GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

albertitok23

Car(s)
gti clubsport mk7
I don't, but there is a template in the first post that should give you a good idea if they'll fit.
I thought the data on the first page was for the Macan pliers.
My query is for the 4-piston brembo calipers that mount the cupra with 370mm but to put them in 340mm

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My query is for the 4-piston brembo calipers that mount the cupra with 370mm but to put them in 340mm

Not sure what you're taking about. This whole thread is about the Macan 4 pot Brembos. I have no idea what Brembos you're referring.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/ttrs-brembo-upgrade-info.392933/
These are the calipers you're referring to.
Protrack are a rare wheel outside Europe, so I don't know if you'll find anyone to confirm it here, but they seem to have good barrel clearance, so I would assume at most you need a spacer.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
annnnnd...

to get this thread back on target (the first rule of macan 4 pot brakes thread is we only talk about macan 4 pot brakes), i'll drop a post on my install here. Will add more pics as I take them.

Thanks to all contributors here. Over a few days i read every single post here (cept'n the first post, cause ain't nothin' there i need)...

My 2022 Q3 MQB has the same floating calipers as the mk7 GTI, same rotors, and apparently the same lines (test fit and length and attachment points were identical).

I grabbed a pair of secondhand, unused macan calipers which came with neuspeed lines and the high temp dust covers. They were g2 yellow. Thanks scrllock.

Test fit them and wasn't in love with the added bling of the yellow. My car is black with the black optic package and tinted front windows. Only thing not back are the wheels which are titanium-ish.

Installing with the following:
Zimmermann (345mm) 1K0615301M rotors from fcpeuro
neuspeed mk7 gti/R brake lines
hawk HPS 5.0 pads HB453B.585
a few liters of VW branded brake fluid
red rubber grease from oemwholesaleh on ebay

I am going to run 10mm spacers on the fronts, i got contact with the spokes and wanted to get more flush anyway (adding 15s on the rears for looks too). Could have likely gotten away with 5s, but i had the 10s on hand from my mk5 gti and mk7.

Also grabbed the matching pads for the rear.

First I separated the halves of the calipers and removed the pistons, valves, and crossovers
Removed the g2 using cleanstrip and toothbrushes
I painted the outer halves with VHT satin black (3-4 coats) then cured in the oven at 200f for a couple hours

Added high temp logos left the backing on till i get them installed to protect the vinyl during install.

I intend to bleed with a motive at 30psi, and run the abs pump cycle a few times to see if I can get residual bubbles out then bleed some more.

I'll throw more pics up as i get them fit.

PXL_20220326_121238776.jpg
PXL_20220326_121255858.jpg
PXL_20220326_121227337.jpg
PXL_20220326_121150658.jpg

PXL_20220326_184046126.jpg

PXL_20220326_190647319.jpg

PXL_20220326_203530501.jpg

PXL_20220326_185658514.jpg

PXL_20220326_184833025.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220326_190635879.jpg
    PXL_20220326_190635879.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
annnnnd...

to get this thread back on target (the first rule of macan 4 pot brakes thread is we only talk about macan 4 pot brakes), i'll drop a post on my install here. Will add more pics as I take them.

Thanks to all contributors here. Over a few days i read every single post here (cept'n the first post, cause ain't nothin' there i need)...

My 2022 Q3 MQB has the same floating calipers as the mk7 GTI, same rotors, and apparently the same lines (test fit and length and attachment points were identical).

I grabbed a pair of secondhand, unused macan calipers which came with neuspeed lines and the high temp dust covers. They were g2 yellow. Thanks scrllock.

Test fit them and wasn't in love with the added bling of the yellow. My car is black with the black optic package and tinted front windows. Only thing not back are the wheels which are titanium-ish.

I am going to run 10mm spacers on the fronts, i got contact with the spokes and wanted to get more flush anyway (adding 15s on the rears for looks too). Could have likely gotten away with 5s, but i had the 10s on hand from my mk5 gti and mk7.

First I separated the halves of the calipers and removed the pistons, valves, and crossovers
I painted the outer halves with VHT satin black (3-4 coats) then cured in the oven at 200f for a couple hours

Added high temp logos left the backing on till i get them installed to protect the vinyl during install.

I intend to bleed with a motive at 30psi, and run the abs pump cycle a few times to see if I can get residual bubbles out then bleed some more.

I'll throw more pics up as i get them .
Do you have the ability to do the adaptions?

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Do you have the ability to do the adaptions?
As long as I can get the security code that works with my modules. Vcds on this car is a bit different than my gti was. Same with the abs pump cycling.

It's the UDS on this car. Some stuff if grayed out that was available in my gti. Also, long coding helper isn't yet available for some if my modules.

If my values are different, I'll post up a screenshot for others that might need to reference.

