the case. While the idea that once the crew runs out of ammo they can pick up the gun and try to ram an enemy with it is hilarious to imagine that's never going to happen. Why is it there?

1651504848851.png

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have to ask the question.

What is the purpose of that thing at the end of the barrel? It looks like a bayonet but obviously that's not the case. While the idea that once the crew runs out of ammo they can pick up the gun and try to ram an enemy with it is hilarious to imagine that's never going to happen. Why is it there?

View attachment 248009

Its a muzzle brake with a towing eye built in..you're seeing it edge on..I've seen them in real life ..living near to 4 military bases helps..or not!?.. :unsure: 🤷‍♂️

Why do the US Army's towed artillery pieces and howitzers have long bayonet-like protruding arms/probes under the muzzle brake? - Quora

cb1111

Its a muzzle brake with a towing eye built in..you're seeing it edge on..I've seen them in real life ..living near to 4 military bases helps..or not!?.. :unsure: 🤷‍♂️

Why do the US Army's towed artillery pieces and howitzers have long bayonet-like protruding arms/probes under the muzzle brake? - Quora
In addition - and this is mostly a western thing - many of these weapons may be towed on public roads (from the railhead to the range for example) and we don't want to scare civilians on the Autobahn.

Primarily though, it makes it far easier to tow.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's a real shame Russian military sites and transportation infrastructure keeps blowing up.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

cb1111

Finland and Sweden intensify talks on joint NATO application (defensenews.com)

The Russians Are Losing The Naval War Off Ukraine—To An Enemy With No Warships (msn.com)

Poland Says It’s Ready To Help Germany Stop Using Russian Oil | Watch (msn.com)

Finnish group scraps nuclear plant deal with Russia's Rosatom (msn.com)

In cyber conflict, Ukraine has an underdog advantage over Russia (msn.com)

Propaganda expert: Russians living a big uncertainty, not a big lie | Watch (msn.com)

EU to reject Moscow demands to pay roubles for Russian gas (msn.com)

Amb. Taylor: Lavrov’s Hitler comments show ‘evil nature of the Russian government’ and ‘ludicrous’ justification for invasion | Watch (msn.com)

Amb. Michael McFaul: "There's now momentum on the side of the Ukrainians" | Watch (msn.com)

Opinions | Five ways of looking at nuclear escalation in Ukraine (msn.com)

Vladimir Putin is on the horns of a life-or-death dilemma (msn.com)

The loneliest Russian in the world - UnHerd

And from Edward Luttwak How the Ukraine war must end - UnHerd although his conclusion is absurd. The new Soviet Union needs to come out of this weaker and with a huge black eye - they actually need to look like they got mauled by a rabid dog.

Has Putin overplayed his hand? - UnHerd

For those of you unfamiliar with Luttwak, he is the author of Coup d'État: A Practical Handbook - Wikipedia

Ukrainian resistance has continued to push Russian troops further from Kharkiv (msn.com)

No, Hitler wasn't Jewish, despite what the Kremlin is saying to justify its invasion of Ukraine (msn.com)

Lavrov’s anti-Semitic outburst exposes absurdity of Russia’s “Nazi Ukraine” claims - Atlantic Council

Europe scrambles for long-term fix after Putin cuts off gas (msn.com)

US unable to confirm Putin planning power transfer for cancer treatment (msn.com)

Russia's nuclear rhetoric has a reality problem (msn.com)

Keeping Europe united: A roadmap for avoiding Russia's trap - Atlantic Council

Finally! German MPs back heavy weapons for Ukraine in historic vote - Atlantic Council

As support for Ukraine accelerates, key US senators explore the next moves to prevent a Russian victory - Atlantic Council

Last edited:

cb1111

what constitutes rash?

a coup?
Psoriasis?

Quite frankly, Russian hospitals (including the "good" ones) are crap and everybody who can afford it goes out of the country for any medical care - Putin could afford it, but clearly can't afford to leave.

He can bring in doctors and some equipment for something simple, but he can't bring in a state-on-the-art oncology clinic.

Russians go to the UK for dental care - and that is saying a lot (sorry Golfy...)