GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

On open intakes, does the brand of filter on the end of the pipe make any difference? I've been using an aftermarket filter from AEM, but I put the filter from IE back on it the other day and it sounds louder, which i prefer.
Think about this. The purpose of the filter is to filter out crap from getting into the engine. If a different filter changes the noise, then it is either filtering less or more.

Louder = less filtering

Is that what you want?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Think about this. The purpose of the filter is to filter out crap from getting into the engine. If a different filter changes the noise, then it is either filtering less or more.

Louder = less filtering

Is that what you want?
hell ya it is. car would've been left stock otherwise

vroom

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Here's a dumb one: am I missing some kind of cover for around the OBD port? There's two screw holes but.. seemingly nothing that goes in them. My hunch is more 7.5 de-contenting but want to double check..

IMG_1801.jpeg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

TSIproblems

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI
Dumb questions. First GTI, 2015 with 70k miles. I am not getting any / very little boost, had an EPC light a few months back with the Wastegate Stuck open code, I believe it was P0299. Hasn't come back on in months but the car drives poorly and I get a lot of vibrations at lower RPM, <3000. It's currently on the lift getting a new oil pan gasket, while it's up there I am checking out the wastegate arm. Everything moves freely, VCDS is saying that I have 2.617V to the actuator. With ignition on car not running the actuator holds the watsegate slightly open, picture attached. I can close it manually and set voltage but it automatically opens when I let go so that I haven't been able to run the adaptation.

Dumb questions:
1. Should the wastegate move when in the closed position? Video attached, if possible.
2. Will holding the actuator arm closed and setting voltage and running adaptation tell the actuator to hold the wastegate closed?
3. Can I buy only the wastegate actuator if I don't need a new turbo?
4. Anyone in the Northern Virginia area that isn't a dealer who you'd recommend look at it? It's new to me, so I'm not sure what's been done to it, I replaced the clutch and someone put on a solid flywheel, ECS Tuning Clutch Bleeder, and it looks like aftermarket downtube also.

Attachments

• IMG_3264.JPG
    IMG_3264.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 49

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Here's a dumb one: am I missing some kind of cover for around the OBD port? There's two screw holes but.. seemingly nothing that goes in them. My hunch is more 7.5 de-contenting but want to double check..

View attachment 245594

my mk7 is the same

Yeah, you guys are getting shafted.

1649708275485.png

Image is mirrored since I used the front facing camera, thats the OBD port on the bottom right. But there should be a panel there. I had it in both my 2016 GTI and the 2017 R.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Pretty sure that panel is sitting in my living room with my weathertech drivers floor mat. Doing some BCM wiring so i've left it out. Could see if I can pull the PN for you guys.