EDIT:
I got to the settings, but having issues implementing.

brake boost:

sec1.jpg

sec2.jpg

brake boost.jpg

sec3.jpg

back to the drawing board.

it doesn't want to let me implement any of the settings the "workshop code" won't populate a value after i make changes
I tried each of the three security codes plus the ones in the first post, each says "controller refused to send a seed"

nada

I had such an easier time with my microcan on my gti. This hexv2 has been close to useless (or maybe it's just the newer computer and that rosstech hasn't yet updated all the modules

long coding helper always says this:
longcoding.jpg

even in the regular control modules under central electronics

Last edited:

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Couple more pics of mine
PXL_20220326_175457817.jpg
PXL_20220326_175506667.jpg
PXL_20220326_175846421.jpg
PXL_20220326_180922843.jpg
PXL_20220326_182300052.jpg

Used a tire brush and power seats to hold the pedal down. Lost like 2 drops per line.
PXL_20220326_183047889.jpg

Torqued to 2 ugga duggas
PXL_20220326_181342892.jpg

PXL_20220326_183300410.jpg

Followed bleeding order and did not cycle the ABS pump.

Took it out to bed and was pleasantly surprised at how good it felt with no VCDS changes (cause i couldn't get the codes to work yet).

Did a bunch of 40-1mph stops and a few ABS activation stops.

Light grinding noise of the rotor coating went away after like 2 stops. Feeling is better than stock all around.

Liking these hawk pads, had them on my gti before i added pp brakes and kinda knew what i was getting into.

Thanks again everybody for the contributions here. Super happy i went with this mod.

Confirmed fitment for f3 q3, brake lines and all.

Also, for any other q3 folks, neither fronts or backs have pad wear sensors. And the stock rotor shields for the 345mm rotors with no modification. Not even bending.

Got the car a little cleaner. Had to snap a pic. Salt trucks we're out today so not staying clean for long.
PXL_20220327_111704765.jpg
PXL_20220327_111716977.jpg

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
annnnnd...

I'll throw more pics up as i get them fit.

View attachment 243877View attachment 243878View attachment 243879View attachment 243880
View attachment 243923

View attachment 243924
View attachment 243925

View attachment 243926

View attachment 243927
Glad to see they worked out! Looks much better ;)

a$ap

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Alright.....So I'm going on week 2 with these brakes installed. Initially, after the first few brake bleeds and after abs stops, the linear stopping feel was pretty good. There was still a dead pedal when first pressing brakes. I've bled the brakes 5 times since installing (in proper order with 30 psi motive bleeder) and no luck getting that dead space out. I did the odb11 mods but did not do the RRG.
I am running ATE-200 fluid with power stop Z26 pads
I like the brake feel but that dead space is a no go. It does stiffen up after a quick pump.
I plan on taking apart pistons and greasing as soon as that gets delivered.

Would it be worth it to install RPV's while I have the Calipers out or will the Red Rubber Grease be sufficient enough?
A weird issue going on is my brake pedal has a squeak to it now. Air in MC?
Any way to bleed MC?
Any one figure out how to cycle ABS while bleeding?

MaxM97

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SEL 6MT
Alright.....So I'm going on week 2 with these brakes installed. Initially, after the first few brake bleeds and after abs stops, the linear stopping feel was pretty good. There was still a dead pedal when first pressing brakes. I've bled the brakes 5 times since installing (in proper order with 30 psi motive bleeder) and no luck getting that dead space out. I did the odb11 mods but did not do the RRG.
I like the brake feel but that dead space is a no go. It does stiffen up after a quick pump.

Would it be worth it to install RPV's while I have the Calipers out or will the Red Rubber Grease be sufficient enough?
Any way to bleed MC?
That squeak is due to the brake fluid you used. There’s other threads about how ATE 200 causes a pedal squeak in newer VW’s.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Any way to bleed MC?
It would be worth not using ATE 200 and using the RRG.

No amount of bleeding will reduce piston retraction. RRG will cut it in half and ATE200 is known to have issues with the mk7 braking system.

RPV's probably work really well, but you can end up with pad drag and it's just another piece that can fail or leak.

I swear to Zeus, I'm just going to block the next person that does this mod without using RRG, then complains about retraction.

scrllock

Autocross Champion

Any way to bleed MC?
What @GTIfan99 said.

Honestly, the true, final solution to the pedal feel is to rebuild your calipers with anti-knockback springs. And doing that will reduce pad life significantly. If you haven't done the ABS module adaptation changes, those also make a big difference.
I would also recommend using different pads, pedal feel can change quite a bit and a lot of people having difficulties are using the powerstop crap. It's a very, very common pad shape, so there are tons of options.

MaxM97

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SEL 6MT
What @GTIfan99 said.

Honestly, the true, final solution to the pedal feel is to rebuild your calipers with anti-knockback springs. And doing that will reduce pad life significantly. If you haven't done the ABS module adaptation changes, those also make a big difference.
I would also recommend using different pads, pedal feel can change quite a bit and a lot of people having difficulties are using the powerstop crap. It's a very, very common pad shape, so there are tons of options.
The OBD mods made a big difference for me (no RRG in my setup). Still dead space but I’ve learned to drive around it. I’m thinking of ditching these Powerstop though and trying the Ferodo DS2500’s and see how those feel.

a$ap

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Ok sounds good, Im hopeful to get these calipers feeling right.
Going to flush the brakes with Motul 600 and grease pistons as soon as I can.

What's the general consensus on pads for street use?