GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PCV “Blowby” and Oil Surge

atimlow

Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTI
Hey guys, just wanting some insight on what to do next.
I have a ‘15 GTI, stage 2, 113k miles. I’ve been dealing with “Blowby” or White Smoke coming out the back of my car when breaking after a WOT through a full gear or two. I just recently replaced it with the one you see below, after doing some research it showed to be the most recent and updated revision of the PCV Valve. I replaced it, and it’s still happening. It consumes oil after it does the white smoke, as I always check the dip stick after it happens and oil level drops. This happens on e85 and Pump gas, I’ve tried multiple different tunes as well. I’m not sure what to do as it’s obviously pretty embarrassing to drive around/cruise with friends and have that happen.

Attachments

• A6AAFEF6-DCE4-4D77-9AD0-7975F868A732.png
    A6AAFEF6-DCE4-4D77-9AD0-7975F868A732.png
    731.7 KB · Views: 124

atimlow

Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTI

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
As in like you replaced it and had the white smoke still?
I was having oil surge when autocrossing. The BL PCV actually made the issue worse in that I got oil surge and LOTS of exhaust soot in daily driving. Something about these 2015's.... Because the BL has worked for later years to stop the surging.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I was having oil surge when autocrossing. The BL PCV actually made the issue worse in that I got oil surge and LOTS of exhaust soot in daily driving. Something about these 2015's.... Because the BL has worked for later years to stop the surging.

Going through this issue now, but it’s fairly intermittent. Just ordered the BM rev PCV and will be removing the CTS catch can to see if that remedies the issue for me. @mrmattolsen, did you resolve the issue? It seems like I read you went with a different catch can but can’t remember if that was you or if I’m confusing with someone else.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Going through this issue now, but it’s fairly intermittent. Just ordered the BM rev PCV and will be removing the CTS catch can to see if that remedies the issue for me. @mrmattolsen, did you resolve the issue? It seems like I read you went with a different catch can but can’t remember if that was you or if I’m confusing with someone else.
I put my stock PCV back in and just put in a simple inline catch can from BMS. It works perfectly. Catches a couple squirts of oil when I drive hard at autocross and remains empty otherwise. No more oil surge smoke or misfires.

Pierreoj

Car(s)
Alltrack 2018
Hi,
Do you have an update if the BM revision worked on your car?

Thank you :)

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
I have heard of the PCV made for the audi transverse applications...doesn't have the giant scoop on the bottom (speculation...but obvious physical change...)corrects or greatly reduces the issue.. As the oil surge is caused by the deceleration Gs under braking...the BL revision of the part...
As stated a catch can mitigate the issue, but if the stock pcv is in place... a can could fill up in short order...something to be aware of

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/separator/06k103495bl/
IMO...the BL PCV and a BMS can should stop it....or using a pcv plate replacement like the 034 on and a can...

Last edited: